Why The Decline Of Unions Has Lowered Pay For All Workers

Unions recently tried to come in to our hospital and organize. They insulted us, bothered us to no end, and after almost a year of their nonsense, we sent them packing. Losers. My pay has not gone down at all. In fact I still get my raises twice a year just like before.

Good for you. Not everyone is so fortunate.

Funny...it always seems like it's the hard workers that end up fortunate.

Yeah, tell that to those working in sweat shops.

Please tell us who's importing cheap foreign labor into the U.S. and how it's supposedly impacting unions.

We let big corporations hire all these illegals and cheap foreign labor. They're greedy pieces of shit but all you here from herewegoagain is how wonderful they're.

Well Captain Jump To The Improper Conclusion you'd be wrong.
I say fine the shit out of companies that hire illegals.

Fine, but what does that have to do with labor unions? BTW, it's Republicans who have been waging a war on unions for decades - not Democrats.

Stop flooding the market with cheap foreign labor and wages will go up no matter what unions do.
Can you not comprehend that?

Here is some food for thought.

Non-union companies have an obvious profit motive for hiring cheap foreign labor, but with unionized companies - that profit motive is gone. In a unionized company, the labor rates are jointly negotiated between management and labor - and those rates are fixed regardless of who fills the jobs. Companies leaving the country in search of cheaper labor is another story. It's sad to think that labor rates will never improve until greedy companies have exhausted all cheap labor on the planet.

No thanks. I have no desire to fund democrats.
And besides,if you're any good at what you do,you dont need a union to go to bat for you,your work speaks for itself....as it should be.
Stop importing foreign labor that can easily undercut American wages and then go home and live large in mexico and you'll see wages increase.
They dont even spend the money they make here which of course is a drain on our economy and tax coffers.

Is Donald Trump against a federal minimum wage?

He doesn't even pay many of his workers and he hires illegals fucking American workers. No wonder the Republican Party loves him. They are masochists. They love it balls deep. They can't wait until he starts. They are panting with eagerness.

giphy.gif

We let big corporations hire all these illegals and cheap foreign labor. They're greedy pieces of shit but all you here from herewegoagain is how wonderful they're.

Fine, but what does that have to do with labor unions? BTW, it's Republicans who have been waging a war on unions for decades - not Democrats.

Stop flooding the market with cheap foreign labor and wages will go up no matter what unions do.

Non-union companies have an obvious profit motive for hiring cheap foreign labor, but with unionized companies - that profit motive is gone. In a unionized company, the labor rates are jointly negotiated between management and labor - and those rates are fixed regardless of who fills the jobs. Companies leaving the country in search of cheaper labor is another story. It's sad to think that labor rates will never improve until greedy companies have exhausted all cheap labor on the planet.

And besides,if you're any good at what you do,you dont need a union to go to bat for you,your work speaks for itself....as it should be.
Stop importing foreign labor that can easily undercut American wages and then go home and live large in mexico and you'll see wages increase.
They dont even spend the money they make here which of course is a drain on our economy and tax coffers.
So you want American workers to earn less than Mexicans. Got it.

There's a reason you're considered the biggest moron on this board....and you just cemented your position.

57c4dad9180000dd10bcdeda.jpeg

Where unions are strong, they raise standards across an industry, according to a new study.

The dramatic nationwide drop in private-sector union membership has lowered pay for non-union workers over the past four decades, a study released Tuesday argues.

The paper, published by the Economic Policy Institute, a liberal think tank that receives some of its funding from unions, provides new evidence for a longstanding truism among organized labor’s proponents: that in industries where union density is high, even non-union firms pay their workers more to meet the standards set by unions.

In the year of a presidential election characterized by populist discontent, the report’s findings are fresh ammunition for progressives who maintain that strengthening unions, rather than, say, closing our borders to immigrants, is the key to restoring broad wage growth and stemming income inequality.

“Many American workers can see those unions as either minor bit players in today’s economy or good for union members alone to the detriment of society at large,” said Jake Rosenfeld, a sociologist at Washington University in St. Louis who co-authored the study. “This is a study that says that’s wrong: unions are good for members and non-members alike.”

Non-union men have been hit harder than non-union women by the decline in unions, since they were more likely to belong to unions prior to the 1980s, according to the report. (The percentage of male private-sector workers in a union went from 34 percent in 1979 to 10 percent in 2013.)

If the private sector still had union membership rates at the 1979 level, American men in that sector without union representation would have earned $2,704 more in 2013, or a 5 percent increase.

For less educated men in the private sector, among whom union membership was more common in 1979 than men overall, the effect of the decline is even starker.

Non-union men without four-year college degrees would have made $3,016 more in 2013 ― an 8 percent increase ― under 1979 levels of union membership. And non-union men with a high school degree or less would have made $3,172 more in 2013 ― a 9 percent increase ― under this scenario.

By contrast, expanded trade with low-wage nations in recent decades is responsible for a 5 percent drop in the wages of non-college-educated workers, according to a figure cited in the paper.

The non-union women workers hit hardest by the decline of unions are also those with a high school degree or less. Non-union women with that education level would be earning $676 more in 2013 if the women’s private-sector union rate remained what it was in 1979.

There are several reasons the paper offers for why higher union membership rates would benefit workers not covered by those unions’ collective bargaining contracts. Chief among them is the fear non-union firms have that their workforce will be vulnerable to a union organizing drive if they’re paid significantly less than their unionized competitors. The non-union firms in heavily unionized industries and regions may also need to pay more to attract the workers with the best skills.

Currently, just 6.7 percent of all private-sector workers belong to unions, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics ― down from roughly one-third in the 1950s.

It is no wonder, the paper maintains, that pay has barely risen for workers across the economy since the 1970s, and actually gone down for workers with a high-school degree or less.

Rosenfeld, whose book What Unions No Longer Do documents the effects of organized labor’s falling fortunes, said the paper is intended as an indictment of the specific policies that have contributed to the decline of unions.

He blames the dwindling of union ranks in the private sector on the rise of intense employer opposition to unions and an outdated set of labor laws that leaves workers with too little leverage to counter these tactics.

It is a myth, Rosenfeld argues, that the decades-long wave of private-sector de-unionization is merely the result of a technology- and trade-induced drop in American manufacturing jobs.

“Union decline is not simply a story of outsourcing and automation,” Rosenfeld said. “If you look at industries like trucking and construction, you see unions getting killed in those industries and wages for non-union workers going down as well.”

Charts & More: Why The Decline Of Unions Has Lowered Pay For All Workers

As someone who has worked on both sides - I strongly believe in a reasonable balance between management and labor - and unions help provide that reasonable balance. A rising tide lifts all boats.

:clap2:

Unions recently tried to come in to our hospital and organize. They insulted us, bothered us to no end, and after almost a year of their nonsense, we sent them packing. Losers. My pay has not gone down at all. In fact I still get my raises twice a year just like before.

I know right, sometimes the union organizers are successful.

You really don't have a clue about this thread. You just make nonsensical noise. It's mostly the party you support who is flooding America with cheap foreign labor - and busting unions along the way.

You really don't have a clue about this thread. You just make nonsensical noise. It's mostly the party you support who is flooding America with cheap foreign labor - and busting unions along the way.

Again...Fuck Unions,they are nothing more than a slush fund for democrats.

Funny. Gee, I bet you wouldn't mind if unions were supporting Republicans instead of Democrats. Why do you suppose unions support Democrats instead of Republicans? Hint: Which party is trying to destroy unions?

Last edited:

Funny. Gee, I bet you wouldn't mind if unions were supporting Republicans instead of Democrats. Why do you suppose unions support Democrats instead of Republicans. Hint: Which party is trying to destroy unions?

You on the fire water again? Or is it Peyote this time?

Funny. Gee, I bet you wouldn't mind if unions were supporting Republicans instead of Democrats. Why do you suppose unions support Democrats instead of Republicans. Hint: Which party is trying to destroy unions?

Gee, I'm sorry the question was too difficult for you - even after I gave you the answer.

Gee, I'm sorry the question was too difficult for you - even after I gave you the answer.

I've given you my answer multiple times.

There's a reason you're considered the biggest moron on this board....and you just cemented your position.
Look at what you just wrote:

See how stupid? Try to figure out why. If you can't figure it out, ask and I will explain.

Look at what you just wrote:

See how stupid? Try to figure out why. If you can't figure it out, ask and I will explain.

So you dont believe that happens?

I was a union worker before I retired and started a new workplace, UAW, The Ford Motor Company.

Unions are NOT the problem, nor are they the solution! When I was at Ford, the wages were dropped for incoming workers by almost 40%. Benefits were dropped dramatically for incoming workers also, and the amount of time it took to acquire them.

REASON? Answer------------->Ford could NOT compete any longer with imported vehicles, assembly plants here who were not unionized, and deal with the regulations to build vehicles here for export. Progressives want to point and say "see, they took it out on labor." Well then, you tell me what they could cut! Cost of commodities? Short change the consumer on content? Stop research and development so they would be selling 2005 vehicles today to the public, badged as 2016! Or maybe, take less profit. They were already losing BILLIONS, so how do you cut into profit?

Isn't it absolutely amazing that lefties would have everyone believe that unions are the salvation, and yet the most unionized industry in this country; automakers, had 2 of the big 3 file bankruptcy, and Ford stood alone taking out a multi billion dollar loan to survive, while all the non union automakers snickered and went along their merry way. How many lefties here purchased a new American car to SUPPORT unions in 2007, or 08, or even now?

And just as an aside, how many of you people own an I-phone, or a Galaxy, etc! None of them built here, but boy I see all of you in sandals strung around Apple or other store when they go on sale, lol. (in other words, phony baloneys)

Point of this is-------------> you can't artificially raise wages because it doesn't work that way. Labor is just another commodity. The more labor there is, the less it costs. Make a shortage of labor, and magically wages go up!

And so I ask Lacootie, and the rest of the lefties this------------> I make Lacootie President for a year, and his/her job is to create policies that cause pressure on the labor market so wages begin to rise. So Lacootie says to me----------->No problem Whosure, just tell me how many unemployed I have to soak up, and once I get that number waaaaaaaay down, walla, wages begin rise. Lacottie looks at his her leftie friends, and proclaims that, "this is easy!"

So I tell him/her, 35 million jobs ought to do it, with the number going up 1.5 million a year because of population growth. Do this Lacootie, and you will reach your goal!

And then, he/she sets out on his/her mission, and whether it is through government spending, or tax cuts, liberal, republican, or libertarian policies, he/she pulls it off, and creates 25 million jobs in two years, plus another 3 million to boot and is right on schedule. Problem is, wages don't rise, welfare roles don't come down, government is still losing money big time.

Lacootie comes to me and wants to cut my gonads off! "You lied to me" he/she screams. "I created the jobs required, and we are all still screwed!"

Do you know why? ANSWER-----------> I gave him/her a correct number for the residents of the United States, and its growth and need for jobs. He/she decided not to close the border, and for almost every job created, someone crossed over, either taking the job, or enlarging the welfare roles. He/she unknowingly, actually had been trying to create jobs not for the United States, but for almost 3/4s of the American continent, and that is a very tall order when you only have 1/4 of the continents resources to work with, and in all honesty, it is against far left rules to use resources........global warming ya know.

And who can blame these people!?!?! You can't! If a job is here, why not come and take it if they can! It is not their fault, it is the governments fault for not enforcing the laws. In essence, Lacootie, is Obama, is Hillary. What they have done, is throw Americans under the bus for political expediency. Americans will lose their jobs to cheaper labor, and those that work will pay for government programs and schools for people who just sashay across the border. Not to mention, without the tightening of labor, wages will not rise!

It is what it is, and it is the lefts position, period. As long as you do blue collar work, expect your wages to stagnate.

I can't agree with you that we don't need unions. Maybe the unions go too far, but without them, a lot more people would be working for "slave wages" here. Greed has to have some brakes applied. But union members could be greedy too, and for a while, they had manufacturers over a barrel.
Everyone wants to get as much $$$$ as they can, and it always ends up ruining it for everyone in the end.

I was a union worker before I retired and started a new workplace, UAW, The Ford Motor Company.

Unions are NOT the problem, nor are they the solution! When I was at Ford, the wages were dropped for incoming workers by almost 40%. Benefits were dropped dramatically for incoming workers also, and the amount of time it took to acquire them.

REASON? Answer------------->Ford could NOT compete any longer with imported vehicles, assembly plants here who were not unionized, and deal with the regulations to build vehicles here for export. Progressives want to point and say "see, they took it out on labor." Well then, you tell me what they could cut! Cost of commodities? Short change the consumer on content? Stop research and development so they would be selling 2005 vehicles today to the public, badged as 2016! Or maybe, take less profit. They were already losing BILLIONS, so how do you cut into profit?

Isn't it absolutely amazing that lefties would have everyone believe that unions are the salvation, and yet the most unionized industry in this country; automakers, had 2 of the big 3 file bankruptcy, and Ford stood alone taking out a multi billion dollar loan to survive, while all the non union automakers snickered and went along their merry way. How many lefties here purchased a new American car to SUPPORT unions in 2007, or 08, or even now?

And just as an aside, how many of you people own an I-phone, or a Galaxy, etc! None of them built here, but boy I see all of you in sandals strung around Apple or other store when they go on sale, lol. (in other words, phony baloneys)

Point of this is-------------> you can't artificially raise wages because it doesn't work that way. Labor is just another commodity. The more labor there is, the less it costs. Make a shortage of labor, and magically wages go up!

And so I ask Lacootie, and the rest of the lefties this------------> I make Lacootie President for a year, and his/her job is to create policies that cause pressure on the labor market so wages begin to rise. So Lacootie says to me----------->No problem Whosure, just tell me how many unemployed I have to soak up, and once I get that number waaaaaaaay down, walla, wages begin rise. Lacottie looks at his her leftie friends, and proclaims that, "this is easy!"

So I tell him/her, 35 million jobs ought to do it, with the number going up 1.5 million a year because of population growth. Do this Lacootie, and you will reach your goal!

And then, he/she sets out on his/her mission, and whether it is through government spending, or tax cuts, liberal, republican, or libertarian policies, he/she pulls it off, and creates 25 million jobs in two years, plus another 3 million to boot and is right on schedule. Problem is, wages don't rise, welfare roles don't come down, government is still losing money big time.

Lacootie comes to me and wants to cut my gonads off! "You lied to me" he/she screams. "I created the jobs required, and we are all still screwed!"

Do you know why? ANSWER-----------> I gave him/her a correct number for the residents of the United States, and its growth and need for jobs. He/she decided not to close the border, and for almost every job created, someone crossed over, either taking the job, or enlarging the welfare roles. He/she unknowingly, actually had been trying to create jobs not for the United States, but for almost 3/4s of the American continent, and that is a very tall order when you only have 1/4 of the continents resources to work with, and in all honesty, it is against far left rules to use resources........global warming ya know.

And who can blame these people!?!?! You can't! If a job is here, why not come and take it if they can! It is not their fault, it is the governments fault for not enforcing the laws. In essence, Lacootie, is Obama, is Hillary. What they have done, is throw Americans under the bus for political expediency. Americans will lose their jobs to cheaper labor, and those that work will pay for government programs and schools for people who just sashay across the border. Not to mention, without the tightening of labor, wages will not rise!

It is what it is, and it is the lefts position, period. As long as you do blue collar work, expect your wages to stagnate.

I'm glad someone else is willing to type that much for shitting bull,personally I've grown weary of repeating the same old shit over and over.

I can't agree with you that we don't need unions. Maybe the unions go too far, but without them, a lot more people would be working for "slave wages" here. Greed has to have some brakes applied. But union members could be greedy too, and for a while, they had manufacturers over a barrel.
Everyone wants to get as much $$$$ as they can, and it always ends up ruining it for everyone in the end.

There was a time when unions served a purpose.
They outlived their usefulness once they became so imbedded in the democrat party.
Not to mention their less than stellar past.

Forum List

Back