Why wouldn't Jesus...

want us to structure our society to help the poor?

Jesus preached that we should help the poor...that is indisputable.

I often see self-described Christians arguing against social welfare, claiming that Jesus meant that we should help the poor individually.

This makes no sense to me. If we have the power, as individuals, to collectively help the poor then IMO this is what Jesus would want us to do.

Any thoughts?

Actually, there's no actual proof that jesus said anything attributed to him, nor is there any actual proof that he even existed.
Not pertinent to the thread.

"Jesus preached that we should help the poor...that is indisputable."

The only thing that's indisputable is that there's no solid proof that Jesus even existed. Why should it be indisputable?

I often see self-described Christians arguing against social welfare, claiming that Jesus meant that we should help the poor individually.

This makes no sense to me. If we have the power, as individuals, to collectively help the poor then IMO this is what Jesus would want us to do.

Any thoughts?
Because Jesus wasn't about government. He was about mans personal relationship with God.

Actually, there's no actual proof that jesus said anything attributed to him, nor is there any actual proof that he even existed.
Not pertinent to the thread.

"Jesus preached that we should help the poor...that is indisputable."

The only thing that's indisputable is that there's no solid proof that Jesus even existed. Why should it be indisputable?
No, it is not indisputable. Jesus exists, period. Stop listening to satan.

Any thoughts?
Because Jesus wasn't about government. He was about mans personal relationship with God.

so this bullshit about america being a christian nation is just that, bullshit.

Any thoughts?

Ya, in "in god we trust" and "one nation under god", they must be talking about allah. :lol:

Any thoughts?

If Jesus had his way, he would have us give less in taxes and more individually to the poor.

Any thoughts?

jesus also said give unto caesar that which is caesar's... seems like a lot of self-professed christians don't like doing that.

Mathew 10: 17-25 clearly addresses one criterion for getting into heaven and it isn't a popular one; especially in a Capitalistic society like ours. If this nation was truly as Christian as we would have the world believe, the only rich people would be non Christians.

Abraham, Issac, Joseph, David, Solomon were all wealthy. The Lord "blesses" those that follow him. Many of them give away great sums of money (unlike most democrats) to charities. They are still wealthy.
Chistianity teaches that "wealth" should not be your god (you should not desire it above all else). When the woman poured expensive oils on Yeshua and his disciples tried to lecture her, Yeshua told them what she did was right. A wealthy man gave Yeshua a "tomb", that same man was in Yeshua's company when He taught. Yeshua never was recorded as scolding Joseph for his wealth.

It is one of the things Christians want for all peoples: for them to know and be "blessed" by the Lord.

I knew you would bring up the Old Testament which is basically Judaism. But that still doesn't trivialize what Jesus said in Matthews 10:17-25, the New Testament. He said it, I just brought it here for all to see and ponder. And, that wealthy man that you mention might very well have been the same man who finally asked Jesus how he might get salvation only to have Jesus tell him to give all he had away and follow Him.

Please try to comprehend that story. That particular man believed that he was doing everything "according to Jewish law". He believed that going thru the motions would be enough. Yeshua told him that is not enough to "pretend" you believe in the Lord. You must believe in your heart and follow his teachings (if every person was exactly the same, there would be way too many people, each person chooses how to live and give to the Lord). I find it ironic that the story you chose is typically used to manipulate people; the people telling the story have never given away their wealth (and are probably among the least charitable). Yeshua was never against "wealth". Yeshua was against "greed" (people trying to take what they did not earn), "envy" (people trying to destroy what others have by causing the owner distress or forcibly taking from them..... can you say "OCCUPY"?), stealing (kidnapping), coveting (seducing, conning or outright robbery).

So please read the story and get back to me about how Yeshua condemned all wealth, because I can tell you straight up, you are wrong....

Any thoughts?

Jesus preached that we should help the poor...that is indisputable. Indeed. 10 fold, 30 fold, 100 fold. Your choice. Can you understand that, Ravi? It is up to you and your conviction. Why take that away?

how is that taken away if individually we choose to act in concert to help others?

Read Proverbs, it tells us not (that is NOT) to put your money in a common purse (that would be the gov't). That is not for gov't funding handouts, taxes are for "infrastructure" (roads, justice, law enforcement, border protection). Forcing people to "give" to take care of someone else's choice of "victim" is allowing you to ignore the needy around you (you can walk right by them or ignore them because you believe that your monies are already going to them, it makes you numb to troubled people). That is not even mentioning the fact that a huge percentage of those monies go to the administrators (gov't workers).

Jesus preached that we should help the poor...that is indisputable. Indeed. 10 fold, 30 fold, 100 fold. Your choice. Can you understand that, Ravi? It is up to you and your conviction. Why take that away?

how is that taken away if individually we choose to act in concert to help others?
Exactly. I'm not going to reread this necroed thread but I don't think anyone answer that question to my satisfaction. :)

Do you Donate to Charity? Do You Donate to Individuals in need? Do you donate time? That is Christian Foundation. Not only Christian, Charity is about Conscience, Anybody with a pulse should know that. Giving is about need, circumstance, and ability. What comes around, goes around. Providence, is between Each of us and our Maker, not each of us and Government. Government is lost in the woods here with an Identity crisis. Government is not God, nor can It transform Tyrannical Decree or Mandate into anything outside of it's true nature. Greed and Jealousy go hand in hand as vices. They are both sins, they both destroy Souls.

Any thoughts?

jesus also said give unto caesar that which is caesar's... seems like a lot of self-professed christians don't like doing that.

That Quote was the Foundation of Locke's Separation of Church and State. Birth of a Christian Principle. In that, remember that Our obligation to Our Maker takes Precedent over Our Obligation to State and Society. I guess Individual Liberty and Unalienable Rights do have weight.

Any thoughts?

Compare the countries where the citizens are predominantly Christian to any other country where the citizens are NOT predominantly Christian. Which country is more:
Productive
Generous
Modern
Inovative
Honorable
Cleanliness

Now compare the countries that are predominantly any other particular faith. How do those countries compare for:
Corruption
Tyrants
Lawlessness
Abuse of the poor
Abuse of the weak
Electrical power
Sewage removal
Clean water

Also, if you are so against Christians, why don't you start a community that does not welcome Christians. Do the ordinances and zoning to prohibit churches or "Bible study". Show us how great life can be without Christians.....

Ya, in "in god we trust" and "one nation under god", they must be talking about allah. :lol:

If it was the lower case "g", I could agree with you. It is not. Get over it, the people that founded this country were far wiser than you. Praise the Lord!

Compare the countries where the citizens are predominantly Christian to any other country where the citizens are NOT predominantly Christian. Which country is more:
Productive
Generous
Modern
Inovative
Honorable
Cleanliness

Now compare the countries that are predominantly any other particular faith. How do those countries compare for:
Corruption
Tyrants
Lawlessness
Abuse of the poor
Abuse of the weak
Electrical power
Sewage removal
Clean water

Also, if you are so against Christians, why don't you start a community that does not welcome Christians. Do the ordinances and zoning to prohibit churches or "Bible study". Show us how great life can be without Christians.....

check your meds; your paranoia is clearly out of control.

:cuckoo:

Any thoughts?

Maybe you knee jerk libs live in a different dimension than the rest of us. In case you haven't looked, the greatest Country on the face of the earth is structured to help the poor. Look around, The "poor live better in the United States than the so-called middle class in other countries in what we used to call the "free world". As a matter of fact we even support an estimated 12 million poor people who entered the Country illegally. Why don't you religious bigots peddle your hate speech in Libya or Egypt or some country under Sharia law and ask them what Mohammed would do?

Read Proverbs, it tells us not (that is NOT) to put your money in a common purse (that would be the gov't). That is not for gov't funding handouts, taxes are for "infrastructure" (roads, justice, law enforcement, border protection). Forcing people to "give" to take care of someone else's choice of "victim" is allowing you to ignore the needy around you (you can walk right by them or ignore them because you believe that your monies are already going to them, it makes you numb to troubled people). That is not even mentioning the fact that a huge percentage of those monies go to the administrators (gov't workers).

You are mistranslating, no biggie, regardless, Proverbs is the OT and not the subject of the thread.

Exactly. I'm not going to reread this necroed thread but I don't think anyone answer that question to my satisfaction. :)

Do you Donate to Charity? Do You Donate to Individuals in need? Do you donate time? That is Christian Foundation. Not only Christian, Charity is about Conscience, Anybody with a pulse should know that. Giving is about need, circumstance, and ability. What comes around, goes around. Providence, is between Each of us and our Maker, not each of us and Government. Government is lost in the woods here with an Identity crisis. Government is not God, nor can It transform Tyrannical Decree or Mandate into anything outside of it's true nature. Greed and Jealousy go hand in hand as vices. They are both sins, they both destroy Souls.
I think, honestly, that you are so anti-government that your mind is made up.

We can do all of it, Intense, and Jesus would probably smile.

Forum List

Back