Woman who miscarried charged with a crime.

Her lawyers will attempt to play the emotional and psychological argument. But even still, Watts had to know what she was doing was wrong.
Her punishment, if any, should be slight. She had no intention to break the law. Her state of mind should excuse her.

There really should be some education given to the public as to protocol in the event of a death.

Of course she should not be fired. For one thing, she was absolutely correct.
Yes, she was absolutely correct. And I was wrong. Forget it.
As far as the miscarriage itself goes, the woman had nothing to worry about. She was not facing any criminal charge.
True.

It was for abusing the corpse. The woman may not have known such a crime existed.
I was raised to believe that "ignorance of the law is no excuse to break it." Don't know how well that holds up now, but there it is. The legal system has no choice but to try her, and convict her, regardless of her knowledge of the law. The commission of the crime is there, the state of mind is clear to see, but the knowledge of the law is absent. Could be possible she could be handed a reduced sentence for her lack of knowing, it's certainly warranted. She has some mitigating factors on her side.

If you are a pregnant woman in any state with similar laws, you should work to educate yourself in the unfortunate case you have a miscarriage outside of a hospital setting. It will spare you additional grief.

And yes, the states need to do better about educating the public about it.

The law has nothing to do with religion or abortion. This is bureaucracy in action. This is record keeping and permit issuing. Unknown to most, even an abortionist has to fill out a certificate of fetal death. It is a human being after all. All part of the registrars job.

Now what makes me upset now is that the OP isn't pushing for better education efforts, but sowing hatred and mistrust where it isn't warranted (like I was doing earlier). The detective did his job and the nurse hers. Watts was never educated, and it was the government that failed to educate her.

If you are a pregnant woman in any state with similar laws, you should work to educate yourself in the unfortunate case you have a miscarriage outside of a hospital setting. It will spare you additional grief.

And yes, the states need to do better about educating the public about it.
If a woman has a miscarriage she really needs to get medical care as soon as possible. Why was there a miscarriage (unknown medical condition)? Was all material expelled? Bits of tissue can quickly become septic leading to quick death.

If a woman has a miscarriage she really needs to get medical care as soon as possible. Why was there a miscarriage (unknown medical condition)? Was all material expelled? Bits of tissue can quickly become septic leading to quick death.
Curious indeed. Why also did she leave the hospital twice? More facts need to make it to the forefront.

A friend of mine has a perfectly healthy boy. Three years later she miscarried. She took the remains to the hospital where examination of the fetal material revealed that her first pregnancy caused an abnormality in the blood supply to the uterus. It was corrected and she had another baby boy.

The miscarried fetus was a girl. They elected not to name her and received a death certificate for Baby Girl Smith. The fetus was cremated. They got a permit to sprinkle her off the Santa Monica Pier.

Charge for the death certificate. Charge for cremation. Charge for the permit.
Bureaucracy costs.

A friend of mine has a perfectly healthy boy. Three years later she miscarried. She took the remains to the hospital where examination of the fetal material revealed that her first pregnancy caused an abnormality in the blood supply to the uterus. It was corrected and she had another baby boy.

The miscarried fetus was a girl. They elected not to name her and received a death certificate for Baby Girl Smith. The fetus was cremated. They got a permit to sprinkle her off the Santa Monica Pier.

Charge for the death certificate. Charge for cremation. Charge for the permit.
Bureaucracy costs.
The costs of bureaucracy are modest compared to the legal cost of one's ignorance.

Curious indeed. Why also did she leave the hospital twice? More facts need to make it to the forefront.
She left the hospital because she was tired of waiting after 8 hours. 8 hours is nothing in a public hospital. I have known people that waited 36 hours.

Harbor General Hospital had such long wait times that sick children were dying in the waiting room. They opened a second ER just for children.

She left the hospital because she was tired of waiting after 8 hours. 8 hours is nothing in a public hospital. I have known people that waited 36 hours.

Harbor General Hospital had such long wait times that sick children were dying in the waiting room. They opened a second ER just for children.
Yeah, if you are seen in less than 5, that's fast, considering.

Now what makes me upset now is that the OP isn't pushing for better education efforts, but sowing hatred and mistrust where it isn't warranted (like I was doing earlier). The detective did his job and the nurse hers. Watts was never educated, and it was the government that failed to educate her.
Using lib logic if she ran a red light and killed someone its governments fault for not teaching her how to be a good driver?

Using lib logic if she ran a red light and killed someone its governments fault for not teaching her how to be a good driver?
Uh, that's not what I said. In that case she should be tried for murder.

This isn't "lib-logic" at all. I still think she should be punished. "ignorantia legis neminem excusat" or "ignorance of the law is no excuse."

But that doesn't justify throwing the whole book at her. There are cases where people are adequately educated but choose to break the law anyway. And then there is Watts, who knew nothing about the law. Her punishment should serve as an adequate education. The government should educate people about obscure laws with hefty consequences if they truly care about keeping people out of trouble.

The scenario you described is quite obvious.

Uh, that's not what I said. In that case she should be tried for murder.

This isn't "lib-logic" at all. I still think she should be punished. "ignorantia legis neminem excusat" or "ignorance of the law is no excuse."

But that doesn't justify throwing the whole book at her. There are cases where people are adequately educated but choose to break the law anyway. And then there is Watts, who knew nothing about the law.
We dont know what her punishment will be

Going back to previous posts of mine on this thread my suggestion was probation and community service such as picking up trash in public places throughout the probation period

But the possibility of jail if she fails to cooperate or commits another crime

I am curious about the claim the hospital made her wait because they were concerned about legal issue,,

she was a pregnant women in distress sitting in their lobby that after refused treatment went home and miscarried,,

that looks like a civil case to me,,
Exactly.

Her punishment, if any, should be slight. She had no intention to break the law. Her state of mind should excuse her.

There really should be some education given to the public as to protocol in the event of a death.
I only knew because I had worked out the process before hand.

Forum List

Back