Yet another Big Leftist Lie

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

No one who is familiar with the U.S. Constitution seriously believes that any President has the Constitutional power to "cancel debt" to the government. Canceling debt is literally a theft from the U.S. taxpayers, implicitly the spending of tax dollars, and the province of CONGRESS, and Congress alone.

Our Beloved President, who graduated at the top of the bottom ten percent of his Law School Class, is of diminished mental capacity these days, but even he understands this Constitutional fact, although he essentially ignores it when he delays payments. He was formally told that he lacks this power over a year ago, but has chosen to keep the issue alive by not disclosing the contents of the advisory letter. Doing this, he hopes to buy some votes from the forty-one million people currently still in debt...the dream still lives of him simply canceling the loans. He holds out the explicit promise of canceling ten thousand dollars in debt per borrower. Nice man that he is.

Whether this would be good public policy - it would not - is another issue entirely, but we have a situation analogous to Barry Soetoro' gambit of a few years back when he repeatedly and correctly stated that he did not have the Constitutional authority to implement the "Dream Act" by Executive Order, then proceeded to do it anyway. Later corrected by the USSC.

One runs out of derogatory adjectives when describing America's political Left. Their conduct is simply stupefying.

No one who is familiar with the U.S. Constitution seriously believes that any President has the Constitutional power to "cancel debt" to the government. Canceling debt is literally a theft from the U.S. taxpayers, implicitly the spending of tax dollars, and the province of CONGRESS, and Congress alone.

Our Beloved President, who graduated at the top of the bottom ten percent of his Law School Class, is of diminished mental capacity these days, but even he understands this Constitutional fact, although he essentially ignores it when he delays payments. He was formally told that he lacks this power over a year ago, but has chosen to keep the issue alive by not disclosing the contents of the advisory letter. Doing this, he hopes to buy some votes from the forty-one million people currently still in debt...the dream still lives of him simply canceling the loans. He holds out the explicit promise of canceling ten thousand dollars in debt per borrower. Nice man that he is.

Whether this would be good public policy - it would not - is another issue entirely, but we have a situation analogous to Barry Soetoro' gambit of a few years back when he repeatedly and correctly stated that he did not have the Constitutional authority to implement the "Dream Act" by Executive Order, then proceeded to do it anyway. Later corrected by the USSC.

One runs out of derogatory adjectives when describing America's political Left. Their conduct is simply stupefying.
Since he has 22% approval from 30 and under crowd, he wants it to get to 27%

I completely agree that a president can not cancel debt on his own.

I just wish we were as adamant that GM and the banks had to pay back all the money they got.

Where is the lie?

Biden is trying to cancel student debt
Debt has been cancelled before

And? As I read it, The Constitution also does not contain a provision for the government creating a policy like the ACA, yet here we are.

Now before you run off on me here, in large part I agree with you that student debt should not be cancelled outright. It's more of philosophical point. If you go to college (community or otherwise) you should have to pay something. We can argue till we're blue in the face about our tax dollars being used fund education, the cost of schooling trade skills when most employers want to see a four year degree (if you're going to make anything other than peanuts), and the relevance of college for most young people (again, see employer requirements). Yes, I paid my full boat for my four year degree. But just wiping it away outright? Surely, we can talk about reducing it to make it more feasible that these former students will pay that sum back.

And? As I read it, The Constitution also does not contain a provision for the government creating a policy like the ACA, yet here we are.

Now before you run off on me here, in large part I agree with you that student debt should not be cancelled outright. It's more of philosophical point. If you go to college (community or otherwise) you should have to pay something. We can argue till we're blue in the face about our tax dollars being used fund education, the cost of schooling trade skills when most employers want to see a four year degree (if you're going to make anything other than peanuts), and the relevance of college for most young people (again, see employer requirements). Yes, I paid my full boat for my four year degree. But just wiping it away outright? Surely, we can talk about reducing it to make it more feasible that these former students will pay that sum back.
Higher education in this country is a betrayal of the American dream. They told us that we needed a degree to get anywhere in life and so the diploma mills started cranking out graduates at a rate that far exceeded the actual demand. Get out of school and guess what? The entry level positions will not even cover your normal bills much less the loans. I went into the trades so I did well pretty much immediately but I really feel sorry for the fresh graduates who get out of school and have to contend with each other for jobs to the point they have to settle for less.

Higher education in this country is a betrayal of the American dream. They told us that we needed a degree to get anywhere in life and so the diploma mills started cranking out graduates at a rate that far exceeded the actual demand. Get out of school and guess what? The entry level positions will not even cover your normal bills much less the loans. I went into the trades so I did well pretty much immediately but I really feel sorry for the fresh graduates who get out of school and have to contend with each other for jobs to the point they have to settle for less.
Agreed. Employers started demanding to see four year degrees (even if it had nothing to do with the job you were applying for) for even the most entry level jobs. Instead of making the investment in training and skill development. I feel I got off easy. Went to college for a degree and subsequent profession that I lasted barely 1.5 years in as an active employee. But I worked my way through school and was able to pay off all my student debt barely five years after I graduated. All for less than the cost of the average used car. That can't be said for today's students.

I will agree with Bernie that there should be an investment in community college to learn practical skills for the bulk of students who don't need a four year degree.
Should it be free?...no. Sorry, everybody pays. That's the only way the system would truly work.

I don't know where you guys are getting the idea that Biden is pushing for loan relief; he is resisting it with determination; it is the farther-left crowd, led by Chuck Schumer, who are pushing hard for it. The Higher Education Act of 1965 does give the Department of Education the right to theoretically wipe all federally-funded student loans off the table in a stroke, and the President can issue an EO instructing the Education Secretary to do so. Practically, though, the more it keeps the nation from collecting, the tougher the inevitable legal challenges will be.

As for the benefits, loan forgiveness of whatever amount would be a massive boost to the economy, but I can see at least as much wisdom in offering programs that help loanees help themselves. We should absolutely overhaul the utterly broken forgiveness-for-service programs, to start, and I would also support, for example, suspension of payments and 10% of total debt relief for each year someone spends as a public school teacher. Something like that.

No-cost Community College is a separate issue, but there's a lot we can do there, too.

Were he honest and competent, he would make a public statement, more or less as follows: "Since I lack the power under the Constitution, I cannot and will not cancel student loan debt." Even O'Bama was willing to make such statements when appropriate.

The unemployment rate for college graduates these days is less than TWO PERCENT. Most of the current debt is for GRAD SCHOOL. There is no reason on God's green earth to either delay repayment, suspend interest, or cancel any of this debt.

Loan forgiveness if immoral because it is THEFT. Just because you cannot identify the individual from whom the money is stolen doesn't change the fact that it is theft.

For the record, this is the LIE:

Biden is telling the forty-one million debtors that there is a still a chance that he will "forgive" these loans, or at least $10k per debtor. And he lacks the authority to do so. And he KNOWS that he lacks the authority to do so. But the LIE will keep these sorry fukkers hopeful, hopefully through the first week of November.

One seldom sees such crass, cynical political gambits, and it's always on the Left.

Forum List

Back