WIGGYS sleeping bags

pismoe

Platinum Member
May 17, 2014
I just ordered one today , I ordered the ' Wiggys Superlight' Zero degree mummy bag . I've been reading and getting info for the last 6 months and just spent the $180.00 which includes free shipping . Reviews are good for the most part although there are a lotta Wiggy detractors on all the hunting and survival sites where I've been reading reviews . --- Super Light --- I was going to get a Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends Down bag but I like synthetic and its a lot cheaper . If this bag fails in expectation I still might go high end Down if I have to .

bag delivered today , nice bag , very well made , everything is heavy duty . Weighs about 5 pounds . Stuffs down to a package about 20" long and about 11" round so its no light weight minimalist bag . Its a nice bag with heavy duty zipper , should last a long time , is machine washable and dryable at low heat or in the sun .

yeah , yeah , yeah , and here I thought that I had interested someone in a discussion on sleeping bags . Hows it goin Mr. H ??

yeah , yeah , yeah , and here I thought that I had interested someone in a discussion on sleeping bags . Hows it goin Mr. H ??
Me? This Mr. H.?

Why, I'm comfortable and healthy. Thank you for asking.

I don't get why you spend 6 months researching something that you may very well end up replacing.

I have a cheap $20 Coleman bag, and just bring along extra blankets.

I toss and turn too much for blankets to stay on me, even with a pin. I went with proper clothing, cause you gotta get out of the sleep gear to do things. :) i use a land shark, to which I've added a drawstring hood, and a "heat bubbled" tyvek liner, and velcro seams in both, so that they can be laid flat, like a tarp. Also a pair of 3x4 Tyvek bags, with velcro seams. they can become a pea pod around the hammock, stuff with debris and laid upon, or opend up (velcro seams again) and used like tarps

regular bags get wet/worthless. the zippers jam and break. For the weight and bulk involved, and the lack of versatility, i don't care for them at all. if you've got debris around you, and 2 layers of clothing, just stuff the grass/leaves between your clothing layers as extra insulation. When you no longer need it, shake it out.

regular bags get wet/worthless. the zippers jam and break. For the weight and bulk involved, and the lack of versatility, i don't care for them at all. if you've got debris around you, and 2 layers of clothing, just stuff the grass/leaves between your clothing layers as extra insulation. When you no longer need it, shake it out.
Been using US Army surplus bag for 30 years.

I rarely camp, but when I do, I am warm.

Are you hiking in to a backcountry camp and using that as a base from where you're hunting? If you're car camping, weight shouldn't be an issue.

I own a Sierra Designs Dri-Down bag. It's supposed to keep me warmer than a regular down bag in wetter conditions, but it doesn't really keep me that warm even when it's dry.

Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends make excellent bags, but like you said, they're expensive.

Marmot also makes great bags, and some of their high end bags have water resistant shells. A friend of mine used one on Denali and Mount Logan and swears by'em, but they cost like $600.

When I hiked the Pacific Crest Trail, I used a Kelty bag. $150, lightweight, and I slept under the stars unless it was raining and used a tarp tent if it did rain and stayed comfy.

Or you could do like prison/con.net and go survivalist extreme! Props, dude. Leaves in your clothes? Geezus!

Been "lost" twice.

First time, I slept on a bed of pine branches until the moon came up, and I found my way out.

Was a stupid mistake, hauling out deer in a pack and not paying enough attention as it got dark.

I was back in my truck by midnight, when the moon let me see a bit.

The other time, shit, I ventured into a new place, and, when it got too dark to see, rather than thrash around, I found a big deadfall, got between the fire and a the big dead trunk, and slept like a baby all night.

Never been reduced to stuffing leaves in my clothes, or, wiping my ass with them.

One should always have at least two lighters and a flashlight, plus water or a filter, if they are going where they might get lost.

As for camping, I prefer a bed.

Too damned old for camping!

well the Wiggys bag was only about 160.00 and it came with a nice compression bag , its olive drab and a nice big mummy for home or car camping . So now I have a heavy duty drab bag and the wife also has one for just in case . She has a Mountain Hardware 'Lamina' that light and packable but if dayglo colors which I hate . I also have a 'hill people gear' serape that packs down pretty well , weighs about 2 pounds . Anyway , I'm now checking out Feathered Friends and their new 'quilts' . Their quilts are nice but only go to 20 above zero . Anyway --- Hill People Gear Real use gear for backcountry travelers --- Flicker UL 20 Quilt Sleeping Bag - Feathered Friends --- for really heavy duty in a dry very cold place , I'd likely go for Western Mountaineering or Feather Friends Sleeping bag .

well the Wiggys bag was only about 160.00 and it came with a nice compression bag , its olive drab and a nice big mummy for home or car camping . So now I have a heavy duty drab bag and the wife also has one for just in case . She has a Mountain Hardware 'Lamina' that light and packable but if dayglo colors which I hate . I also have a 'hill people gear' serape that packs down pretty well , weighs about 2 pounds . Anyway , I'm now checking out Feathered Friends and their new 'quilts' . Their quilts are nice but only go to 20 above zero . Anyway --- Hill People Gear Real use gear for backcountry travelers --- Flicker UL 20 Quilt Sleeping Bag - Feathered Friends --- for really heavy duty in a dry very cold place , I'd likely go for Western Mountaineering or Feather Friends Sleeping bag .
My GI bags served me, and three sons, well, at the cost of about 50 cents a year over thirty years.

aww 160 dollar bag ain't nothing in my opinion . I like efficient gear , guns , gold , silver and cash . Most likely I'll just sell or give away my older less efficient stuff as I acquire more or better stuff . I like being able to travel with everything I want in or strapped to a 50 litre bag . That's traveling to Vegas or going in the woods . OFF TOPIC but I like the KELTY REDWING 50 except that I think that the zippers are too light weight . Still , a nice bag if gotten in the right earthy color , I hate brightly colored bags , gear or clothes .

think I typed 160 but that ain't big money to keep you warm . Plus haulage , like I say , 50 litre backpack is what I like to carry Moonglow .

and the Kelty 50 Redwing backpack . Decent , durable but I'm careful with the zippers and mine is ' forest green' or something like that and its a nice color . --- Kelty Redwing 50 Panel-Loading Multiday Hiking Backpack 50 Liter --- about 120 dollars when I bought mine . I tie the waist belt to the back when I just want to use the shoulder straps and that works pretty well . I mostly use it on my 'mc' or when my wife and I travel .

I just ordered one today , I ordered the ' Wiggys Superlight' Zero degree mummy bag . I've been reading and getting info for the last 6 months and just spent the $180.00 which includes free shipping . Reviews are good for the most part although there are a lotta Wiggy detractors on all the hunting and survival sites where I've been reading reviews . --- Super Light --- I was going to get a Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends Down bag but I like synthetic and its a lot cheaper . If this bag fails in expectation I still might go high end Down if I have to .

A good sleeping bag makes the difference in a camping trip. If this one fails, keep looking for a better synthetic fill bag. If down gets wet it is worse than nothing.

yep , sleeping bag can be life and death and Wiggys comes with lots of recs from hunting boards in Alaska regarding warmth , packs a little big at about 5 lbs but built like a tank and everyone claims its a good bag for warmth plus #10 zippers . It is warm and durable , great for car camping or permanent camp and it is synthetic .

sure, as long as nobody's shooting at you, or chasing you, and you have all day to do whatever, regular bags suffice. But when things get tough and you NEED the damned things, they are a heavy, bulky, pita. I favor the landshark, or SoL escape bivvy, with a drawstring hood. I use a 'heat bubbled' tyvek liner in mine. Rolled up, the bag and liner serve as a frame for my pack. The bag and liner are modified with velcro seams, as are the Tyvek bags that serve as poncho, tarps, pea-pod shelter, sleeping pads.

Forum List

Back