Wisconsin & National Democrats underestimating MAGA favorite & Senator Ron Johnson, hoping he runs so they can beat him...be careful what you wish for

• Banned
the Dems need to recruit Russ Feingold...or Randy Bryce (that mustached guy from Paul Ryan's district)...in order to have something of a shot at winning

• Banned
so you first attack a lesbian, now a Jew...just waiting who will be on the wrong end of the ODDBALL TRIFECTA!

• Banned
why don't you run against Tammy yourself? or against the governor?

• Banned
"Democrats’ chances to flip GOP seats in Missouri and Ohio increased significantly after Republican senators announced their retirements recently, creating divisive open primaries in otherwise red states. But in Wisconsin, one of the most closely divided swing states in the country, Democrats counterintuitively argue they’d favor facing Johnson again, even though he’s twice shocked their party on Election Day

Ben Wikler, the chairman of the Wisconsin Democratic Party, said he has seen an “explosion” in small-dollar donations and volunteers after the recent spate of controversial headlines from Johnson. While Wikler cautioned that it was impossible to predict the most viable candidates a year and a half away from the election, he said defeating the senator could send a “broader message.”

“My hope is that Ron Johnson runs and loses so spectacularly that Republicans rethink the extreme, fear-mongering, conspiracy-minded style of politics that has so scarred the country for the last four years,” Wikler said in an interview.

Officially, Senate Republicans want him to run again. But Johnson has a frigid relationship with Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, after national Republicans aligned with McConnell bailed on Johnson during the closing months of his first reelection campaign in 2016. McConnell is eager for Johnson to make a decision soon, according to people familiar with the matter.

Republicans want clarity because they are already defending an open seat in a state Joe Biden carried in last year's presidential race, in Pennsylvania. With the Senate equally divided at 50 seats for each party, a single race in a swing state like Wisconsin could determine the majority in 2023.

Johnson scoffed at Democrats’ eagerness to face him, saying he “couldn’t care less what they think.” He brushed off questions about whether incumbency was an advantage in the race.

“I’m not a political pundit. I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it, when I decide whether I’m going to run or not,” he said. Johnson, a businessman who'd never sought public office before running in 2010, conceded, however, that being a senator has “always been a frustrating job.”

Former President Donald Trump has encouraged Johnson to run again, and Sen. Rick Scott (R-Fla.), the National Republican Senatorial Committee chairman, has said he’s optimistic the senator will seek a third term."

• Banned
"Dave Cieslewicz, the former Democratic mayor of Madison, said Johnson may have alienated some of the swing voters he’ll need, but that he won't be an easy out.

“We might be better off if he did run again because he has said some just incredibly stupid things, and I do think it's alienated moderate voters,” Cieslewicz said. But he cautioned: Democrats “always underestimate the guy.”

Johnson ran for Senate in 2010 as a political outsider, highlighting his business career and spending just under $9 million of his own money to win the seat."

Brandon Scholz, a Wisconsin political strategist who has previously worked on GOP campaigns, said Democrats have put a target on Johnson as a villain, who is "brash and says what's on his mind."

“That gives a lot of openings to use what he says. But don't read that as, 'He's a pushover,'” Scholz said. “If he decides to run, he's tenacious, and he'd be tough to beat.”"

Forum List

Back