Why would a man choose to be a OBGYN?

Because, after going through medical school he realizes that the field is very lucrative and he can compete in it. Or maybe he figures out that he's really good in the field. Or maybe he has a mother or sister who suffered from OBGYN related issues and he wants to help alleviate other womens' suffering.

There are lots of reasons a person might select a medical specialty. Frankly, the sordid reasons don't hold much water once you understand what someone has to do to become a doctor.

You have to wonder.....
/----/ I have studied figure drawing and painting since the 1970s. I have had so many nude models to work from in my life, I lost track decades ago. It doesn't take long for the novelty to wear off. In fact one nude model at the School of Visual Arts went on to become mega famous. I wish I had those sketches but they weren't very good back then. Seeing naked women in that setting becomes clinical. I imagine an OBGYN experiences the same.

You have to wonder.....

I thought I’d hate OB semester in school, I actually kind of liked it. It is pretty cool seeing the miracle of life take place and all the happy emotions. Compared to most of the medical field it’s quite a happier field to go into. I do have a heart for oncology, that’s what I went into, and I do like it, but it does weigh on you.

You have to wonder.....
One of my frat house brothers in college named Hugh went to med school. And upon leaving the frat home he declared his intention to become an OBGYN.

I guess he was so far up to his neck in puzzy already in college that he wanted to see it, smell it, and work on it 24/7/365.

You have to wonder.....

I thought I’d hate OB semester in school, I actually kind of liked it. It is pretty cool seeing the miracle of life take place and all the happy emotions. Compared to most of the medical field it’s quite a happier field to go into. I do have a heart for oncology, that’s what I went into, and I do like it, but it does weigh on you.
There are many miracles --

- miracle of sexual attraction

- miracle of coitus and orgasm

- miracle of sexual reproduction

- miracle of internal mammalian gestation

- miracle of birth

- miracle of breastfeeding and breastmilk

- miracle of growth and maturity

- miracle of ethical and nonethical social development

- miracle of philanthropy and/or crime

- miracle of crime and punishment

- miracle of aging and death

- miracle of decomposition and recycling

- miracle of the philosophical concept of the human (and animal) soul.

Aw geez. Now OBGYN are on the chopping block?
If I had gone into surgery, I would have wanted to do just general surgery. But these days everything is very specialized.

Trauma room surgery would be the most interesting to me. That's where you first stop the bleeding, then restart the heart, then restart the breathing, then clean and close all the wounds, then patch up the body, and finally visit the patient and monitor him/her/adult/child in the hospital.

Somehow for me that sounds like the most interesting and exciting.

All other surgery sounds boring and repetitive to me.

I could not work in any medical field. Maybe optometry! :biggrin:

You have to wonder.....
One of my frat house brothers in college named Hugh went to med school. And upon leaving the frat home he declared his intention to become an OBGYN.

I guess he was so far up to his neck in puzzy already in college that he wanted to see it, smell it, and work on it 24/7/365.

.... or maybe he felt he was now an expert ....

Because, after going through medical school he realizes that the field is very lucrative and he can compete in it. Or maybe he figures out that he's really good in the field. Or maybe he has a mother or sister who suffered from OBGYN related issues and he wants to help alleviate other womens' suffering.

There are lots of reasons a person might select a medical specialty. Frankly, the sordid reasons don't hold much water once you understand what someone has to do to become a doctor.

Actually, all good points.

I might add that there was a day not that long ago, only men were in the medical field, so, someone had to do it....

A fellow car nut acquaintance is an OB/GYN. The guy who introduced me to him said something like, "You'll like him; he's a good guy. Hey, he's into cars and (p-word), how bad can he be?"

Turns out not bad at all. He's a nice guy.

Forum List

Back