• no

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NLT

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2011
I saw the trailer for this movie this weekend while watching unbroken. With the anger lately with the black community, do you think this movie will inspire violence towards white people.

No..I went and saw it. I thought it was very well done and well... in many respects factual.

Nothing about the civil rights marches of the sixties was about violence except for those who wanted to shut them up.

Nothing about the civil rights marches of the sixties was about violence except for those who wanted to shut them up.
I am not talking about the 60's. I am talking about the black reaction to the violence in this movie towards blacks, will they be inspired to violence?

It's a possibility. Today too many are looking for reasons

I am not talking about the 60's. I am talking about the black reaction to the violence in this movie towards blacks, will they be inspired to violence?
I doubt it, not with the message that MLKjr. successfully preached of passive resistance and a devotion to compassion and reason. If it has any effect at all it will be to illustrate that anarchy is counter-productive.

There were many whites standing side-by-side in the front lines of the civil rights movement of the 1960's. Some of them were even killed. Back in those days the movement held the high moral ground.

Today, not so much.

MLK was a great leader in my book. He was simply hated because of the color of his skin. Where did this hatred ever come from? I will never understand this... ever. Thinking another race is inferior is simply pathetic.

"Will the movie "Selma" spark violence towards white people"

Oh, brother – of course not.

Only an ignorant racist twit wold conceive of such a thing.
figures a liberal would come out slinging insults, and its would, not wold, ignoramus.

This is not a racist thread, all I am asking is, due to the mood today within the African American community, will the violence depicted in the movie Selma, of white violence towards blacks inspire black violence towards whites in retaliation. I saw the angry reactions from the blacks in the audience during the movie trailer, they were not happy about the white violence towards blacks depicted in the movie.

figures a liberal would come out slinging insults, and its would, not wold, ignoramus.
It's a valid observation, the opposition to the civil rights movement reacted with fear just like OP did. It seems some ideas never stop being dangerous to conservative reactionaries.

Oprah recently got blasted by the youth involved in the modern movement when she stated that what they lack today is solid leadership. I agree with her, but I think every generation wants to do it their way, and think that they know better. MLK did change the world, and in a very positive way. As I was watching that trailer, I was thinking how it could have had the potential to be inspirational and give everyone something to reflect on in regards to how far we've come, and the challenges we still face. Because of all the racial animosity stoked up during the past several years, I unfortunately don't think that will be the take away from this film. I wouldn't say that it would incite more violence, but could be used as a tool to justify more of a Malcolm X sort of mindset. We live in times when people demand immediacy in all parts of their life, and trying to explain to people that patience is a key element in effective change will probably not fly with this current era of protestors. They are not interested in sympathy marches, or putting in any work to change hearts and minds the way MLK inspired people to act. Ultimately I think such an approach, whether fair or not, will lead to more division and aggressive attitudes on all sides. It's really a terrible shame to watch relations deteriorate rather than continuing on a steady path of progress.

It's a valid observation, the opposition to the civil rights movement reacted with fear just like OP did. It seems some ideas never stop being dangerous to conservative reactionaries.
I can name a couple of NYC cops who might disagree about the conservative part of your post.

What fear? I just made a simple observation based on what has been happening in the black community in the last year or so. Is it unrational to think that the white violence depicted in this movie will inspire black retaliation?

I am sure there will be just as much violence sparked as there was "The Butler" and "12 Years a Slave" premiered. lol

This is not a racist thread, all I am asking is, due to the mood today within the African American community, will the violence depicted in the movie Selma, of white violence towards blacks inspire black violence towards whites in retaliation. I saw the angry reactions from the blacks in the audience during the movie trailer, they were not happy about the white violence towards blacks depicted in the movie.
Why would they be happy? They have never been happy with how the opposition to the civil rights movement used the violence of the state to attempt to put them in their place. That does not mean that people are going to go right out and start looting. What seems to you to be ancient history is far too recent not have an emotional impact on AA people who see it. Having not seen it I can be certain that the message not to resort to violence is loud and clear.

Forum List

Back