CDZ Why would Elon Musk running Twitter be bad? Free speech is a good thing…Right? He will support free speech.

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
So…..why is Elon Musk running Twitter be a bad thing? If what he claims is true about what he will do……allow speech as long as it doesn’t break the law….and when in doubt, let the tweet post…..what is the problem?

Derek Hunter on his podcast played clips from various left wing pundits and anti-Trump conservatives saying that Musk owning Twitter will be bad…….one guy even said that to protect free speech you had have to moderate it……

Former Clinton labor Secretary Robert Reich is one of the people Derek Hunter pointed out……..

What is their issue with Elon Muse and free speech?

So…..why is Elon Musk running Twitter be a bad thing? If what he claims is true about what he will do……allow speech as long as it doesn’t break the law….and when in doubt, let the tweet post…..what is the problem?

He'll fire the current board and the current board doesn't want to give up their cushy paychecks. Otherwise, I suspect that he would turn it into a defacto subscription service with his "anybody who pays should get a blue verified badge".

I have no problem with him buying whatever he wants. Twitter blows - hopefully he'll just shut it down.

He'll fire the current board and the current board doesn't want to give up their cushy paychecks. Otherwise, I suspect that he would turn it into a defacto subscription service with his "anybody who pays should get a blue verified badge".

Yeah…..Derek Hunter played a “journalist,” her last name was Turr……….who led her news report by suggesting Musk might charge people for Twitter…..but then didn’t state any evidence , and didn’t even mention it again in the rest of the story…..Derek Hunter thinks this is a lie the democrats are going to push through their various groups to attack Musk….and you just parroted what they are pushing….without any evidence that hints that he will do this…..

Derek Hunter on his podcast played clips from various left wing pundits and anti-Trump conservatives saying that Musk owning Twitter will be bad…….one guy even said that to protect free speech you had have to moderate it……

Former Clinton labor Secretary Robert Reich is one of the people Derek Hunter pointed out……..

I am optimistic, but lately, my optimism has been sorely tested. I hope you're right.

Concentrated power in one man is always a cause for concern especially when their prime motivation seems to be political. Furthermore the attempt to buy Twitter knowing there will be a mass exit of users should be alarming for those who may have money invested in his companies. He would have to buy it for more than it's worth only to see the stock price plunge should the deal go through. Lastly he would personally own the user data for millions with no one to tell him he can't use it for nefarious purposes.

The same people who have no problem with Jeff Bezos owning the Washington post are all up in arms over Elon Musk owning twitter.

These authoritarians are worried there may be a tiny dent in the stranglehold they have on controlling the narrative.

Yes, Sir.

1650330057351.png

Lastly he would personally own the user data for millions with no one to tell him he can't use it for nefarious purposes.
Like the current board does? I'm pretty sure there are legal protections against actually doxing or otherwise intentionally harming folks.
It's very telling that the board has reacted as they have. They will fight him, even if it destroys the company and the value of the stock. THAT should be illegal. That board will show themselves to be willing to harm their investors for a political stance.

The lawsuits should be interesting. This might very well establish a baseline for defining free speech in social media. NO ONE, Left, Right, or Middle should be able to silence the voices of political opposition in the agora. There is NOTHING wrong with allowing dissenting voices. We already have laws that keep people from slandering or otherwise harming people with violent speech.

I have no problem with him buying whatever he wants. Twitter blows - hopefully he'll just shut it down.
I suspect that it will change, massively. He should create a speech policy that serves everyone equally and only bans those who would incite actual violence against others. By that, I mean anyone who ACTUALLY ADVOCATED VIOLENT ACTION against others.

Hurting someone's feelings is NOT violent speech.

Like the current board does? I'm pretty sure there are legal protections against actually doxing or otherwise intentionally harming folks.
It's very telling that the board has reacted as they have. They will fight him, even if it destroys the company and the value of the stock. THAT should be illegal. That board will show themselves to be willing to harm their investors for a political stance.

The lawsuits should be interesting. This might very well establish a baseline for defining free speech in social media. NO ONE, Left, Right, or Middle should be able to silence the voices of political opposition in the agora. There is NOTHING wrong with allowing dissenting voices. We already have laws that keep people from slandering or otherwise harming people with violent speech.
I don't care about Twitter at all. It could diappear tomorrow and I would barely notice. The machinations of Megarich assholes, stockholders and board members do not interest me.

One thing is clear though. They will never be able to force platforms to carry content they can be sued for.

He would probably want Trump unbanned, which is just terrible for the country.
That is a partisan political statement. It is in no way demonstrably accurate. What you are saying is that you want to suppress the speech of those who disagree with you. Trump sounds like a retard at times but he never actually incited violence. Your party's problem with him is that they and their media 5th column can't hope to defeat him and they know it. As for Twitter unbanning him, he should stay off any platform other than Truth Social, at least until it gets on its feet and is established.

When he Tweets, it should be with statements of fact and substance, not shoot from the lip kind of posts. He can reserve that for Truth Social. I'd like to see Musk buy Twitter and make it a true free speech platform, a modern Agora for all.

One thing is clear though. They will never be able to force platforms to carry content they can be sued for.
I agree, and I'd never advocate for anyone to have that power. If Twitter ended today it wouldn't affect my life in the slightest. It IS a strongly established platform that, in the right hands could serve the public interest. There would need to be very simple and transparent policies regarding speech that was illegal. The rules would need to be fairly applied across the board.

I agree, and I'd never advocate for anyone to have that power. If Twitter ended today it wouldn't affect my life in the slightest. It IS a strongly established platform that, in the right hands could serve the public interest. There would need to be very simple and transparent policies regarding speech that was illegal. The rules would need to be fairly applied across the board.
It's a business. No one has to use their service or like the way it's run. It does not even have to be fair. We got along fine for 250 years without needing such an ill-suited tool for political discourse. Whoever founded twitter had no problem with the old saying that truth walks while lies ride a rocket sled. If your politics require a rocket sled to work that should tell you something.

It'll be fun to watch in action.

Forum List

Back