Worst cooking.

It wasn't a mistake but I had the pressure relief tube on a pressure cooker clog up one time when I wasn't be particularly attentive. I could hear the metal in the pot straining from the other room. I threw the breaker to the house reached around the corner with a broom to push it off the stove eye and ran like hell in the other direction. Fortunately it didn't explode, but I doubt I had a lot of time to spare before it would have the way the thing was sounding. I bought a replacement but I have not used it yet. I'm too chicken.

Sounds more like a dish washing mistake. Don't ever wash your cast iron skillet. A splash of water while it is still hot, wipe it out with a towel, a spritz of cooking spray and that's it. A well seasoned cast iron skillet is practically non-stick.

Sounds more like a dish washing mistake. Don't ever wash your cast iron skillet. A splash of water while it is still hot, wipe it out with a towel, a spritz of cooking spray and that's it. A well seasoned cast iron skillet is practically non-stick.
I found that out the hard way.

1651880887761.png

~S~

Of course we all like to tell about the most delicious meals we make, but we tend to avoid talking about our egregious cooking mistakes.

This thread is dedicated to what not to do.

I'll start.

I put eggs in a cold cast iron skillet. They stuck to it like superglue.
I was making a Scottish Desert called Cranachan , and when complete it looks and tastes fantastic. You have to put some oats in a skillet and brown till they smell like almonds, then mix it in with the Scotch Whiskey, honey and whipped creme and then layer it between cubed raspberries and when i got it all together it looked fantastic. Then i looked at the skillet and there were my oats...I mixed it all together looked like shit, but still tasted okay.

This is what it was supposed to look like. My finished product didnt look like this.

1651880972026.png

My worst cooking mistakes have been letting my various wives and girlfriends find out I was a way better cook than they were. The goddess I am with now didn't take it like an insult and just quit cooking like the others did.

I tend to bake my own bread. I just love fresh out of the oven warm bread. And I also love the smell of baking bread.

One time I forgot to put salt in the dough.

Never make bread without salt. It's not even edible. If you throw the loaves in the back yard, even the wildlife wants nothing to do with it. It's trash.

Last edited:
It wasn't a mistake but I had the pressure relief tube on a pressure cooker clog up one time when I wasn't be particularly attentive. I could hear the metal in the pot straining from the other room. I threw the breaker to the house reached around the corner with a broom to push it off the stove eye and ran like hell in the other direction. Fortunately it didn't explode, but I doubt I had a lot of time to spare before it would have the way the thing was sounding. I bought a replacement but I have not used it yet. I'm too chicken.
The chicken is supposed to be in the pot, not outside.

I used sweetened condensed milk...making a creamy potato soup. There was no fixing it.
It tasted truly foul~
Oh lord.

LOL.....My dad only occasionally cooked and on the whole did a great job on deer meat and other wild game/fish.

Well one day he was off duty and decided to make chicken and dumplins and it smelled, well, different.....Mom got home from work and the first thing she said "I smell baking powder".

Sure enough dad had put too much in the dumplins and it was a solid mass in the pot......Mom fixed hot dogs and the coon dogs got the "mass".....They really liked it....Dad stuck to wild game and fresh caught fish after that.

Of course we all like to tell about the most delicious meals we make, but we tend to avoid talking about our egregious cooking mistakes.

This thread is dedicated to what not to do.

I'll start.

I put eggs in a cold cast iron skillet. They stuck to it like superglue.
And I would add to this... Ancient Aztec artists used to use eggs as the binder to make their paint stick to a surface, and even centuries later, it's still stuck to the stone ruins of their civilization.

I am generally an ok cook.

Anything Thai I try to make comes out AWFUL.

Kao Pad Gai
Massoman Gai
Som Tam Thai
Larb Neua

I mean disgusting.

If there was a pot full of Thai water I would probably burn it.

I've fucked up many times.
I try and make different recipes that are very in depth just because I want to see if I can do it.
I'm about 50ty 50ty on my first tries. Of course I hate it when I fuck it up but cooking is fun to me and I like the challenge.
The Wife and I make new stuff all the time,our problem is we dont always write down what we did and cant figure out how to replicate it.

If there was a pot full of Thai water I would probably burn it.
Reminds me of the morning I was making some coffee, and left the coffee maker on accidentally when I left for work. When I got home that night I turned it off.

Apparently that overheating weakened/damaged the glass. The next morning the entire bottom broke off the Mr. Coffee pot and spilled broken shards of glass and hot coffee all over the kitchen floor and my feet.

If you ever forget to turn off an automatic coffee maker and it's dry and smells burnt when you come home from work, don't use it again. Just get a new one.

Reminds me of the morning I was making some coffee, and left the coffee maker on accidentally when I left for work. When I got home that night I turned it off.

Apparently that overheating weakened/damaged the glass. The next morning the entire bottom broke off the Mr. Coffee pot and spilled broken shards of glass and hot coffee all over the kitchen floor and my feet.

If you ever forget to turn off an automatic coffee maker and it's dry and smells burnt when you come home from work, don't use it again. Just get a new one.

Was it an old unit?
Most turn off automatically after a while.

Yes, been there too.

Come home from work and the coffee is a baked brick.

Thermal coffee makers are the only way to fly.

One of the worst road trips ever with friends when I was in my early twenties, we were driving up the California/Oregon coast in a van just camping out at various spots, very unprepared one evening we pulled over as
it was getting too dark to see well, only one small flashlight. Someone had the great idea to cook chicken picked up at a grocery over an open fire in a skillet... drinking more whiskey and beer as it was cold, getting darker and windier ... getting impatient to eat the chicken and it was pretty hard to see it in the dim light... we figured it was just time eventually. Guess it tasted ok, woke up next morning to bloody paper plates, and had a good laugh. Guess all that alcohol killed the bugs, everyone is still alive

Focus and concentration are my problems with cooking. I have no idea what I did wrong but I made a pan of cornbread that I must have put the wrong ingredients in or the right ingredients were spoiled. But it tasted horrible so much that the possum that lived in the Live Oaks in my yard would not eat it nor ants or anything else. So the cornbread laid in my yard until it decomposed.

Forum List

Back