‘You don’t have to die in your seat’: Democrats stress over aging members

Strict, short term limits. Publicly-funded elections.
Seems simple, right? We advocate these things until we're blue in the face, and nothing ever changes. :dunno:
Our society, writ large, just doesn't care enough.
there is a specific requirement for that to happen, you need the House and the senate to vote to create an amendment and then you need 37 states to approve it. Failing those steps NOTHING can be done no matter how much you whine cry or complain about it.

The fault lies with the electorate. The problems never get resolved yet the majority of voters keep embracing incumbency. As long as they do nothing and get rewarded, why would they want to retire…
As long as money is allowed to buy politicians, nothing will change.
Well gipper, with all the money we spend on buying politicians you’d think that we’d at least be able to buy a few good ones, how do we end up always buying the bad apples of the bunch?
Lol. Who do you think buys politicians? Let me provide a clue. It isn’t anyone outside the .1%.

We have term limits, it is called elections. If the people of a State or district want to keep electing the same person that is their right and it is none of the rest of us business. Unless you honestly think those same reps are gonna ever approve an amendment that limits their terms LOL
Narrow minded bullshit. How the fuck is is none of my business when another district elects a crook who's decisions DIRECTLY IMPACT MY LIFE.

It is VERY MUCH MY BUSINESS
You have the right to elect whatever rep you like within your district. You cannot reasonably expect to tell people of another district how or who to vote for. That is what the major cities are trying to do with the electoral college. I certainly don't want the desires of the left wing from LA, SF, NYC, Baltimore, Portland and Seattle telling me who my representative is going to be.

But BOTH parties need to consider replacements for our elder 'statesmen'.

Thoughts?

I don't personally believe that the electorate as a collective is competent to decide leadership any more. The fact of the matter is that critical concepts and issues aren't even discussed in any kind of relevant manner any more, if at all. Not really. All we really see is a regurgitation of of the smut dished out on the cable news entertainment programming platforms. Again, collectively speaking there. To be fair, not everyone is a smut muppet.

But that's just my view on it.

As far as the career politicians, particularly the worst of the worst, I'm content to simply count down the days they have left on this planet. They've got rich making life for the electorate an Orwelian hell. As time catches up to them, the world will be a better place without them.

I've got some very aged wine reserved to toast the departing of a few of em in particular.

Last edited:
We have term limits, it is called elections. If the people of a State or district want to keep electing the same person that is their right and it is none of the rest of us business. Unless you honestly think those same reps are gonna ever approve an amendment that limits their terms LOL
Narrow minded bullshit. How the fuck is is none of my business when another district elects a crook who's decisions DIRECTLY IMPACT MY LIFE.

You have the right to elect whatever rep you like within your district. You cannot reasonably expect to tell people of another district how or who to vote for. That is what the major cities are trying to do with the electoral college. I certainly don't want the desires of the left wing from LA, SF, NYC, Baltimore, Portland and Seattle telling me who my representative is going to be.
Oh fuck off already. I have EVERY RIGHT to voice my opinion on the morons others elect. ESPECIALLY since their votes AFFECT MY LIFE DIRECTLY

looking at you Feinstein

After decades of the old white-wing KKK Dems like Feinstein, Clinton, Schumer, Pelosi, Kennedy, and Reid shutting out and holding down every (mostly black and brown) young Democrat, now they realize they're dying off and being replaced by the Nazi wing of the party? LOL, good riddance to the lot of them!

You’re right. It is time for the younger generations to move up. I have my doubts about some of those folks on both sides of the aisle, but their time has come. A gerontocracy is no way to run a country.
What doubts do you have about young Democrats and why?

At least one Democrat is thinking.

"But Democrats have been grappling with a noticeable generational divide within their ranks for some time — President Joe Biden and top Democratic congressional leaders are all well over 70. Ten of the 12 House members over the age of 80 are Democrats."

Ginsberg refused to retire, Breyer is being pushed to make way for a replacement while Democrats hold DC

But BOTH parties need to consider replacements for our elder 'statesmen'.

Thoughts?
Dems trying to RIG SCOTUS, shocker. They tried to drive Ginsburg out of her seat when Obama was in the White House.

You’re right. It is time for the younger generations to move up. I have my doubts about some of those folks on both sides of the aisle, but their time has come. A gerontocracy is no way to run a country.
I don‘t like extremists in either party. Rashid and Omar are two folks on the Democratic side I do not care for and disagree with, for instance.

I don‘t like extremists in either party. Rashid and Omar are two folks on the Democratic side I do not care for and disagree with, for instance.
Thank you for your honest answer.

Oh fuck off already. I have EVERY RIGHT to voice my opinion on the morons others elect. ESPECIALLY since their votes AFFECT MY LIFE DIRECTLY
I misunderstood what your position was. I agree that it is your business and you would be remiss to not keep tabs on all of these elected reps. I thought you were advocating for strict popular vote and that does a disservice to rural America.

And yet they’re no different from all the other people in Congress.

The Board pessimist pipes in

The Board pessimist pipes in
You mean board realist.

Strict, short term limits. Publicly-funded elections.

Change the system and motivations under which these people operate, and their behaviors will change, too.

Publicly funded elections are foolish. Why should normal people pay for the politicians to get elected? What we need is to remove campaign donation caps.....you should be able to give as much money to whatever candidate you want.......even corporations and private organizations.......that is freedom of speech...anything else is just the powerful trying to limit their competition.

Term limits protect me from your choices.........

Forum List

Back