Will We Become a Divided Country?

Meathead

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2012
Prague, Czech Republic
Unless we have a leader who can bridge the gap in the tradition of Reagan and Clinton, I suggest is is practically inevitable:

The problem with this is that there were more Trump voters in California than there were in something like 30 states. And most cities - which power most of the country's economic growth - are usually Democratic.

So carving up the country by state isn't reflective of what's actually happening in the country. It's not a state divide. It's a rural/urban divide.

The problem with this is that there were more Trump voters in California than there were in something like 30 states. And most cities - which power most of the country's economic growth - are usually Democratic.

So carving up the country by state isn't reflective of what's actually happening in the country. It's not a state divide. It's a rural/urban divide.
An amazing grasp of the obvious, but what happens to the urban shitholes of Red states and the rural areas of Blue states?

Unless we have a leader who can bridge the gap in the tradition of Reagan and Clinton, I suggest is is practically inevitable:

I like how the biased article claims that it is Republicans wanting to divide the country or not wanting to unite. Biden was elected because he claimed he wanted to unite the country. Then he got in bed with the progressives and has never even thrown one crumb to the other side in an attempt to unite. He just figured because he wasn't Trump, the right would lay down their guns and accept abortion, etc. and then the country would be united. By the way, the article is a day late and a dollar short. The country has been already divided for quite a while now. However, I agree we need Presidents and the Congress to actually come together and actually unite instead of just expecting the other side to come over to their side.

I was not addressing the abstract.
We are 50 separate states and we are divided in every community. We are not red states or blue states. We are a combination of both in every state. But we've always been divided. So another way to look at your question is, will we ever come together again? Can the middle ignore the extremes?

Good point. We are very near a point in the demographics where Presidential elections will be moot because of the enormous number of electoral votes that New York, California and Texas receive. When Texas flips Blue due to the influx of millions of immigrants, we will have Democrat Presidents in perpetuity.

We are 50 separate states and we are divided in every community. We are not red states or blue states. We are a combination of both in every state. But we've always been divided. So another way to look at your question is, will we ever come together again? Can the middle ignore the extremes?
E Pluribus Unum is dead, at least for now. It has fallen to misinformation, ego and hubris. I'll keep hoping that we can neutralize the ends of the spectrum, but the only way I know of to do that is to change the system under which they operate.

A system that incentivizes and rewards the worst impulses of its participants is doomed to fail. So, let's fix that.

#ForwardParty

It would be much easier if we were divided by state as in the Civil War.This is a far more different dynamic.

Become a divided country? We've been a divided country for quite some time now. It's officially been more than two decades since the last time our country came together over anything (the last time being 9/11). And that seems like a completely different America than the one we're currently living in. I doubt this country would even come together like we did in 2001 if something like 9/11 were to occur in the present. I honestly can't think of a single thing that would inspire a sense of unity in this country like we had (albeit briefly) after 9/11.

One of the biggest obstacles is the overall loss of trust in our government and our media by people on both sides of the political spectrum. In 2001, people generally felt that our government could be trusted to act in the country's best interests and not harm its own citizens. Today people don't trust each other, and that is due in large part to the massive loss of trust in the media as journalistic integrity eroded to the point of extinction, and the egregious abuses of power by the federal and state governments over the past 20 years, starting immediately after 9/11 with the Patriot Act, and leading up to our recent experiences with Covid lockdowns, vaccine mandates, etc.

US4CC.meme.Hannibal_lecter - imperfect_constitution.png

Somewhat.

Like the Middle East, states will be divided by the nature and intensity of their religious authoritarianism.

This is what the Right wants, and we appear to be moving in that direction.
The "Middle-East" states? I thought we were talking about America.

E Pluribus Unum is dead, at least for now. It has fallen to misinformation, ego and hubris. I'll keep hoping that we can neutralize the ends of the spectrum, but the only way I know of to do that is to change the system under which they operate.

A system that incentivizes and rewards the worst impulses of its participants is doomed to fail. So, let's fix that.

#ForwardParty
i'm going to start the "repeal" party.

I want them to do nothing but repeal everything they fucking possibly can. Starting with all federal gun laws and the department of education, and going from there.

I don't want them to spend any money on anything, at all.

I don't give a shit about foreign affairs or anything else. I just want those motherfuckers to start repealing the shit out of everything in macro fashion.

How does that sound?

Will the "Forward party" adopt my proposal?

Forum List

Back