Wimbledon 2021 The Championships

GENTLEMEN'S SINGLES – Round of 16 matches

1 DJOKOVIC, Novak (SRB) v 17 GARIN, Cristian (CHI)

FUCSOVICS, Marton (HUN) v 5 RUBLEV, Andrey (RUS)

25 KHACHANOV, Karen (RUS) v KORDA, Sebastian (USA)

10 SHAPOVALOV, Denis (CAN) v 8 BAUTISTA AGUT, Roberto (ESP)

7 BERRETTINI, Matteo (ITA) v IVASHKA Ilya (BLR)

16 AUGER-ALIASSIME, Felix (CAN) v 4 ZVEREV, Alexander (GER)

6 FEDERER, Roger (SUI) v 23 SONEGO, Lorenzo (ITA)

14 HURKACZ, Hubert (POL) v 2 MEDVEDEV, Daniil (RUS)

Alrighty, we’re just biding time before we crown Mr. Djokovic with another title. Thanks for coming Mr. Garin. Pick: Duh, Djokovic.

Fucsovics (be careful how you pronounce his name) is a beast. Will he make his first QF? His younger opponent Rublev is seeking his fourth QF in his last five majors. Rublev has beaten Fucsovics in their last five meetings. Pick: Rublev

Khachanov has reached the third round twice and now the fourth round twice at Wimbledon. Always seems on the verve of taking the next step. And he’s playing… hey! An American! Only 20 years old and is in his first Wimbledon, defeating two seeds (DeMinaur and Evans) to get here. Pick: Khachanov

Shapovalov, always seems on the verge of something great. After a tough first round match with the veteran Kohlschreiber, got a walkover in the second round and dismissed crowd favorite Andy Murray in the third. The Spaniard Bautista Agut has shown great talent on all surfaces, reaching the semis at the most recent Wimbledon. This is their first matchup. Shapovalov may be a little fresher. Pick: Shapovalov.

If you were to build a top notch tennis player from scratch, you’d have Matteo Berrettini. He’s at the point of his career you’d expect him in the second week, perhaps one of the biggest threats to Djokovic in years to come. Ilya Ivashka, um, first ever Wimbledon and done very little in other majors, but here he is. Pick: Ajla Tomljanovic’s boyfriend (Berrettini)

Auger-Aliassime: Another seeded Canadian not named Milos Raonic doing very well. “Sasha” Zverev is a fairly constant second-week player these days and comes oh-so-close. Zverev is 3-0 without losing a set to Auger-Aliassime. Felix may be close to breaking that. Pick: Zverev

Federer. The legend. The nine-time Wimbledon champ. But came into this year’s tournament with many questions. Sonego has a sparse grand slam career and hasn’t won at Wimbledon until this year. Pick: C’mon man, one more for the Fed before he has to face Daniil.

Hurkacz. Can’t say I know much about Double-Hu. By far making his deepest Grand Slam run. Has won in straight sets in his first three matches. Medvedev. Seems like he should easily advance, but almost lost in straights to Cilic before coming back. Pick: Medvedev

Here's my analysis for Monday's Round-Of-16 matches, on the ladies' side...

LADIES' SINGLES – Round of 16

1 BARTY, Ashleigh (AUS) v 14 KREJCIKOVA, Barbora (CZE)

RADUCANU, Emma (GBR) v TOMLJANOVIC, Ajla (AUS)

30 BADOSA, Paula (ESP) v 19 MUCHOVA, Karolina (CZE)

20 GAUFF, Coco (USA) v 25 KERBER, Angelique (GER)

8 PLISKOVA, Karolina (CZE) v SAMSONOVA, Liudmila (RUS)

23 KEYS, Madison (USA) v GOLUBIC, Viktorija (SUI)

7 SWIATEK, Iga (POL) v 21 JABEUR, Ons (TUN)

18 RYBAKINA, Elena (KAZ) v 2 SABALENKA, Aryna (BLR)

The surprise winner at Roland Garros, Krejcikova, continues to impress on grass, now riding a 15-match win streak. Barty came into the tourney with some injury concerns and has survived thus far. I think the Barty party ends here.

Emma Raducanu is the clear Cinderella story of the tournament. The British teen is a wildcard in her second pro tournament ever and has impressed and her smile could light up all of London. She’ll face a more experienced Aussie in Tomljanovic. My head says Tomljanovic, my heart says Raducanu. I’ll go with my heart. Emma a surprise quarterfinalist and then her run will end there.

Badosa and Muchova are very under-the-radar players with good form. This is such a pick-em matchup.

Coco Gauff looks more impressive with each tournament. Before the grass court season, Kerber seemed like a player on a downward spiral. Kerber since has won a grass court tournament before Wimbledon and has shown some of her championship form as of late which should make this match more competitive. I’ll still give the edge to Gauff.

Pliskova seems like a player on the slide with the former #1, not making it past the Round of 16 since the Aussie Open in 2019 and has never made It past the round-of-16 at Wimbledon, but she’s had a good tournament thus far. Samsonova is another surprise wildcard entry in her first Wimbledon and has defeated three quality players. I’ll give the edge to Pliskova to finally make her first Wimbledon QF.

Keys has been an underachiever thus far but has not lost a set yet at this Wimbledon. Golubic is in her first ever Round-of-16 match, won her first match in an epic 11-9 final set and has breezed over her opponents since. I’ll pick Keys here.

Swiatek, the surprise winner of the 2020 Roland Garros tournament (and runner up in 2021) has never played at the Australian Open and is her first Wimbledon. She has yet to lose a set. Ons Jabeur has taken the mantle of one of the trickiest players (a la Carla Suarez Navarro and Agnieszka Radwanska) to play. This could be the ladies’ match of the day to watch. Jabeur’s experience may win out.

Rybakina is in her first Wimbledon (first grand slam appearance was at US Open in 2019). Showing good form thus far. Sabalenka is a powerhouse who may finally reach her first QF. Edge to Sabalenka
Rough end to an exciting Round-of-16 day.

***SPOILERS AHEAD***

Advancing to the Quarterfinals are Ashleigh Barty, Ajla Tomljnanovich, Karolina Muchova, Angelique Kerber, Karolina Pliskova, Viktorija Golubic, Ons Jabeur, and Aryna Sabalenka.

My predictions started off well at 3-0 (Jabeur, Sabalenka, and Pliskova), and then everything went downhill from there. Barty ended Krejcikova's 15-match win streak, Kerber showed good form again and knocked off her younger opponent, Keys disappoints, and then the sad finish... a fiesty battle between the Cinderella story with Emma Raducanu battling Ajla Tomljanovic, and in a tough tenth game with Emma serving at 4-5, she started having breathing issues and lost the game and set. She would retire three games later after being taken off court for medical treatment. :(

GENTLEMEN'S SINGLES – Round of 16 matches

1 DJOKOVIC, Novak (SRB) v 17 GARIN, Cristian (CHI)

FUCSOVICS, Marton (HUN) v 5 RUBLEV, Andrey (RUS)

25 KHACHANOV, Karen (RUS) v KORDA, Sebastian (USA)

10 SHAPOVALOV, Denis (CAN) v 8 BAUTISTA AGUT, Roberto (ESP)

7 BERRETTINI, Matteo (ITA) v IVASHKA Ilya (BLR)

16 AUGER-ALIASSIME, Felix (CAN) v 4 ZVEREV, Alexander (GER)

6 FEDERER, Roger (SUI) v 23 SONEGO, Lorenzo (ITA)

14 HURKACZ, Hubert (POL) v 2 MEDVEDEV, Daniil (RUS)

Alrighty, we’re just biding time before we crown Mr. Djokovic with another title. Thanks for coming Mr. Garin. Pick: Duh, Djokovic.

Fucsovics (be careful how you pronounce his name) is a beast. Will he make his first QF? His younger opponent Rublev is seeking his fourth QF in his last five majors. Rublev has beaten Fucsovics in their last five meetings. Pick: Rublev

Khachanov has reached the third round twice and now the fourth round twice at Wimbledon. Always seems on the verve of taking the next step. And he’s playing… hey! An American! Only 20 years old and is in his first Wimbledon, defeating two seeds (DeMinaur and Evans) to get here. Pick: Khachanov

Shapovalov, always seems on the verge of something great. After a tough first round match with the veteran Kohlschreiber, got a walkover in the second round and dismissed crowd favorite Andy Murray in the third. The Spaniard Bautista Agut has shown great talent on all surfaces, reaching the semis at the most recent Wimbledon. This is their first matchup. Shapovalov may be a little fresher. Pick: Shapovalov.

If you were to build a top notch tennis player from scratch, you’d have Matteo Berrettini. He’s at the point of his career you’d expect him in the second week, perhaps one of the biggest threats to Djokovic in years to come. Ilya Ivashka, um, first ever Wimbledon and done very little in other majors, but here he is. Pick: Ajla Tomljanovic’s boyfriend (Berrettini)

Auger-Aliassime: Another seeded Canadian not named Milos Raonic doing very well. “Sasha” Zverev is a fairly constant second-week player these days and comes oh-so-close. Zverev is 3-0 without losing a set to Auger-Aliassime. Felix may be close to breaking that. Pick: Zverev

Federer. The legend. The nine-time Wimbledon champ. But came into this year’s tournament with many questions. Sonego has a sparse grand slam career and hasn’t won at Wimbledon until this year. Pick: C’mon man, one more for the Fed before he has to face Daniil.

Hurkacz. Can’t say I know much about Double-Hu. By far making his deepest Grand Slam run. Has won in straight sets in his first three matches. Medvedev. Seems like he should easily advance, but almost lost in straights to Cilic before coming back. Pick: Medvedev

*** SPOILERS AHEAD ***

On the gentlemen's side, advancing to the quarterfinals are Novak Djokovic, Marton Fucsovics, Karen Khachanov, Denis Shapovalov, Matteo Berrettini, Felix Auger-Aliassime, and Roger Federer.

Due to rain, one match was unable to finish, Hubert Hurkacz vs Daniil Medvedev.

My predictions here went 5-2. Djokovic (in straights), Khachanov (10-8 in the 5th), Shapovalov (in straights), Berrettini (in straights), and Federer (in straights) were my victors. Marton Fucsovics, down two sets to one came alive in the fourth, dominating that set then taking the final set 6-3. Auger-Aliassime won his first two sets, Zverev came back to send it into a deciding set, where Felix broke Sasha in the seventh game and served it out from there, wining his first five-setter.

Order of Play for Tuesday (Main Draw singles matches)

CENTRE COURT - 1:30PM
1. Hubert Hurkacz v Daniil Medvedev (completion of yesterday's Round-of-16 match)
Not Before: 2:30pm
2. Ons Jabeur v Aryna Sabalenka (Ladies' Quarterfinal)
Not Before: 4:30pm
3. Ashleigh Barty v Ajla Tomljanovic (Ladies' Quarterfinal)

NO.1 COURT - 1:00PM
1. Karolina Pliskova v Viktorija Golubic (Ladies' Quarterfinal)
2. Karolina Muchova v Angelique Kerber (Ladies' Quarterfinal)

My picks to make the ladies' semi-finals: Sabalenka, Barty, Pliskova, Kerber.

That Arab girl Ons Jabeur is great to watch.
Usually loses the first set through nerves but then settles and plays some amazing shots including drop shots from the baseline. Don't be surprised if she throws up at match point.

Hope she wins and if she can control her nerves think she will.

Order of Play for Tuesday (Main Draw singles matches)

1. Hubert Hurkacz v Daniil Medvedev (completion of yesterday's Round-of-16 match)
Not Before: 2:30pm
2. Ons Jabeur v Aryna Sabalenka (Ladies' Quarterfinal)
Not Before: 4:30pm
3. Ashleigh Barty v Ajla Tomljanovic (Ladies' Quarterfinal)

NO.1 COURT - 1:00PM
1. Karolina Pliskova v Viktorija Golubic (Ladies' Quarterfinal)
2. Karolina Muchova v Angelique Kerber (Ladies' Quarterfinal)

My picks to make the ladies' semi-finals: Sabalenka, Barty, Pliskova, Kerber.
Got all four ladies' quarterfinal prediction right (yay me!)
Ons played well but Aryna was able to hold her nerve. Ash was too much for her compatriot. Pliskova and Angelique managed to dominate their opponents as well.

Didn't expect Medvedev to lose, so there's one I got wrong.

Rain has really backed up the juniors and Wednesday looks just as dodgy as today weather-wise.

Thursday Ladies' Semifinals are thus:
Ashleigh Barty v. Angelique Kerber
Karolina Pliskova v. Aryna Sabalenka

(don't know which one will play first yet)

GENTLEMENS' QUARTER-FINALS
Order of Play for Wednesday

CENTRE COURT - 1:30PM (local time)
1. Novak Djokovic v Marton Fucsovics
2. Roger Federer v Hubert Hurkacz
NO.1 COURT - 1:00PM (local time)
1. Karen Khachanov v Denis Shapovalov
2. Matteo Berrettini v Felix Auger-Aliassime

Picks:
Djokovic (of course)
Federer (I didn't like his chances against Medvedev, but can Hurkacz pull another upset?)
Shapovalov (this is almost a pick-em for me)
Berrettini (I'm expecting to see him against Djokovic in the Final)

Seems like men’s tennis is going down the tubes
Still the aging big 3 are winning and not a single player under 30 is anything special

GENTLEMENS' QUARTER-FINALS
Order of Play for Wednesday

CENTRE COURT - 1:30PM (local time)
1. Novak Djokovic v Marton Fucsovics
2. Roger Federer v Hubert Hurkacz
NO.1 COURT - 1:00PM (local time)
1. Karen Khachanov v Denis Shapovalov
2. Matteo Berrettini v Felix Auger-Aliassime

Picks:
Djokovic (of course)
Federer (I didn't like his chances against Medvedev, but can Hurkacz pull another upset?)
Shapovalov (this is almost a pick-em for me)
Berrettini (I'm expecting to see him against Djokovic in the Final)
3-1 in my predictions. Djokovic wins in straights, Federer lost in straights (actually bagelled in the third set!), Shapovalov won in five tough sets, and Berrettini won in four sets.

Friday's matchups will have Novak Djokovic against Denis Shapovalov and Matteo Berrettini takes on Hubert Hurkacz.

Thursday's Ladies Semi-Finals

1. Ashleigh Barty v Angelique Kerber
followed by...
2. Karolina Pliskova v Aryna Sabalenka

RF is a shell at 39 and it’s sad to see this.
He has never really been at his best since 2009

Amazing that both Nadal and Djoker look as sharp as ever in their mid 30
Both guys are much slower but they’re still the 2 best

Alan Stallion
Djokovic will bag number 20

The USO will be a tough task for him because of the loud crowd noise . He was screwed out of an easy title last year

Yup, can't see anybody winning other than Nole.

Gentlemen's Semi-Final order of play coming up shortly...

1. Matteo Berrettini v Hubert Hurkacz
followed by...
2. Novak Djokovic v Denis Shapovalov

Weather's looking good for today for the outside courts as the juniors scramble to catch up. Saturday looks dodgy.

Saturday 10 July

CENTRE COURT - 2:00PM (local time)
Ladies' Singles - Final
1. Ashleigh Barty v Karolina Pliskova

Ladies' Doubles - Final
2. Veronika Kudermetova / Elena Vesnina v Su-Wei Hsieh / Elise Mertens

Gentlemen's Doubles - Final
3. Nikola Mektic / Mate Pavic v Marcel Granollers / Horacio Zeballos

More Wheelchair finals are also scheduled to be played

Sunday 11 July will have the Gentlemen's Singles Final, the Mixed Doubles Final, and the Juniors Finals.

Ash Barty defeats Karolina Pliskova 6-3 6-7 6-3
Barty served for the match at 6-5 in the 2nd but was broken then lost the tiebreaker. Pliskova had a break point at 5-3 in the final set, but Barty roared back to win the championship.

Forum List

Back