Will the GOP ever be fiscally conservative as the GOP was in the 1990s?

LaDairis

Gold Member
May 9, 2019
Basically, that is the real MOST IMPORTANT issue.

Government was in control in the 1990s because Newt kept it tight. Budgets that cut both spending and taxes in the 1990s produced budget surplus and booming economy.

The GOP has not been for fiscal conservatism since 1998.

The problem on that issue, of course, is the whole Israel/Zionism issue, and the fact that pro Israel Christians are incapable of understanding fiscal conservatism since they do not understand

BASIC FUCKING MATH

The rest of the GOP needs to wake up and remember that math matters. We were under $6 trillion in debt when W took office with a mandate to continue Gingrich's success. W, of course, the worst traitor in American history, spent and grew government faster than LBJ, complete with free opium pills....

We're definitely going to go back to being fiscally conservative but the big question is, will it be by choice or force? Hopefully choice.

The GOP was never fiscally conservative. Spending & Deficit was slashed under Clinton & Democrats Before Republicans took the House.
fredgraph.png

The Republican claim to fiscal conservatism has been a hoax. A massive hoax.

They whined for more than eight years over Obama's debt from day one of his administration and then went completely silent when Trump proceeded to run up the biggest amount of debt in US history.

There is nothing the organization formerly known as the Republican Party actually believe in except the acquisition of power and grift.

They whined for more than eight years over Obama's debt from day one of his administration and then went completely silent when Trump proceeded to run up the biggest amount of debt in US history.
There is nothing the organization formerly known as the Republican Party actually believe in except the acquisition of power and grift.
1. Agree that both parties add too much to the Debt. There will need to be big changes to the Federal Budget. SS will go bankrupt in 2034 so the munchkins need to be happy with 70% of promised benefits.
2. The Department of Education will be eliminated, total responsibility of the States
3. The US military budget will be cut to about $600b a year
4. Eliminate ALL Foreign Aid
5.. Cut Welfare and Medicaid by half
6. On the income side we'd need to implement a new Federal Sales Tax to raise about $400b a year.
7. Will the US default on its $30T Debt? As interest rates rise that interest bites into spending. Printing money is a bad idea. There are no good ideas how to pay back $30T.
8. I think you're old enough to remember the "Grace Commission"? All of their great recommendations were ignored. I suggest another "Grace Commission" to cut waste and get us out of the fiscal mess.

So if you want to be Fiscally Responsible it will take a lot of pain, and no party wants to bite the bullet until the fiscal ax falls.

1. Agree that both parties add too much to the Debt. There will need to be big changes to the Federal Budget. SS will go bankrupt in 2034 so the munchkins need to be happy with 70% of promised benefits.
2. The Department of Education will be eliminated, total responsibility of the States
6. On the income side we'd need to implement a new Federal Sales Tax to raise about $400b a year.
7. Will the US default on its $30T Debt? As interest rates rise that interest bites into spending. Printing money is a bad idea. There are no good ideas how to pay back $30T.
8. I think you're old enough to remember the "Grace Commission"? All of their great recommendations were ignored. I suggest another "Grace Commission" to cut waste and get us out of the fiscal mess.

So if you want to be Fiscally Responsible it will take a lot of pain, and no party wants to bite the bullet until the fiscal ax falls.
I have proposed several solutions to the federal debt problem many, many times on this forum. You've been on this forum longer than I have, so you must have noticed by now it is my number one issue.

1. Ban all tax expenditures. These add up to $1.4 trillion of hidden spending every year.

2. Raise the Social Security and Medicare eligibility ages to 70 and index to 9 percent of the population going forward. We are living longer, we should be working longer.

3. Eliminate the federal income tax and institute the Fair Tax. Taxes on consumption are superior to taxes on production. It is also harder to hide a tax increase in the Fair Tax. Most people don't even know how much they paid in taxes last year, they just remember how much their refund was. Everyone would notice the instant the Fair Tax increased.

All of this would provide a massive surplus which would allow us to lower taxes on everyone and pay back the federal debt. And once the debt was paid off, we could lower taxes even more.

The GOP was never fiscally conservative. Spending & Deficit was slashed under Clinton & Democrats Before Republicans took the House.
fredgraph.png
Spending & Deficit was slashed under Clinton & Democrats Before Republicans took the House.

1644361233332.png

1644361378886.png

Where did Dems slash spending?

Fuck that noise....Cut spending $400b more.

Spending & Deficit was slashed under Clinton & Democrats Before Republicans took the House.

View attachment 598961
View attachment 598965

Where did Dems slash spending?
That was all basically on autopilot, as Perot pointed out numerous times in the '92 campaign.

Today, whoever becomes physically conservative to balance the budget will not be elected anymore.

Government was in control in the 1990s because Newt kept it tight. Budgets that cut both spending and taxes in the 1990s produced budget surplus and booming economy.

The problem on that issue, of course, is the whole Israel/Zionism issue, and the fact that pro Israel Christians are incapable of understanding fiscal conservatism since they do not understand

BASIC FUCKING MATH

The rest of the GOP needs to wake up and remember that math matters. We were under $6 trillion in debt when W took office with a mandate to continue Gingrich's success. W, of course, the worst traitor in American history, spent and grew government faster than LBJ, complete with free opium pills....
The GOP is not fiscally conservative.

The GOP was fiscally conservative in the 1990s? That's news to me. The GOP has been spending money like a drunk sailor since Reagan and hasn't stopped spending since.

I have proposed several solutions to the federal debt problem many, many times on this forum. You've been on this forum longer than I have, so you must have noticed by now it is my number one issue.
1. Ban all tax expenditures. These add up to $1.4 trillion of hidden spending every year.
2. Raise the Social Security and Medicare eligibility ages to 70 and index to 9 percent of the population going forward. We are living longer, we should be working longer.
3. Eliminate the federal income tax and institute the Fair Tax. Taxes on consumption are superior to taxes on production. It is also harder to hide a tax increase in the Fair Tax. Most people don't even know how much they paid in taxes last year, they just remember how much their refund was. Everyone would notice the instant the Fair Tax increased.
All of this would provide a massive surplus which would allow us to lower taxes on everyone and pay back the federal debt. And once the debt was paid off, we could lower taxes even more.
Yes I think we've discussed ways to get back to fiscal sanity on this forum, but I'm old and have CRS disease (Can't remember S___)
So here we go again:
1. What do you mean ban all tax expenditures? Is that the same as eliminating all "subsidies"?

2. Partly agree with your SS fix, we need to raise the early retirement age from 62 to 65, 70 is way too old to keep working.

3. I don't agree with your age 70 Medicare fix, 65 is old enough to quit working.

4. When I hear the "Fair Tax" I hear Mike Huckabee's "Flat Tax". The democrats would go nuts if we all paid the same tax rate as the billionaires. Taxes on consumption sound like a "value added" tax to me, but I'm not sure what you mean. I know there is a subtle difference between a Sales Tax and a VAT.

Fuck that noise....Cut spending $400b more.
You can only cut so much. Here is the federal budget, its a $1.02 Trillion from balancing, not even discussing paying down the $30T Debt. Mandatory spending means it can't be cut, period.

2021 Federal Budget
Outlays $4.88T
Receipts $3.86T
Deficit $1.02T

Discretionary Spending
Defense $753b
Non-defense $733b
Total $1.49T

Mandatory Spending
Social Security $1,115b
Medicare 746b
Medicaid 452b
Other 660b
Interest on Debt 379b
Total $3.39T

1644363654924.png

So you'd cut Transportation, Education, Veterans, Justice, Community Development?
Not enough, that's peanuts. Just cutting Medicaid and Welfare would be a tough slog.

BASIC FUCKING MATH

Love this post. You're spot on when it comes to the GOP becoming CINO's (conservative in name only). But I gotta correct you on a few things. Maybe I'm older. Or more knowledgeable on history. (not that any of those are a good thing)

And you could even use better examples than this if you were to go back even farther, But in my opinion, Reagan was the first of the CINO's. He was the first president to ever spend (new spending) over $1 trillion. Not only that, but he gave us 1 tax reduction and 4 tax increases. And increased the debt ceiling 17 times.

And one of the worst things about that is the American people considered Reagan "The Great Conservative." LMAO.. And some still do.

Now a days, politicians like Romney and Trump are considered conservatives. Why? I suppose its the influence of the media not telling the truth. They changed the definition of "conservatism" many years ago, and forgot to explain it to the public.
In fact, the GOP (and democrats) went so far as to try and label "conservatism" as "Libertarianism" because of the messed up reputation of libertarians. Dope smoking liberals who cared more about tranny freedoms than the working class. And it worked.

Just like it worked when the GOP destroyed the 2007 Tea Party. Or the Democrats destroying the OW movement.

BASIC FUCKING MATH

So you're completely letting Reagan off the hook. He's the guy who started this "cut and spend" fiscal program Republicans have been using to destroy the middle and working classes.

So you're completely letting Reagan off the hook. He's the guy who started this "cut and spend" fiscal program Republicans have been using to destroy the middle and working classes.

Don't be so harsh. Reagan, for some, is ancient history.

SS is going insolvent in 2034
Medicare is going bankrupt in 2024
The $32T Debt is killing the Budget as the Fed raises interest rates on that Debt, currently interest is $412b a year and rising.
Those 87,000 armed and deadly new IRS agents have their work cut out for them.

Forum List

Back