Will the movie Selma inspire black on white violence

• yes

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • no

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Older blacks will appreciate this movie.

The younger ones who get all worked up against whitey don't need much to set them off.
And the leaders of the black community, Sharpton in particular who thinks he's a great leader of blacks
do what they can to keep the younger blacks in a state of anger all the time.

"Will the movie "Selma" spark violence towards white people"

Oh, brother – of course not.

Only an ignorant racist twit wold conceive of such a thing.
figures a liberal would come out slinging insults, and its would, not wold, ignoramus.
It's a valid observation, the opposition to the civil rights movement reacted with fear just like OP did. It seems some ideas never stop being dangerous to conservative reactionaries.
What fear? I just made a simple observation based on what has been happening in the black community in the last year or so. Is it unrational to think that the white violence depicted in this movie will inspire black retaliation?
The entire message of Selma is that change can be accomplished without violence and anarchy, learn some history for Christ's sake.

This is not a racist thread, all I am asking is, due to the mood today within the African American community, will the violence depicted in the movie Selma, of white violence towards blacks inspire black violence towards whites in retaliation. I saw the angry reactions from the blacks in the audience during the movie trailer, they were not happy about the white violence towards blacks depicted in the movie.
Why would they be happy? They have never been happy with how the opposition to the civil rights movement used the violence of the state to attempt to put them in their place. That does not mean that people are going to go right out and start looting. What seems to you to be ancient history is far too recent not have an emotional impact on AA people who see it. Having not seen it I can be certain that the message not to resort to violence is loud and clear.
I disagree, I think that the anger of the black community today is on a hair trigger and anything can set it off.

figures a liberal would come out slinging insults, and its would, not wold, ignoramus.
It's a valid observation, the opposition to the civil rights movement reacted with fear just like OP did. It seems some ideas never stop being dangerous to conservative reactionaries.
What fear? I just made a simple observation based on what has been happening in the black community in the last year or so. Is it unrational to think that the white violence depicted in this movie will inspire black retaliation?
The entire message of Selma is that change can be accomplished without violence and anarchy, learn some history for Christ's sake.
You seem to think that all people will take that message from the movie? Learn some history about young black anger.

Nothing about the civil rights marches of the sixties was about violence except for those who wanted to shut them up.
This isn't the 60's and the people today don't appear to possess the moral fiber of those from the 60's so your point is rather pointless
If anything the people of today need reminding of how civil rights struggles need to be conducted, Selma is an excellent example of how it needs to be.

Nothing about the civil rights marches of the sixties was about violence except for those who wanted to shut them up.
This isn't the 60's and the people today don't appear to possess the moral fiber of those from the 60's so your point is rather pointless
If anything the people of today need reminding of how civil rights struggles need to be conducted, Selma is an excellent example of how it needs to be.
I agree, but you think that everyone watching the movie will be inspired by the message, wishful thinking on your part.

I think the question in the OP is fair, and the point is will the message be embraced?? Humans have an amazing ability to NOT learn from the past. Time will tell, but while many people consider the true courage involved in the CRM, I'm not sure that a lot of younger people hold them up in as much regard for the real sacrifices they were willing to make, and not just for the times they were living in. They view the approach back then as passive and weak, and want to come out with a stronger stance. Again, probably because they think it will speed up progress, while some view it as moving attitudes of acceptance in reverse.

This is not a racist thread, all I am asking is, due to the mood today within the African American community, will the violence depicted in the movie Selma, of white violence towards blacks inspire black violence towards whites in retaliation. I saw the angry reactions from the blacks in the audience during the movie trailer, they were not happy about the white violence towards blacks depicted in the movie.
Why would they be happy? They have never been happy with how the opposition to the civil rights movement used the violence of the state to attempt to put them in their place. That does not mean that people are going to go right out and start looting. What seems to you to be ancient history is far too recent not have an emotional impact on AA people who see it. Having not seen it I can be certain that the message not to resort to violence is loud and clear.
I disagree, I think that the anger of the black community today is on a hair trigger and anything can set it off.
Isn't that you having a fearful reaction to a situation you do not fully understand? You are operating from a stereotype that does not reflect the reality of things. Movements need an underlying philosophy and if they have to resurrect MLKjr to do it right then this movie can only serve to make things less scary to you.

Isn't that you having a fearful reaction to a situation you do not fully understand? You are operating from a stereotype that does not reflect the reality of things. Movements need an underlying philosophy and if they have to resurrect MLKjr to do it right then this movie can only serve to make things less scary to you.

Why do you feel the need to insult me for asking a question? Why to you think I am afraid? you seem to be the one who is afraid. Afraid to face the truth.

I think the question in the OP is fair, and the point is will the message be embraced?? Humans have an amazing ability to NOT learn from the past. Time will tell, but while many people consider the true courage involved in the CRM, I'm not sure that a lot of younger people hold them up in as much regard for the real sacrifices they were willing to make, and not just for the times they were living in. They view the approach back then as passive and weak, and want to come out with a stronger stance. Again, probably because they think it will speed up progress, while some view it as moving attitudes of acceptance in reverse.
I think the majority of whites sympathized with the cause back then, agreeing with the truth in the message of equality. Today, most Americans feel legal equality has been achieved. Any violence for a cause in these times would be seen as counterproductive.

African-Americans are well-aware of the crimes committed against them during the Civil Rights Era, and how most conservatives sought to deny them their civil liberties; there will be nothing new related by the film African-Americans don't already know.

Why do you feel the need to insult me for asking a question? Why to you think I am afraid? you seem to be the one who is afraid. Afraid to face the truth.
OK here is the trailer in question:

Having been raised very near Selma and being old enough to dimly remember the events represented I see nothing but truth here and I am not afraid of truth. I am not trying to insult you by suggesting that you are motivated by fear, practically everyone is to an extent, I am trying to make you see your argument for what it is. We could all use a shot of courage these days so I am not putting you down for being fearful, I am telling you to have courage and a little faith in people.

Having been raised very near Selma and being old enough to dimly remember the events represented I see nothing but truth here and I am not afraid of truth. I am not trying to insult you by suggesting that you are motivated by fear, practically everyone is to an extent, I am trying to make you see your argument for what it is. We could all use a shot of courage these days so I am not putting you down for being fearful, I am telling you to have courage and a little faith in people.

Not so easy to do these days.

I doubt it, not with the message that MLKjr. successfully preached of passive resistance and a devotion to compassion and reason. If it has any effect at all it will be to illustrate that anarchy is counter-productive.
We've seen how well MLK's and Obama's messages of peace has gotten the black community. Throw Sharpton passive demeanor in, how can it miss.

Not so easy to do these days.

It's not that hard, just quit letting the media scare you and overly inform your perceptions of how people are. Most people are reasonable and do not want to see strife and violence. All popular movements are occasionally marred by anarchy but it is never the whole story and it is never an excuse to ignore what got people upset in the first place.

I certainly don't fear the truth, I fear the propaganda. If whites are constantly portrayed as enemies of blacks, they just might become so.

And that is something to fear.

Forum List

Back