Wireless Recharger Scam

George Costanza

A Friendly Liberal
Mar 10, 2009
Los Angeles area.
So I'm in Target the other day, and I see this really neat piece of tech equipment up on a display rack. It is a pad, about 4 inches wide and 8 or so inches long. It's for recharging things like your iPod, cell phone, hand held game gizmos, etc. All you do is lay your item down on the pad, go about your business, and pick it up soon thereafter, fully charged and ready to go - no messy wires of any kind. It's all wireless.

And only $99.00.

But wait a minute - it seems there is a bit more, which is not made apparent to you until you are hooked (or so they hope). You also have to buy little docking stations for each and every item you plan to put onto the recharge pad. And these suckers cost $40.00 each. So, if you have three items you plan to recharge, you are going to have to lay out $220.00, plus tax, or forget it.

I am offended by this. It's false advertising. They sucker you in and then hit you with the, "Oh, by the way . . . you want an engine in that car as well?"

Anyone know of any other wireless recharging gizmos that might be a tad less expensive and which do not engage in false advertising?

I of course realized this the first time I saw the wireless charging station advertisement on TV.

At some point in the future the wireless charging pickups may be incorporated into the devices.
You always pay thru the nose and are often dissapointed when buying bleeding edge tech.

I am just glad they are finally starting to standardize the com/charging ports on wireless devices.

Last edited:
I of course realized this the first time I saw the wireless charging station advertisement on TV.

At some point in the future the wireless charging pickups may be incorporated into the devices.
You always pay thru the nose and are often dissapointed when buying bleeding edge tech.

I am just glad they are finally starting to standardize the com/charging ports on wireless devices.

Yeah - I remember back in the early 1970's, I paid $75.00 for a hand held calculator by Texas Instruments. Needless to say, it was brand new on the market. You know the one I'm talking about - you can get the same thing at the checkout stand of your local market today for around $1.25 or so.

Didn't bite this time, though.

Yeah - I remember back in the early 1970's, I paid $75.00 for a hand held calculator by Texas Instruments. Needless to say, it was brand new on the market. You know the one I'm talking about - you can get the same thing at the checkout stand of your local market today for around $1.25 or so.

Didn't bite this time, though.

I worked with a guy back then that spent several hundred on one of the HP ones.
a couple of months later if got one for 29.95 with exactly the same specs.
He just aobut croaked. But his came with a cool belt holster.

Forum List

Back