Your Favorite Music Memory

beautiful thread....but my music memory is from music when I wasn't even born yet

that does even count

This one always reminds me of the summer between HS and college, just before everyone started to go their own way.

Mungo Jerry- In The Summertime

This one came out later that year, not long after I turned 18.

Alice Cooper- I'm Eighteen

In the 80's and 2000's there were some great musicians who performed at Toad's Place in New Haven. John McLaughlin with his new Mahavishnu band featuring Jonas Hellborg (he used to do a Little Wing solo) is probably the highlight. Also saw Al Di Meola, Paco De Lucia, Billy Cobham, Steve Morse, John Entwistle, John Paul Jones (played bass and a pedal steel guitar that was loud as fuck), Mississippi Allstars (famous for backing Shawn Lane on certain gigs back in the day), at Toad's. At the Ridgefield Playhouse saw the late, great Allan Holdsworth from about 5 rows back.

Here is a vid of Jonas Hellborg during the Mahavishnu days.

And I believe they sold out 6 straight nights at Madison Square Garden that year, and what turned out to be one of Bonzo's last tours.

Yes! Same thing here, had to skip school the next day and wore the classic Swan Song T-shirt the following day which unfortunately did not save after it got holes in it from use. I recall to get tickets we had to keep on eye on the New York Post and then respond to an address they indicated. I am not sure which night I was there though I think it was June 7, 1977. One of my older brothers who drove me actually went to two shows and he used to save his concert stubs. Gotta find out. Been checking You Tube vids of it.

Last edited:
I heard this song when I really needed it.

Abba is in the most memorable, even if not favorably, music moments of my kids. Back in the day, we played our vinyl just one time: to transfer it to tape - originally 10" reels, later 8-track and then HQ VHS, and later cassette (Cassette is much older than HQ VHS but early cassettes didn't support the requisite quality for the archiving task.)

It was in the vinyl-to-cassette era that I bought, among several other albums that day, Abba's Greatest Hits. At the end of a long day of record shopping and then recording to cassette, I fell asleep at the table and, without thinking, managed to get myself into the bed - with the Abba LP on the record player.. in repeat mode so it played to the end and restarted... over and over again, all night long. For 40 years now, Abba never comes up in any context, radio play, news story, anything, without hearing about that night of Abba all night long.

I have a lot of them. I grew up in the 70's and 80's. All I have are memories of music coming out of an AM radio football helmet that I got when I was an early teen. A golden age of music. What are your favorite music memories of your formative years?

Led Zeppelin II on vinyl. Played it EVERY SINGLE DAY when I came home from school

I am 14 years old, shopping at the local Safeway , they have murals of pioneers in conestoga wagons on the walls They sold candy Marlboros or Viceroys. What where they playing on the store intercom?

I have another good memory- it was the Santana Blues for Salvador tour
at the Fox Theater in Atlanta Georgia in 1988. Wound up going to the show by myself because nobody else wanted to go at the time so only bought one ticket. It was still a great show and I was seated in a row full of women...bonus. Too bad my soon to be wife was meeting me downtown after the show. ( Ironically the first time I saw Santana was in 1973 - my Mom took me )

This was the closing encore song at the Fox. Great seats too - like 20th row.

Last edited:
This one reminds me of the summer I spent driving a Good Humor truck. After a couple of days tagging along with a vet, I got my first assignment, which happened to be just sitting in one spot in a public park. Pretty easy first gig except that it started to pour buckets for about two hours before I decided it was ridiculous to stay and headed back to base. Well, by the time I got there it had stopped raining and the sun was shining. I was really embarrassed and never came in a again until normal check-in time, no matter how hard or long it rained.

The Doors- Riders on the Storm

My favorite memory is hanging out with The Jam after a show of theirs in Madison Wisconsin in 1977. Very nice chaps.

Forum List

Back