Will less Americans be able to afford heating bills this winter?

No shortages here in the U.S. We have all the natural gas that we need...a 500 year proven reserve, in fact.

Which is not to say that heating costs won't go up. Utilities are great at exploiting everything, even good stuff, as an excuse to raise rates.

Sorry to mention this, but "fewer" is more gooder than "less."

Germany etc are already facing shortages of natural gas and we are using up our strategic oil reserves...just so Biden etc could say the price of gas went down. How about this winter and where will our supple of all energy be coming from?

Probably from local, state, and federal programs that offer to pay for people's heating and electricity. They're already starting to pop up, and it's not even Winter.

No shortages here in the U.S. We have all the natural gas that we need...a 500 year proven reserve, in fact.

Which is not to say that heating costs won't go up. Utilities are great at exploiting everything, even good stuff, as an excuse to raise rates.

It's not that there's a shortage. Inflation and the incoming recession is going to make many folks decide between heating their homes, or keeping the lights on. Thank God we're not Europe. They're about to get hammered.

Germany etc are already facing shortages of natural gas and we are using up our strategic oil reserves...just so Biden etc could say the price of gas went down. How about this winter and where will our supple of all energy be coming from?
Who is we?

The overall topic of energy should start with what we have and what we might need in the future. Previous generations saw the coming needs of an every growing population and built the dams, for hydro power, developed the oil industry etc. It seem now the so called Leaders, decide we need to move away from those things and go to alternatives. Fine but this nation is not ready to do all that right now. Build electric cars, OK, but who has planned on how to "fuel' them, without a huge electric producing system? Calif doesn't even have enough of that electricity to avoid rolling blackouts right now. Hydro power is probably both the cheapest and renewable power we can have. Anything being done to increase that?

US natural gas prices spike to 14-year high.​

New York (CNN Business)

US natural gas prices have skyrocketed to levels unseen since 2008, a spike that threatens to offset the benefits of falling prices at the gas pump.

Natural gas futures surged 7% on Tuesday to close at $9.33 per million British thermal unit (BTU), the highest closing price since August 1, 2008.

Although natural gas futures cooled off a touch on Wednesday, they remain up about 70% just since the end of June. And natural gas is up a staggering 525% since closing at $1.48 in June 2020 when Covid-19 had shut much of the US economy down.

US natural gas prices spike to 14-year high. Here's why

On the contrary, gasoline, diesel/kerosene, and LPG are already double the price it was in December 2020. The average retiree, and/or citizen making 36,000 a year will not be able to pay for heating their homes this winter.

Natural gas has gone up about 300%. Hope you tell Biden thanks. That's what you got for your vote.

Wait until you are charged 185 times your normal electric bill to heat and power your home... Then you too will be sucking.

When that happens I will let you know.

I used the exact same amount of NG in Aug 2021 as Aug 2022, in 2022 my bill was less than 6 dollars higher.

In 2021 about 12.3 cents per KWH, in 2022 it was 11.3 cents.

We will be fine!

About 1 in 6 American households are behind on their utility bills, the highest number on record, according to the National Energy Assistance Directors Association.

I have solar panels and my electric bills have been >=$300.00.
I have a solar-powered calculator and my electric bills are <$300. :)

My utility no longer shares the info, but we get most of our power from coal, gas, nuclear, then hydro and other renewables with some wind and solar thrown in for political correctness.

Forum List

Back