Will You Cancel your Bank of America Account?

Are you going to stay with Bank Of America with the new debit fees

• Yes, I will keep my Bank of America Account

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • No, I will cancel my BOA account

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • I'm not a BOA customer but if I was I would keep my account

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Not a BOA customer but if I was I would cancel my account

Votes: 23 54.8%

• Total voters
Let me get this straight, you are telling me that in YOUR opinion OWS is a pro-capitalist movement?

I understand the differnece between captialist and corporatist just fine BTW.

when OWS calls for the govt to come into wallstreet and into the wealth to force a redistribution of wealth they are not promoting capitalist ideals just like the bailouts and stimulus were not capitalist ideals either.

OWS is calling for the 1% to not persecute the 99% in purusit of the $. Unregulated capitalism is as evil as communism, Plymco. Unregulated capitalism defeats competition, which is the heart of good business products and prices, and work place safety, and consumer safety.

Do you truly think that regulated capitalism in social democracy is somehow uncapitalistic. It's not. What you want is corporatism, the suppression of the common individual to the desires of government and business: that is fascism.

We don't have unregulated capitalism in the united states...going there is akin to using a red herring.

I want as free of possible as a market with the minimal involvement by the govt. that we need. We already have laws on the books to protect people in the workplace and consumers. We also have anti-trust laws so that there is competition.

Currently the govt has gotten too involved hence the bailouts/crony capitialism you see today.

Also we are not a social democracy we are a constitutional republic.

"red herring" is no excuse for dodging the issue, Plymco. Thank you for agreeing that we have regulation of the economy. The problem is that we deregulated banking and stock markets over the last thirty years that finally caused the crashed.

Banks and corporations cannot be trusted to serve the public interest, or to recognize the fact that their great wealth comes from maintaining the social compact. Yes, we need to eliminate crony capitalism through tighter more transparent regulation.

Yes, we have a social democracy that works within our constitutional republic.n I have no disagreement with that.

Yes

OWS is calling for the 1% to not persecute the 99% in purusit of the $. Unregulated capitalism is as evil as communism, Plymco. Unregulated capitalism defeats competition, which is the heart of good business products and prices, and work place safety, and consumer safety.

Do you truly think that regulated capitalism in social democracy is somehow uncapitalistic. It's not. What you want is corporatism, the suppression of the common individual to the desires of government and business: that is fascism.

We don't have unregulated capitalism in the united states...going there is akin to using a red herring.

I want as free of possible as a market with the minimal involvement by the govt. that we need. We already have laws on the books to protect people in the workplace and consumers. We also have anti-trust laws so that there is competition.

Currently the govt has gotten too involved hence the bailouts/crony capitialism you see today.

"red herring" is no excuse for dodging the issue, Plymco. Thank you for agreeing that we have regulation of the economy. The problem is that we deregulated banking and stock markets over the last thirty years that finally caused the crashed.

Banks and corporations cannot be trusted to serve the public interest, or to recognize the fact that their great wealth comes from maintaining the social compact. Yes, we need to eliminate crony capitalism through tighter more transparent regulation.

Yes, we have a social democracy that works within our constitutional republic.n I have no disagreement with that.

Yes

I'm not avoiding anything. Social Democracies are what they have in europe, we have a constitutional republic and there is a large difference and they don't work together. Constitutional republic vs. social democracy <----it is written by someone who is conservative in my opinion just so you know.

It was the equal housing act (a regulation) that allowed banks to give people giant loans that they shouldn't have given to people. It was also regulations that allowed the banks to take these same high-risk loans and bundle them into mortgage backed securities to sell as investments. These regulations were put into place over the last 20+ years by politicians in both parties.

I have been with BOA for many years.

Great service and never a problem.

BOA has ATM's everywhere and I like that.

Yes, I will stay with them. :cool:

Those are the exact reasons I didn't want to move to a new bank.

My banking is 100% free of charge and I can use my card online, at any atm, and at any retail/restaurant outfit without being charged anything

Yes

I'm not avoiding anything. Social Democracies are what they have in europe, we have a constitutional republic and there is a large difference and they don't work together. Constitutional republic vs. social democracy <----it is written by someone who is conservative in my opinion just so you know.

It was the equal housing act (a regulation) that allowed banks to give people giant loans that they shouldn't have given to people. It was also regulations that allowed the banks to take these same high-risk loans and bundle them into mortgage backed securities to sell as investments. These regulations were put into place over the last 20+ years by politicians in both parties.

Yes, you are in avoidance. We have been developing a social democracy since the Grange in the 1870s, a long time, and its has worked well in a constitutional republic.

I agree with your last paragraph. We have to end the infernal relationship of government and banking cronyism through tighter regulation and transparency.

We are closer in principle than you think.

Back to the topic guys. Though I do wish somebody would start a nonpartisan thread on the housing bubble--its causes and cures as that would be a really good discussion to have and refresh everybody's memory about the real root causes that put us in our current mess. And no, this time we CAN'T blame George W. Bush any more than we can President Carter and President Clinton.

As for BofA, I agree I am really happy that they have chosen to hear their customers and be consumer friendly re that stupid debit card fee. And I hope they are sincere and don't plan to just hide it somewhere else.

We have been with BofA in one capacity or another since the early 1980's and I agree with others that, for a huge, enormous institution, they have been super efficient and have provided excellent service, even in ways you don't really expect from your bank. And it has really helped us that they are everywhere, along with their ATMs making it super convenient when we were constantly on the road at different times including four states.

They also have one of the best electronic systems we have seen allowing us to check our savings, checking account, credit card, and (at one time) loan balances up to date, current, and accurate at any time we wish. More than once we were able to catch and correct double charges or other errors (not by BofA but by others) as they happened rather than a month later when that would have been much more difficult to do. And they are good to question any unusual activity on our account which gives us confidence that we are less likely to be victims of fraud. Automatic payments and deposits are all easily accommodated and we pay all our bills and make all our contributions on line.

And in all these years, I've never caught them in a single penny's error on our bank statements.

Last edited:
I have been with BOA for many years.

Great service and never a problem.

BOA has ATM's everywhere and I like that.

Yes, I will stay with them. :cool:

Those are the exact reasons I didn't want to move to a new bank.

My banking is 100% free of charge and I can use my card online, at any atm, and at any retail/restaurant outfit without being charged anything
It's worth $5 per month to me just for the convenience and accessibility they provide. :cool:

Back to the topic guys. Though I do wish somebody would start a nonpartisan thread on the housing bubble--its causes and cures as that would be a really good discussion to have and refresh everybody's memory about the real root causes that put us in our current mess. And no, this time we CAN'T blame George W. Bush any more than we can President Carter and President Clinton.

As for BofA, I agree I am really happy that they have chosen to hear their customers and be consumer friendly re that stupid debit card fee. And I hope they are sincere and don't plan to just hide it somewhere else.

We have been with BofA in one capacity or another since the early 1980's and I agree with others that, for a huge, enormous institution, they have been super efficient and have provided excellent service, even in ways you don't really expect from your bank. And it has really helped us that they are everywhere, along with their ATMs making it super convenient when we were constantly on the road at different times including four states.

They also have one of the best electronic systems we have seen allowing us to check our savings, checking account, credit card, and (at one time) loan balances up to date, current, and accurate at any time we wish. More than once we were able to catch and correct double charges or other errors (not by BofA but by others) as they happened rather than a month later when that would have been much more difficult to do. And they are good to question any unusual activity on our account which gives us confidence that we are less likely to be victims of fraud. Automatic payments and deposits are all easily accommodated and we pay all our bills and make all our contributions on line.

And in all these years, I've never caught them in a single penny's error on our bank statements.
These things you say are the very reasons I was upset about the proposed fees and was motiviated to make this thread, email BoA, Call BoA, and show up at my local branch office about it to express my unhappiness with their fee. I told them I can not justify paying them $5.00/month when they get to hold onto my money to do whatever they want with until I withdraw it.

These things you say are the very reasons I was upset about the proposed fees and was motiviated to make this thread, email BoA, Call BoA, and show up at my local branch office about it to express my unhappiness with their fee. I told them I can not justify paying them $5.00/month when they get to hold onto my money to do whatever they want with until I withdraw it.

That is the clout we have and why the free market works if allowed to do so. Mr. Foxfyre and I are by no means wealthy but do have enough on deposit to catch their attention when we threaten to withdraw it. They get to use the money until we need it, and we get free checking, free bill payments, free debit card, free credit cards, and all those other valuable services. I don't mind that we make almost no money off our accounts there though all are interest bearing. We have other investments that we remain optimistic will eventually grow though the current economic climate is not conducive to sustained growth and won't be as long as our Fearless Leader is committed to class warfare and an anti-business environment.

But patience, patience. The election is now only a year away.

obama081.jpg

I canceled my BofA account about 5 years ago when I heard they were going to give credit cards to illegal aliens.

Scummy ass bank. I hope they go under.

Bank transfer day was a failure. That's why you don't hear anything about it.

As far as BoA is concerned bank transfer day isn't needed, the customers and BoA's competition already took care of the fee situation through a process knows as competition which capitalism fosters ;).

And the people protesting are supposedly poor so I doubt they would be able to impact banks...unless they are actually rich people protesting pretending they are poor.

Could the chip and pin system have had its day?...
:confused:
Has chip and pin had its day?
18 January 2013 - Go to a cash machine in Japan or Poland and there's a good chance you'll find a finger-sized scanner next to the keypad.
The pattern of veins inside your finger is said to be more unique than your fingerprint, and is being heralded by some experts as a more secure alternative to the chip and pin (Personal Identification Number) card system currently favoured by British banks. Electronics giant Hitachi already manufactures a PC-compatible finger vein scanner, which is about the size of a computer mouse and contains LED lights and a video camera.

_65379438_krebs.jpg

A PIN capture device seen by American security expert Brian Krebs

Currently retailing online for £195 plus VAT each, they are not a cheap option. "It is the fastest and most accurate technology we've seen to date," said Roberto Fiorentino, chief executive of British firm Croma Security Solutions, which has fitted finger vein-based security systems in UK hotels, airports and most recently a police armoury. "I have no doubt we will see this technology operating in banks - and perhaps cash machines - in the UK High Street in the future."

A trial currently underway at Southampton General Hospital's intensive care ward has so far shown that health conditions such as high and low blood pressure do not seem to affect a patient's finger vein pattern to the extent that they become unrecognizable.

'Cover your pin'

Bank of America debit fee is only the latest | Consumer News | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

NEW YORK (AP) - Angela Malerba, who works in public relations in Boston, carries a debit card because she likes to know when she buys something that she has enough in her account to pay for it. But paying $5 a month to use her own money? That's too much.

So when Bank of America starts charging the fee next year, Malerba figures she'll rely more heavily on her credit card. Or, in a strategy that seems almost quaint in these swipe-and-go times, she may just carry more cash.

I for one, on Monday, am going to my local bank of america branch to ask to be exempted from these fees. If they refuse i will cancel my acccounts with them.

What are you going to do if you are a customer?

Where you gonna go?

I use a credit union.

Forum List

Back