Your Favorite Music Memory

JackOfNoTrades

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 30, 2019
Granite State
I have a lot of them. I grew up in the 70's and 80's. All I have are memories of music coming out of an AM radio football helmet that I got when I was an early teen. A golden age of music. What are your favorite music memories of your formative years?

I have a lot of them. I grew up in the 70's and 80's. All I have are memories of music coming out of an AM radio football helmet that I got when I was an early teen. A golden age of music. What are your favorite music memories of your formative years?

Great thread idea, Jack! And an interesting question. I have many fond music memories, but I think my favorite one is when I saw Elton John and percussionist extraordinaire, Ray Cooper, in concert in the late summer/early fall of 1979 in Tempe, Arizona. The first half of the show was just Elton and his piano, and Ray Cooper joined him on percussion for the second half of the show. Elton was still in very fine vocal form then, his piano playing was brilliant, and Cooper's percussion work was amazing. In second place is probably when my dad played Cosmo's Factory, a wonderful album by Creedence Clearwater Revival, for the family, in late 1970. It was the first time I'd heard CCR, and I loved their music from the start. And I STILL like listening to it.

Great thread idea, Jack! And an interesting question. I have many fond music memories, but I think my favorite one is when I saw Elton John and percussionist extraordinaire, Ray Cooper, in concert in the late summer/early fall of 1979 in Tempe, Arizona. The first half of the show was just Elton and his piano, and Ray Cooper joined him on percussion for the second half of the show. Elton was still in very fine vocal form then, his piano playing was brilliant, and Cooper's percussion work was amazing. In second place is probably when my dad played Cosmo's Factory, a wonderful album by Creedence Clearwater Revival, for the family, in late 1970. It was the first time I'd heard CCR, and I loved their music from the start. And I STILL like listening to it.

You jogged my favorite Elton John song. Might be early 70's but I only remember it after 1976.

You jogged my favorite Elton John song. Might be early 70's but I only remember it after 1976.

He MAY have done this song that night, I honestly can't remember. Either this song, or Tiny Dancer, which were both on the same album, Madman Across The Water.

I have so many favorites, but with the going forward of Joe Diffie being so recently still, here is my most favorite memory of him beginning at the 1:21:16 mark of this clip.

God bless you and his family always!!!

Holly

Crosby Stills & Nash remind me of some great summer days. Suite: Judy Blue Eyes, Wooden Ships, Southern Cross

Last edited:
My eldest daughter's first concert was at the Oakland Coliseum and was Pink Floyd's final U.S. tour, this concert looks familiar but I recall some blown-up pigs.. :dunno:

Dang .. talk about your contact high..

My eldest daughter's first concert was at the Oakland Coliseum and was Pink Floyd's final U.S. tour, this concert looks familiar but I recall some blown-up pigs.. :dunno:

Dang .. talk about contact high..

The only top 60s band I missed in concert.

Dammit.

I have two...the first is going to a show by the Coral Reefer Band at the China Club in Aspen and having Jimmy Buffet, George Harrison and Eric Clapton join them on stage and play for a little over an hour. The second is getting to see the very first concert the Eagles did when they got back together...a charity event at the Ritz Carleton in Aspen.

This is an easy one for me, and I've seen a bunch of concerts.
1977 - I was 16, sophomore in high school, Led Zeppelin was in town for 2 sold out shows at the Richfield Ohio Coliseum, and I was at school that day of the first show and out of the blue a girl I knew had 2 tickets and her friend couldn't go so I bought it for $20 and picked her up and we went . 16 th row ! And Marge and I were doing mescaline and smoking hashish -it was an amazing night, needless to say.;):cool:

What a great, great show ! It was the Song Remains the Same tour. And I believe they sold out 6 straight nights at Madison Square Garden that year, and what turned out to be one of Bonzo's last tours. :(
And Marge and I still keep in touch- she's in Colorado now.

Last edited:
I went to a Deicide show in Tampa where they threw a bucket of guts on the crowd. We were told before it was done, so most of the people backed away from the stage, and just a couple of rows of us were left at the front. It was funny stuff.
Sadly, it wasn't bloody guts, just guts. I had had a plan to go to a convenience store afterward covered in bloody mess and freak out the clerk, but that idea got ruined. :(

Forum List

Back