‘You don’t have to die in your seat’: Democrats stress over aging members

Strict, short term limits. Publicly-funded elections.

Change the system and motivations under which these people operate, and their behaviors will change, too.
Publicly funded elections? Are you libtards that stupid? That will lead to entirely new class of politicians whose job is to run for office continuously! Why should I pay taxes to fund YOUR election?

We need more parties that are of significance and have enough leverage and resources so that our country could have about 3-4 parties with representation throughout Congress. It would be good for the country; diverse ideas and no gridlock.
That's pure bullshit! You want to become Israel or the UK where there are insufficient numbers of elected officials in one party to manage the government without a coalition? You would have eternal gridlock on every piece of legislation, down to naming post offices.

At least one Democrat is thinking.

"But Democrats have been grappling with a noticeable generational divide within their ranks for some time — President Joe Biden and top Democratic congressional leaders are all well over 70. Ten of the 12 House members over the age of 80 are Democrats."

Ginsberg refused to retire, Breyer is being pushed to make way for a replacement while Democrats hold DC

But BOTH parties need to consider replacements for our elder 'statesmen'.

Thoughts?
If the people are willing to reelect them even when they're 80 years old whose fault is it really?

We need more parties that are of significance and have enough leverage and resources so that our country could have about 3-4 parties with representation throughout Congress. It would be good for the country; diverse ideas and no gridlock.
That's pure bullshit! You want to become Israel or the UK where there are insufficient numbers of elected officials in one party to manage the government without a coalition? You would have eternal gridlock on every piece of legislation, down to naming post offices.

Agreed. How undemocratic for people to have more than two choices.........

"But Democrats have been grappling with a noticeable generational divide within their ranks for some time — President Joe Biden and top Democratic congressional leaders are all well over 70. Ten of the 12 House members over the age of 80 are Democrats."

Ginsberg refused to retire, Breyer is being pushed to make way for a replacement while Democrats hold DC

Thoughts?
What parties ? I wasn't invited to either one ???
No matter. I have agoraphobia.

Strict, short term limits. Publicly-funded elections.

Change the system and motivations under which these people operate, and their behaviors will change, too.
Publicly funded elections? Are you libtards that stupid? That will lead to entirely new class of politicians whose job is to run for office continuously! Why should I pay taxes to fund YOUR election?

The argument is then they are not beholding to those who fund their elections. I find two problems with this argument. First one is the one already discussed. These entities don't have votes themselves. They have people running them that vote but they still only have 1 vote each. The problem is with people on election day.

Second is this is not the only way a politician can be bought off. Book sales is an easy example. Politician is told someone will ghost write a book for them, get a big advance and the person buying them buys up books which get warehoused and eventually find their way to a bargain bin.

It seems to me that things do get ran in Israel and the U.K.

OK, shit for brains! You get more than two choices in the primary, you moron!

Okay, Boomer.

Thoughts?
Nothings changing...it will only get worse.
Dems have manufactured a new electorate, one that sees government as caretaker, one that votes for free shit and to dethrone whitey...nothing else.
Multiculturalism is destroying us from the inside out...we are an electorate that is too different with too many different needs / wants.
Start your research, find an all white nation to flee to...you’ll need to soon enough.

Try to fathom the fact that most all people work to scrape by. Yet somehow we elect rich people from both parties believing some how they know what's best for those so incredibly hard working barely making it. It is truly a phenomena. It needs to stop.
Yep, maybe we should take the party labels off the ballot and just put price tags next to each candidates name at least that way voters could make some informed buying decisions.:dunno:

Voters know but they pull the lever anyway.
Honestly I don’t believe voters have any idea how much electing XYZ candidate will cost them over the candidates term.

Put a price on each candidate at the ballot box along with a “Insert credit or debit card to process your selections…” and see how quick voting patterns change.:p

Try to fathom the fact that most all people work to scrape by. Yet somehow we elect rich people from both parties believing some how they know what's best for those so incredibly hard working barely making it. It is truly a phenomena. It needs to stop.
Yep, maybe we should take the party labels off the ballot and just put price tags next to each candidates name at least that way voters could make some informed buying decisions.:dunno:

Honestly I don’t believe voters have any idea how much electing XYZ candidate will cost them over the candidates term.

Put a price on each candidate at the ballot box along with a “Insert credit or debit card to process your selections…” and see how quick voting patterns change.:p

Maybe the cost to the voter should be their share of the current debt that was run up?

You used to have them in a manner of speaking.

You had Moderate Republicans. You had Moderate Democrats. You had Conservative Democrats and Liberal Republicans.

Conservatives all but eradicated the moderate and liberal Republicans. Liberals all but eradicated the Moderate and Conservative Democrats. Usually after a big loss. The parties declared the loss was because of RINO’s and DINO’s.

Okay, Boomer.
Boomer? Yes, I served on one. The only thing you ever served is at the free breakfast at your homeless shelter where you live.

I suggest reading the Constitution, which is something you should have done in school. I guess we need to revamp the GED requirements and raise the bar!

Yep, maybe we should take the party labels off the ballot and just put price tags next to each candidates name at least that way voters could make some informed buying decisions.:dunno:, h

Maybe the cost to the voter should be their share of the current debt that was run up?
It should be , however the current system foists those costs along with all the problems that our boys & girls in D.C. create upon the shoulders of future generations.

Today, we elect representatives to create new problems at ever an increasing cost, it’s almost like the system is designed to make excuses for spending an ever increasing share of the citizenries money on problems created by government.

Proposed new Constitutional Amendment : “Before the Federal Government shall create a new problem it shall solve at least two existing ones.”

Okay, Boomer.
Boomer? Yes, I served on one. The only thing you ever served is at the free breakfast at your homeless shelter where you live.

I suggest reading the Constitution, which is something you should have done in school. I guess we need to revamp the GED requirements and raise the bar!
Dubya told me almost all I needed to know. "It's just a GD piece of paper"
They wouldn't let him say / it's printed on HEMP !

The fault lies with the electorate. The problems never get resolved yet the majority of voters keep embracing incumbency. As long as they do nothing and get rewarded, why would they want to retire…
Well, look at our society, our culture. Folks can tell you who won "Dancing with the Stars" but they don't know the name of either of the last two Vice Presidents.

If we choose to continue the current system as is, we're just bending over for what we get. Just another self-inflicted wound. We tend to specialize in that.

but they don't know the name of either of the last two Vice Presidents.
Ben and Jerry?

kidding aside, I'd bet the majority don't know who their Senators are.

Forum List

Back