Women's Studies??? Really?

Not all but most of these programs are minors not majors. Also there are some that are degrees at a Master's level. I think you would be surprised at how many jobs this type of education dovetails into. There are a lot of jobs in fields like social welfare, public relations, law, and counselling that this type education could be an important adjunct to other education and experience.

I am well aware that some of these fields have Master course, but it doesn't make the degree any more useful. These are courses people take one when someone really doesn't know what they want to do, or what to study. Which means that these are course which really shouldn't be taught at a university. These are courses someone can study on their own free time.

Not all but most of these programs are minors not majors. Also there are some that are degrees at a Master's level. I think you would be surprised at how many jobs this type of education dovetails into. There are a lot of jobs in fields like social welfare, public relations, law, and counselling that this type education could be an important adjunct to other education and experience.

I am well aware that some of these fields have Master course, but it doesn't make the degree any more useful. These are courses people take one when someone really doesn't know what they want to do, or what to study. Which means that these are course which really shouldn't be taught at a university. These are courses someone can study on their own free time.
Women's studies is usually a minor or major in a liberal arts education. As in most liberal arts programs you need a Master's degree. The fields of graduate study that Women's Studies majors have normally pursued include: Administration, advocacy, anthropology, arts, counseling, education, history, humanities, international studies, law, library science, philosophy, psychology, public health, public policy, social work, and sociology.

I know you may not understand this but some people attend college not just to latch onto a job but they want to get an education that can help them throughout there life. A liberal arts education which can include women's studies or African American studies as well as, sociology, history, literature, foreign languages, etc.. can be an education the prepares a student not just for their first job or so but for their entire career. 20% of our presidents have had liberal arts degrees as well as 12 CEOs of America's largest corporations. 69 percent of business leaders rate liberal art's degrees as very important.

Last edited:
Women's studies is usually a minor or major in a liberal arts education. As in most liberal arts programs you need a Master's degree. The fields of graduate study that Women's Studies majors have normally pursued include: Administration, advocacy, anthropology, arts, counseling, education, history, humanities, international studies, law, library science, philosophy, psychology, public health, public policy, social work, and sociology.

I know you may not understand this but some people attend college not just to latch onto a job but they want to get an education that can help them throughout there life. A liberal arts education which can include women's studies or African American studies as well as, sociology, history, literature, foreign languages, etc.. can be an education the prepares a student not just for their first job or so but for their entire career.

A career in an totally opposite field of what they have initially studied in college.

20% of our presidents have had liberal arts degrees as well as 12 CEOs of America's largest corporations. 69 percent of business leaders rate liberal art's degrees as very important.

This really doesn't help your case.

I know you may not understand this but some people attend college not just to latch onto a job but they want to get an education that can help them throughout there life. A liberal arts education which can include women's studies or African American studies as well as, sociology, history, literature, foreign languages, etc.. can be an education the prepares a student not just for their first job or so but for their entire career. 20% of our presidents have had liberal arts degrees as well as 12 CEOs of America's largest corporations. 69 percent of business leaders rate liberal art's degrees as very important.

1."....some people attend college not just to latch onto a job but they want to get an education that can help them throughout there life."

Excellent point. And I wish it were true of many more than it is.

2. ".... include women's studies or African American studies ..."
I have to part company here.....for the most part programs such as these are simply hate fests.

3. " 20% of our presidents have had liberal arts degrees as well as 12 CEOs of America's largest corporations. 69 percent of business leaders rate liberal art's degrees as very important."

I sure wish that meant what you imply it meant....but liberal arts is not what it once was.

a. W.E.B. Du Bois (1868-1963) was the first African American to be awarded a doctorate; we was an educator, activist, and author, and a cofounder of the NAACP. While his 1903 book, "The Souls of Black Folk," is probably the seminal work of Black Studies, his emphasis would most likely be considered anathema to many taught today. He pointed out that, to both blacks and whites, the necessity of a thorough grounding in Western history and culture. His constantly repeated point was that the heritage of he West was the heritage of all. That was then.....

This is now:
a. Consider the talented and tireless Ira Magaziner. “As a student activist at Brown University in the late 1960s, he helped codify the no-requirements approach of the so-called New Curriculum (few grades, lots of self-discovery) and changed the face of modern academics

A career in an totally opposite field of what they have initially studied in college.

That is exactly what people do, about 7 times in a life time. about 1/3 of the total workforce will now change jobs every 12 months. By the age of 42 you will probably already have had about ten jobs. As people change jobs and career, they seek education often far afield from their initial studies. A lawyer, counselor, advocate, or public relations person that specializes may well find course work in women studies or African America studies useful.

If you get a job as a women's advocate, Women's Studies would be certainly be appropriate.

Career Change Statistics: How Many Times Will You Change Jobs in Your Life?

Forum List

Back