Why tenure is so important — yet rare — for Black professors

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
I guess in order to address an issue you have to first be aware of it.

“It’s very disheartening when we work hard and do all we’re supposed to do and don’t get​
July 18, 2021, 3:30 AM PDT / Updated July 18, 2021, 3:30 AM PDT​
By Curtis Bunn​
In the three years between leaving NASA as a research meteorologist to landing at the University of Georgia’s atmospheric sciences program, James Marshall Shepherd ascended the academic ladder there, further solidifying his authority in the field of weather and climate change. In that short period of time he was even granted tenure.​
This quick ascension is unique among academics at any college, but particularly rare for a Black professor at a predominately white institution. But the depth of Shepherd’s accomplishments made his ascension to the professorial pinnacle undeniable.​
“The University of Georgia has been very gracious and even stepped up to ensure I know they appreciate what I have brought to the school,” said Shepherd, who joined the university in 2006. “At the same time, I know that historically it hasn’t been the same experience for other Black professors at other predominantly white schools.”​
The goal of obtaining tenure for Black professors has thrust into the spotlight by two high-profile confrontations that played out in public. First, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Nikole Hannah-Jones passed on tenure at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill — after it was offered, rescinded and offered again — and instead accepted a position at Howard University, one of America’s renowned historically Black colleges.​

1626645624789.png

How about we just get rid of tenure, especially in public schools and colleges, and make it so everyone is equal and they have equity?

Isn't that the modern progressive liberal democratic fascist way?

We can always lower the standards to be a teacher if we have to fire them.

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

I don't know anything about the other professor referenced, by Cornell West had tenure at Harvard and gave it up when he quit to go to work elsewhere so expecting it to be handed to him on a silver platter after he returned given his tendency to move around may be unrealistic. I mean how many times can an employee quit before you start to question their loyalty?

Very interesting piece.

I wish I could comment on it intelligently. . . but I have never done graduate work, nor do I know any black students that have taught, or tried to get tenure.

I have heard of similar gripes from white professors, many, many times.

Academia is . . . well, a very, very political environment. It has its' rules like any other cloistered In-Group, and I have had lots of friend that taught at this level, and then left disgusted at the prospect of making a career in that field.

Some of the stuff that goes on there? I have heard is beyond the pale, and in the end, has not a lot to do with race.

You put in your time, play the game, and suffer the fools, and get the prize. . . or so I hear. but? You have to play the game. . . which is to say, the favoritism/corruption game, which was basically put in place before the US was ever even a nation.

The academic system goes back to, I don't know, the middle ages?

This is why a lot of folks don't trust some Scientific Topics that are tied into powerful global politics. . . THEY KNOW HOW THIS GAME IS PLAYED.
In the end, race has not a lot to do with it, unless folks from a certain ethnicity tend to have more integrity b/c of their sub-cultural experiences? :dunno:

..most of them don't even rate to be teachers/etc.....they get it through affirmative action/etc......they are usually not engineers/etc, but African history teachers --HAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Forum List

Back