WIGGYS sleeping bags

like every experienced packer, i HATE EVERY last oz and cubic inch of gear that i have to lug around, so I minimize both.

I quit packing "just for fun" over 30 years ago. Now I do it only to test myself and my gear. To me,. part of the 'proper clothing" for BOB is soft body armor, to include threat Level IIA boxer shorts. your groin, butt, pelvis and upper thighs are very nearly as large and vital a target, also as nearly as vital to keep warm, as your chest. I shaved 5 lbs off of the other gear to make it feasible to be armored for the bugout. VERY few people will have hi-v rifles for the start of shtf. I'd much rather "only" be able to stop .22lr, pistol and carbine rds, buck and bird shot, and target-tipped arrows, pellet guns, etc, than have such things penetrate my vitals, thanks just the same.

why not? beats lugging around the bulk and weight of a sleeping bag, and being unable to use its warmth, except when you're lying around. Try wearing a sleeping bag as you're moving around and SEE if it doesn't get wet, torn, zippers jammed, etc. Why do people "think" that it's gonna only be cold at night and while you're stationary, hmm? When those are the circumstances, you can have a FIRE, heat up rocks to bury under your sleeping gear, heat up water to bottle and bring inside of your sleeping gear with you.

I'm always minimizing , next is a high end Primaloft jacket to replace my M65 . I may keep my liner because it packs pretty small but smaller and lighter , more packable is always better imo . I got the money at the moment so I see no problem with a little bit of spending . Primaloft is my current insulation of choice , if anyone knows something synthetic that is better , let me know . Climashield has been replaced by Primaloft unless someone knows better !!

I quit packing "just for fun" over 30 years ago. Now I do it only to test myself and my gear. To me,. part of the 'proper clothing" for BOB is soft body armor, to include threat Level IIA boxer shorts. your groin, butt, pelvis and upper thighs are very nearly as large and vital a target, also as nearly as vital to keep warm, as your chest. I shaved 5 lbs off of the other gear to make it feasible to be armored for the bugout. VERY few people will have hi-v rifles for the start of shtf. I'd much rather "only" be able to stop .22lr, pistol and carbine rds, buck and bird shot, and target-tipped arrows, pellet guns, etc, than have such things penetrate my vitals, thanks just the same.

Right, because every activity is SHTF prep for you. It might come as a surprise, but most people do things they enjoy without spending every waking moment focused on a SHTF situation that may never happen.

And this logic that tells you that people will not have high velocity rifles from the beginning of the SHFT comes from where? If you are correct in your claims, there will be more weaponry at the beginning not less.

LMAO! Your claims are so lame that even YOU don't pay attention to them.

I don't think I could use mummy style bags. I move around too much when I sleep for something like that. Course..I don't camp out in the winter either so...

regular bags get wet/worthless. the zippers jam and break. For the weight and bulk involved, and the lack of versatility, i don't care for them at all. if you've got debris around you, and 2 layers of clothing, just stuff the grass/leaves between your clothing layers as extra insulation. When you no longer need it, shake it out.
Been "lost" twice.

First time, I slept on a bed of pine branches until the moon came up, and I found my way out.

Was a stupid mistake, hauling out deer in a pack and not paying enough attention as it got dark.

I was back in my truck by midnight, when the moon let me see a bit.

The other time, shit, I ventured into a new place, and, when it got too dark to see, rather than thrash around, I found a big deadfall, got between the fire and a the big dead trunk, and slept like a baby all night.

Never been reduced to stuffing leaves in my clothes, or, wiping my ass with them.

One should always have at least two lighters and a flashlight, plus water or a filter, if they are going where they might get lost.

As for camping, I prefer a bed.

Too damned old for camping!

"You ever been lost?" "Lost?....No...been powerful confused for a month or two..but never lost!" Charelton Heston and Brian Keith in the movie The Mountain Men.

wiggys are pretty big even as a mummy , mine is rated zero , number 10 zipper on the left or right . They are worth the few bucks . I think I paid 160 , included the stuff compression sack . Should last forever . Wash it in the washer , dry it over the clothes line . Really not too big compared to similarly priced sleeping bags with tiny zippers and the are not built as well .

Paid about $175 for a mummy bag rated to -30 degrees and incredibly light. Came with a frighteningly effective compression bag. Now that was in 1988 so the price represented serious money.

Bag went to The Mt. Everest Base Camp and later up The Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. Never a burden to carry and never a cold sleep.

It's hanging free (not compressed) in a closet but will probably never be used for anything other than a heating system failure. Until it's inherited by somebody younger.

Bought it in a "factory store" in Chico, California. Can't remember the brand and too lazy to go look.

Chico , bet a 10 spot that it was a Western Mountaneering' bag . One of the best , think its 'down' other good Down bags come from Feathered Friends out of Seattle . Both bags that I mention are American made I think .

I just ordered one today , I ordered the ' Wiggys Superlight' Zero degree mummy bag . I've been reading and getting info for the last 6 months and just spent the $180.00 which includes free shipping . Reviews are good for the most part although there are a lotta Wiggy detractors on all the hunting and survival sites where I've been reading reviews . --- Super Light --- I was going to get a Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends Down bag but I like synthetic and its a lot cheaper . If this bag fails in expectation I still might go high end Down if I have to .

I bought a new sleeping bag last year.....AFTER USING THE same one for the past 15 or so years. A little over a hundred bucks as I recall, and good for -25 degrees ( 25 below 0 ).

Pack my rucksack ( my "A" bag ) and my duffle bag ( My "B" Bag ) in the woods on my dads, or my cousins four wheeler.

It is warm, and even with temps in the high 20's of a night, I still sleep very warm and comfortable. I use poncho liners to cover up with in the late spring, summer and early fall.

Shadow 355

everyone has thoughts on quality and quality varies and cost is also an issue . Kifaru is supposed to be quality synthetic --- Slick Bag --- course , you pay your money and you take your chances .

I had a really nice North Face down bag for years. It got stolen in the late 80s. Now I have a Coleman bag that has some features I like and didn't cost an arm and a leg. My camping has gotten much more comfort oriented as I have gotten older.

I see a good bag as a survival item plus a camping item . I like compactness , lightweight , synthetic and warmth . If down is considered I'd go Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends .Anywhere from 700 to maybe a grand but I like lots of overkill . In my area I can see 0 degree and lower but I can ventilate .

Forum List

Back