Zone1 You can now "gift" upgrades on the site

elchorizo

Platinum Member
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2009
From time to time we get a request from a user that wants to show support/love for another user by "gifting" them an account upgrade. In the past this wasn't possible without manually sending a payment and us having to manually update the user. However, we have installed a modification that will allow you to gift a user upgrade to other members. You can see the gift button on the normal user upgrade page here: https://www.usmessageboard.com/account/upgrades

We hope that this feature will make gifting upgrades easier if you choose to do so in the future. Thank you in advance.

Wait ... wouldn't "gifting" moderators be inviting abuse? ... what's the price for "accidentally" deleting my admin files? ... why not use an auction and maximize profit ... it's your monopoly after all ...

... or am I the first to think of this? ...

• Admin
I'd be more happy to hear you folks have fixed your broken spell-checker and a few other things not working right since the software upgrade in 2020.

Xenforo doesn't have a spell-checker. It's built into your browser, so that's up to you to fix.

• Admin
Wait ... wouldn't "gifting" moderators be inviting abuse? ... what's the price for "accidentally" deleting my admin files? ... why not use an auction and maximize profit ... it's your monopoly after all ...

... or am I the first to think of this? ...

Moderators don't need upgrades, it would be superfluous.

Xenforo doesn't have a spell-checker. It's built into your browser, so that's up to you to fix.

Well, there is something there because using my spell checker before it worked just fine on the old Xenforo software but when we upgraded to the latest version three years ago, it stopped working properly immediately. I use Firefox 78. Now you have to spell-check 2-3 times or ways to get it to detect typos! Meanwhile, my spellchecker works just fine on all other sites and apps, so, it must be allied to Xenforo somehow.

Well, there is something there because using my spell checker before it worked just fine on the old Xenforo software but when we upgraded to the latest version three years ago, it stopped working properly immediately. I use Firefox 78. Now you have to spell-check 2-3 times or ways to get it to detect typos! Meanwhile, my spellchecker works just fine on all other sites and apps, so, it must be allied to Xenforo somehow.
Let me chek the spellcheker for you.
1685481333992.png

Hmmmm .... seems to be working for me, but I don't use Firefox. Try this: Spell Check | Firefox Support Forum | Mozilla Support

Last edited:
Let me chek the spellcheker for you. Hmmmm .... seems to be working for me, but I don't use Firefox. Try this: Spell Check | Firefox Support Forum | Mozilla Support

Thanks. Problem only seems to be allied to here. Doing some reading in your link, I came across this:

Not all locales come with a dictionary installed due to licensing reasons.

Good chance there is some conflict between the dictionary installed and Firefox. They also said that the spell-check doesn't work on single lines and I often find that I can't get any spell checking until I hit the RETURN key after a sentence or paragraph. Never had this problem until the Xenforo upgrade done a little over three years ago. I've found that if I toggle the BB code, that this often seems to initiate the spell checker too, then it starts identifying typos!

Thanks. Problem only seems to be allied to here. Doing some reading in your link, I came across this:

Not all locales come with a dictionary installed due to licensing reasons.

Good chance there is some conflict between the dictionary installed and Firefox. They also said that the spell-check doesn't work on single lines and I often find that I can't get any spell checking until I hit the RETURN key after a sentence or paragraph. Never had this problem until the Xenforo upgrade done a little over three years ago. I've found that if I toggle the BB code, that this often seems to initiate the spell checker too, then it starts identifying typos!
Are you on a Mac by chance?

Yep. I run El Capitan OS on a MacPro desktop using Firefox as my primary browser and Safari only when I have to.
I did a little digging and found out that there is a known issue with Mac OS and Xenforo when it comes to the spell checker. Try adding Grammarly to Firefox and see if that helps.

I did a little digging and found out that there is a known issue with Mac OS and Xenforo

AYE!!! I hope I am not being premature, but I'm seeing already an immediate improvement in the spellchecking here at USMB now! With that Grammerly tool, everything seems to be working like aces! Pretty much all one might hope for.

THANK YOU for finding that.

Can I gift you with an upgrade to Site Administrator?? I'm guessing that you might hate me if I did! :SMILEW~130:

Seriously, thanks.

AYE!!! I hope I am not being premature, but I'm seeing already an immediate improvement in the spellchecking here at USMB now! With that Grammerly tool, everything seems to be working like aces! Pretty much all one might hope for.

Can I gift you with an upgrade to Site Administrator?? I'm guessing that you might hate me if I did! :SMILEW~130:

Seriously, thanks.
Glad it worked!

From time to time we get a request from a user that wants to show support/love for another user by "gifting" them an account upgrade. In the past this wasn't possible without manually sending a payment and us having to manually update the user. However, we have installed a modification that will allow you to gift a user upgrade to other members. You can see the gift button on the normal user upgrade page here: https://www.usmessageboard.com/account/upgrades

We hope that this feature will make gifting upgrades easier if you choose to do so in the future. Thank you in advance.

Well hell, if it doesn't cost anything to 'gift' people...

1685488692994.png

You're welcome, everyone - enjoy!

:laugh:

Seriously, thanks.

Amazing what happens when a little is research is done and someone makes an effort to fix it on their own instead of just complaining isn't it?

If only more citizens took it upon themselves to do that instead of waiting for someone else, or the government, to fix everything for them.....

Amazing what happens when a little is research is done and someone makes an effort to fix it on their own instead of just complaining isn't it?
If only more citizens took it upon themselves to do that instead of waiting for someone else, or the government, to fix everything for them.....

Well, maybe, if you have the time, and you know where to look and know about these things and if the fix actually works. Turns out that adding the Grammerly add-on isn't quite the fix it first appeared to be. Later last night, the spell check was back to acting pretty much like it used to, now it is kind of acting better in some ways but still not right. Very strange. Guess that's the price I pay for a browser which actually tries to protect my privacy, meanwhile, I'll continue to try to effect a better solution if I can, but I appreciate finally getting some attention to this issue which I suspect many others here have had as well; I raised the topic a couple of years ago on Announcements and FB and got no replies nor interest.

Forum List

Back