Why Jesus Cried "My God, My God, Why Have You Forsaken Me"

Leftists don't need Jesus; they have the party.
and the party always supplies tons of booze

I think the Democrat party is a lot more holier than republicans.
People on the left, seem to be 'the Sheep' in the sheep and the goats parable in the Bible, also known as the last judgement, or Judgement of Nations.....

Christ separated the people within all Nations for the judgement, the sheep put on His right, the goats put on his left....

to make a long story short, the goats always proclaimed to know Jesus as Savior and Lord....yet when Jesus confronts them on them helping Jesus when He was in need they said , When did we not help you Lord?

Jesus basically said, When you didn't feed the hungry, help the poor, welcome the stranger, or care for those in prison etc... whatever you didn't do for the least of them, You did this to me! He cast them to eternal punishment.

He confronts the other group who fed the hungry, helped the poor, visited those in prison, and welcomed the Stranger ... on how well they treated Him,

This group of people ask Christ, When did we do those things for you?

and He said, however you treated those people, you did unto Me!

This other separated group in the parable, didn't even know they were doing good things for and to Jesus Christ,

...basically, they didn't know...they were followers of Christ....they were just doing what they felt was right and humane....

and Christ rewarded those who thought they didnt know Him, with everlasting life....!

-----------

Bottom line, yes many on the left, who may not even know they are following Christ and His teachings are the ones who are rewarded by Christ on judgement day.

And some of those who proclaimed they knew Christ, or accepted Him as Lord and Savior...

Were ALL TALK, with no actions....

If they don't know they are following Christ they've never accepted Him as their Savior, if they've never accepted Him as Savior they don't go Heaven, sorry.

Faith without works, is dead.

------
Christ indicates throughout the Gospels........that others, who are not known followers of Christ and part of His sect are judged and saved through The Law....

The Good Samaritan parable

The Sheep and the Goats parable

And many other bible passages that explains that others can be 'saved ' as well....

all go through Christ and His judgement... Basically, they can not get to Heaven, but through Him.....

Basically some are saved through Grace and their acceptance and belief in Him dying as a sacrifice for their sins...these people have Faith, and good works.

While others who don't know they believe in Christ, yet follow Christ's teachings and the Law, can also be saved...

Romans 2:12-16 12All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. 13For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous.

14(Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.)

16This will take place on the day when God judges people's secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

Works without Faith does not get you to Heaven, take it up with God.

"Basically some are saved through Grace and their acceptance and belief in Him dying as a sacrifice for their sins...these people have Faith, and good works."

Faith cannot be removed from the saving process.
works can't be removed either....

Faith, without works, is dead.

In other words, you don't really have faith if you show no signs of good works...

It's FAKE FAITH, not true faith....

Yes, we are all sinners, yes we all fall short of the glory of God... Yes, we will continue to have sins...but those with true faith, are so overwhelmed by their own remorse, and overwhelmed with joy for Christ's mercy and for Him dying for their sins, their rejoice leads them to repent and show good works, simply out of thankfulness, for their given forgiveness! Not because it is required, but because they believe in Him and His salvation through Him, passed to them....

is my understanding of it.
And yet you forget what Paul wrote in Ephesians 2:8-9 that Salvation is a gift
Not to be worked for nor earned. That is God's grace. John 1:12 puts away the idea of"universal" salvation.
It is God's grace and mercy on us....that saves us.

The good works are not there to save us, faith in Jesus's sacrifice that saves us.... Good works simply naturally follow true faith and belief in Christ-Jesus...is what I believe the passage, Faith without works is dead, means.

People on the left, seem to be 'the Sheep' in the sheep and the goats parable in the Bible, also known as the last judgement, or Judgement of Nations.....

Christ separated the people within all Nations for the judgement, the sheep put on His right, the goats put on his left....

to make a long story short, the goats always proclaimed to know Jesus as Savior and Lord....yet when Jesus confronts them on them helping Jesus when He was in need they said , When did we not help you Lord?

Jesus basically said, When you didn't feed the hungry, help the poor, welcome the stranger, or care for those in prison etc... whatever you didn't do for the least of them, You did this to me! He cast them to eternal punishment.

He confronts the other group who fed the hungry, helped the poor, visited those in prison, and welcomed the Stranger ... on how well they treated Him,

This other separated group in the parable, didn't even know they were doing good things for and to Jesus Christ,

...basically, they didn't know...they were followers of Christ....they were just doing what they felt was right and humane....

and Christ rewarded those who thought they didnt know Him, with everlasting life....!

-----------

Bottom line, yes many on the left, who may not even know they are following Christ and His teachings are the ones who are rewarded by Christ on judgement day.

And some of those who proclaimed they knew Christ, or accepted Him as Lord and Savior...

If they don't know they are following Christ they've never accepted Him as their Savior, if they've never accepted Him as Savior they don't go Heaven, sorry.

Faith without works, is dead.

------
Christ indicates throughout the Gospels........that others, who are not known followers of Christ and part of His sect are judged and saved through The Law....

The Good Samaritan parable

The Sheep and the Goats parable

And many other bible passages that explains that others can be 'saved ' as well....

all go through Christ and His judgement... Basically, they can not get to Heaven, but through Him.....

Basically some are saved through Grace and their acceptance and belief in Him dying as a sacrifice for their sins...these people have Faith, and good works.

While others who don't know they believe in Christ, yet follow Christ's teachings and the Law, can also be saved...

Romans 2:12-16 12All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. 13For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous.

14(Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.)

16This will take place on the day when God judges people's secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

Works without Faith does not get you to Heaven, take it up with God.

"Basically some are saved through Grace and their acceptance and belief in Him dying as a sacrifice for their sins...these people have Faith, and good works."

Faith cannot be removed from the saving process.
works can't be removed either....

Faith, without works, is dead.

In other words, you don't really have faith if you show no signs of good works...

It's FAKE FAITH, not true faith....

Yes, we are all sinners, yes we all fall short of the glory of God... Yes, we will continue to have sins...but those with true faith, are so overwhelmed by their own remorse, and overwhelmed with joy for Christ's mercy and for Him dying for their sins, their rejoice leads them to repent and show good works, simply out of thankfulness, for their given forgiveness! Not because it is required, but because they believe in Him and His salvation through Him, passed to them....

is my understanding of it.
And yet you forget what Paul wrote in Ephesians 2:8-9 that Salvation is a gift
Not to be worked for nor earned. That is God's grace. John 1:12 puts away the idea of"universal" salvation.
It is God's grace and mercy on us....that saves us.

The good works are not there to save us, faith in Jesus's sacrifice that saves us.... Good works simply naturally follow true faith and belief in Christ-Jesus...is what I believe the passage, Faith without works is dead, means.
The idea is to bring others to the Cross. Our "works" provide the testimony and witness to the Gospel. We cannot earn salvation, and not everyone will be saved.

Wow.....

Matthew 7:1
who am I judging? Christ is judging in this parable of the Sheep and the Goats....

I'm simply trying to understand what He is trying to teach us, what lesson is he giving here? Why is it in the Bible at all?

Please, read the passage/parable.... it's red letter, Christ's words... not an apostle or deciple 's words.

In this scripture, Christ seems to be warning us that you can't fool Him.

the goats who claimed to be followers of the Lord,
the Lord showed them, that they were not.

the Sheep who did not know they were followers of the Lord, were actually following the Good Lord's teachings, they were filled with the Spirit of the Lord, even though, they did not know it... is what this parable is saying....in my opinion.

What does the parable mean to you? I've got opened ears...

Wow.....

who am I judging? Christ is judging in this parable of the Sheep and the Goats....

I'm simply trying to understand what He is trying to teach us, what lesson is he giving here? Why is it in the Bible at all?

Please, read the passage/parable.... it's red letter, Christ's words... not an apostle or deciple 's words.

the Sheep who did not know they were followers of the Lord, were actually following the Good Lord's teachings, they were filled with the Spirit of the Lord, even though, they did not know it... is what this parable is saying....in my opinion.

1. You put the people on the left in the cateogory of the sheep (on the right hand...the good place).

2. While I don't take offence, there is the implication that the right will wind up in the left hand.

So in 1 you were overtly judging (seem to be). 2 is an implication that may or may not have been your intent.

The qualifications for sheephood or goathood are found in his responses to them as they ask the questions......

When saw we thee sick and comforted thee.....

When saw we thee naked and clothed thee.....

When saw we thee in prison and visited thee.....

This parable along with the parable of the talents and the parable of the ten virgins all speak to the judgement and partioning of people with judgement. In order to gain acceptance, there is something required on our parts (oil filled lamps....put talents to use.....visit/clothe/feed).

All very telling.

What is your take on the parable of the prodigal son ?

Wow.....

1. You put the people on the left in the cateogory of the sheep (on the right hand...the good place).

2. While I don't take offence, there is the implication that the right will wind up in the left hand.

So in 1 you were overtly judging (seem to be). 2 is an implication that may or may not have been your intent.

The qualifications for sheephood or goathood are found in his responses to them as they ask the questions......

This parable along with the parable of the talents and the parable of the ten virgins all speak to the judgement and partioning of people with judgement. In order to gain acceptance, there is something required on our parts (oil filled lamps....put talents to use.....visit/clothe/feed).

All very telling.

Great passage.... My first answer would be, I don't completely know yet....God has not given me, any particular insight on it, but I have faith... That he will, in His time...

Two sons, one...the elder son is obedient, the other is wild or wanting to sow their wild oats...

The father gives the younger his inheritance due, and the younger son leaves, sows his oats, and finds it is not as fulfilling as he had thought it would be, and comes back to his family and home.

The elder, stays behind and does his required hard work and duties day in and day out.

the father sees the younger down the road, returning home...

Father is overjoyed and calls to slaughter an animal so there could be a feast in celebration of his younger son's return home.

Big brother is sort of jealous and complains he's the one who has been busting his butt, and never strayed, yet dad is giving the younger a big feast?

father shuts the complaint down by saying, what are you worrying and complaining about, you are still going to get the inheritance you deserve as the elder son, your brother has used up his.....

That's all I can remember of the prodigal son parable...

_-----------------------------------------

What does it all mean? What is the lesson???

My first thought is how the Father showed complete forgiveness for his younger son...no matter how wild and sinful he strayed, his father... as with Jesus, it was all about forgiveness of sins...love. His father was overjoyed that his younger son was finally done with sowing his oats, and decided to return home... His father chose not to punish the younger son for repenting, and returning back to a Godly life... he celebrated it....sins forgiven...

The elder son...had his head in the wrong place...was not forgiving of the younger brother who left him responsible not only for his own daily workload, but having to take care of some of his brother's workload too....

on this part, it's the second mentioning of something like this.... I remember another passage with Martha and Mary....sisters of Lazarus I believe?... One sister was a fo!lower of Christ...as in a groupie and just loved listening to Jesus speak...think that was Mary....

On one occasion a group of followers of Jesus were celebrating or something like this at Martha and Mary's home and Mary was just listen to Christ teach, while Martha was alone slaving in the kitchen....

When she came out to serve everyone she was bitching and moaning to Jesus that it wasn't fair that she was working her butt off cooking, while Mary was able to sit on her rear end....

And Jesus basically told her there is no place for jealousy, each person has their own purpose...Martha's was in the kitchen so to feed them all, and Mary's was to learn the Gospel, and spread His word...

We may not understand the purpose of why all things work for the Good in the end, but God does...

Sooooo, twice Jesus shuts down those siblings carrying resentment... who think they are working hard or harder than someone else is... perhaps for the Lord's praise kind of thing, or maybe even for salvation, is the silent lesson...And think they deserve praise or more rewards than another person they see as less worthy....? (Don't be Holier than thou??)

And Jesus is saying, He loves us all equally, even those who have strayed or don't work hard at it? Afterall, He did say, He came for the sinners, not the righteous?

Sorry this was so long... :( was just talking it through out loud, via fingers.

Wow.....

All very telling.

Great passage.... My first answer would be, I don't completely know yet....God has not given me, any particular insight on it, but I have faith... That he will, in His time...

Two sons, one...the elder son is obedient, the other is wild or wanting to sow their wild oats...

The father gives the younger his inheritance due, and the younger son leaves, sows his oats, and finds it is not as fulfilling as he had thought it would be, and comes back to his family and home.

The elder, stays behind and does his required hard work and duties day in and day out.

Father is overjoyed and calls to slaughter an animal so there could be a feast in celebration of his younger son's return home.

Big brother is sort of jealous and complains he's the one who has been busting his butt, and never strayed, yet dad is giving the younger a big feast?

father shuts the complaint down by saying, what are you worrying and complaining about, you are still going to get the inheritance you deserve as the elder son, your brother has used up his.....

My first thought is how the Father showed complete forgiveness for his younger son...no matter how wild and sinful he strayed, his father... as with Jesus, it was all about forgiveness of sins...love. His father was overjoyed that his younger son was finally done with sowing his oats, and decided to return home... His father chose not to punish the younger son for repenting, and returning back to a Godly life... he celebrated it....sins forgiven...

The elder son...had his head in the wrong place...was not forgiving of the younger brother who left him responsible not only for his own daily workload, but having to take care of some of his brother's workload too....

on this part, it's the second mentioning of something like this.... I remember another passage with Martha and Mary....sisters of Lazarus I believe?... One sister was a fo!lower of Christ...as in a groupie and just loved listening to Jesus speak...think that was Mary....

On one occasion a group of followers of Jesus were celebrating or something like this hat at Martha and Mary's home and Mary was just listen to Christ teach, while Martha was alone slaving in the kitchen....

When she came out to serve everyone she was bitching and moaning to Jesus that it wasn't fair that she was working her butt off cooking, while Mary was able to sit on her rear end....

And Jesus basically told her there is no place for jealousy, each person has their own purpose...Martha's was in the kitchen so to feed them all, and Mary's was to learn the Gospel, and spread His word...

We may not understand the purpose of why all things work for the Good in the end, but God does...

Sooooo, twice Jesus shuts down those siblings carrying resentment... who think they are working hard or harder than someone else is... perhaps for the Lord's praise kind of thing, or maybe even for salvation, is the silent lesson...And think they deserve praise or more rewards than another person they see as less worthy....? (Don't be Holier than thou??)

And Jesus is saying, He loves us all equally, even those who have strayed or don't work hard at it? Afterall, He did say, He came for the sinners, not the righteous?

29 And he answering said to his father, Lo, these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends:

30 But as soon as this thy son was come, which hath devoured thy living with harlots, thou hast killed for him the fatted calf.

31 And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine.

32 It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.

Many people think this means the two sons were on equal footing.

That was not the case.

The Father was grateful for the return of his prodigal, but his statement to his eldest is that "all that I have is thine" is telling.

The prodigal will have some place with his father. But not the glory that will be enjoyed by the faithful son.

In my world we don't teach just heaven and hell. We teach a lot in-between (which we also refer to has heaven...but not all heavens are the same).

In the parable of the talents (also in Matthew 25), each of the servants is rewarded differently. The last one, being unprofitable, is cast into outer darkness.

Wow.....

All very telling.

On one occasion a group of followers of Jesus were celebrating or something like this at Martha and Mary's home and Mary was just listen to Christ teach, while Martha was alone slaving in the kitchen....

Point being, payment of the sin is still required. Since mankind is totally incapable of fulfilling that, Jesus came to fulfill it on our behalf. Our part is to simply trust Him with our lives.

Wow.....

All very telling.

Point being, payment of the sin is still required. Since mankind is totally incapable of fulfilling that, Jesus came to fulfill it on our behalf. Our part is to simply trust Him with our lives.

It is certainly true that without Christ we are lost.

However, we all grow and progress (again...because of Christ) differently.

Wow.....

All very telling.

It is certainly true that without Christ we are lost.

However, we all grow and progress (again...because of Christ) differently.
Wouldn't have it any other way.

Wow.....

All very telling.

On one occasion a group of followers of Jesus were celebrating or something like this hat at Martha and Mary's home and Mary was just listen to Christ teach, while Martha was alone slaving in the kitchen....

29 And he answering said to his father, Lo, these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends:

30 But as soon as this thy son was come, which hath devoured thy living with harlots, thou hast killed for him the fatted calf.

31 And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine.

32 It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.

That was not the case.

The Father was grateful for the return of his prodigal, but his statement to his eldest is that "all that I have is thine" is telling.

The prodigal will have some place with his father. But not the glory that will be enjoyed by the faithful son.

In my world we don't teach just heaven and hell. We teach a lot in-between (which we also refer to has heaven...but not all heavens are the same).

In the parable of the talents (also in Matthew 25), each of the servants is rewarded differently. The last one, being unprofitable, is cast into outer darkness.
Yes, however... In the beginning of the parable, does it not mention that he gave his younger son, his inheritance due before he left and the younger squandered it while sowing oats?

again, still haven't yet refreshed my memory of the whole passage yet.....(I'm on my kindle, in the kitchen fixing Easter Sunday dinner, while posting here as well!) I'm semi multi talented! :)

If memory serves, perhaps from reading another minister's explanation of what the times were like, when the parable was given...?

... The elder son always received the father's inheritance....the business, the farm, the land owned etc, and the secondary sons received some money....as their inheritance..

If that is the case.... I'm not certain if it is totally about ones rewards in Heaven, or as you believe a level of Heaven????? :dunno:

if near everything going to the eldest, because this was simply probate protocol at the time..... The eldest is not being rewarded with anything more than was due to him, under the law or norm of the time... good, bad or ugly, the eldest was inheriting his father's estate, no?

there has to be more to this, than what you're saying???

AND, what do you mean by levels of Heaven? Like 7 levels, like the term 7th heaven??? Or heaven on earth, like it is just one level of many levels???

I'm self taught, just felt a very strong urge to pick up the Student Bible my boyfriend gave me when I was in my mid 20s, my boyfriend is now my husband for 31years....it took me a while, a few years...before I picked the Bible up, and began reading it... I was raised Christian but walked away, for almost a decade...

So, I am a layman...I don't really know much about doctrine I should believe or should not believe of any one church or denomination... Like levels of Heaven, or once saved... always saved, or Communion is the actual body of Christ vs a representation, or when is the proper time for Baptism ....what age should it be done, or a gazillion other doctrines that differ between denominations...

What is many levels of heaven, about?

Perhaps Jesus was simply recalling Psalms 22 which begins with :

1 My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?

but ends with the reassurance that God never forsakes his followers.

see Never Forsaken

-----------

thats for god to decide, not you...judge not lest you be judged dear

Jesus' cry of dereliction on the Cross was not a call for people to read the Psalms. If that's how people communicated in the New Testament, then every New Testament figure should have quoted scripture rather than say anything original.

Jesus died at that moment; he lost his connection to the Father then. He didn't cry Father, Father, why hast thou forsaken me? He cried My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

-----------

I think it's arrogant to think we know who is saved, when God and Jesus gave plenty of examples where those who have not accepted Christ as Savior, are saved by Christ regardless....

Jews and Gentiles can be saved through the Law...

And the examp!e I gave, shows that people who followed Christ's teachings were ALSO saved, without even knowing it....God seared right from wrong, in to their hearts...

The bold part, verse 14, 15, 16....Romans2

5But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God’s wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed. 6God “will repay each person according to what they have done.” 7To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and (not)immortality, he will give eternal life.

8But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger. 9There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile; 10but glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 11For God does not show favoritism.

12All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. 13For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous.

This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

Wow.....

All very telling.

That was not the case.

Yes, however... In the beginning of the parable, does it not mention that he gave his younger son, his inheritance due before he left and the younger squandered it while sowing oats?

again, still haven't yet refreshed my memory of the whole passage yet.....(I'm on my kindle, in the kitchen fixing Easter Sunday dinner, while posting here as well!) I'm semi multi talented! :)

If memory serves, perhaps from reading another minister's explanation of what the times were like, when the parable was given...?

... The elder son always received the father's inheritance....the business, the farm, the land owned etc, and the secondary sons received some money....as their inheritance..

If that is the case.... I'm not certain if it is totally about ones rewards in Heaven, or as you believe a level of Heaven????? :dunno:

if near everything going to the eldest, because this was simply probate protocol at the time..... The eldest is not being rewarded with anything more than was due to him, under the law or norm of the time... good, bad or ugly, the eldest was inheriting his father's estate, no?

AND, what do you mean by levels of Heaven? Like 7 levels, like the term 7th heaven??? Or heaven on earth, like it is just one level of many levels???

I'm self taught, just felt a very strong urge to pick up the Student Bible my boyfriend gave me when I was in my mid 20s, my boyfriend is now my husband for 31years....it took me a while, a few years...before I picked the Bible up, and began reading it... I was raised Christian but walked away, for almost a decade...

So, I am a layman...I don't really know much about doctrine I should believe or should not believe of any one church or denomination... Like levels of Heaven, or once saved... always saved, or Communion is the actual body of Christ vs a representation, or when is the proper time for Baptism ....what age should it be done, or a gazillion other doctrines that differ between denominations...

Yes. That was the case. The son chose to take it and leave. He spent it in riotous living and soon was feeding pigs just to survive.

Hope it was a good one !!!

I've not heard that before, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. Regardless, the son took what was going to come him and squandered it away. The remainder was the eldest son's. The father was not going to carve out a second inheritance and give it to the youngest.

I've already quoted the parable of the talents where the master rewards each servant differently.

And you quoted Romans 2:6 which states: Who will render to every man according to his deeds:

And so we see that rewards (heaven) are no common to man. Each person will receive a according to their faithfulness.

And while that is true, this parable is mainly about the return of someone who left and suffered. This parable is grouped with the parable of the lost sheep and the parable of the lost coin.

It is a message that says, even though you turn your back on God, he won't turn his back on you. He loves all his children and wants the best for them.

But, you can't violate laws and expect to be at the same place as those who don't. And this isn't just about keeping commandments. It is about taking on the stature of Christ. Which happens as you keep the commandments and exercise faith.

I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons). Part of our doctrine is the concept of multiple kingdoms of glory. It is a generous doctrine in that we believe Christ's Atonement reaches so far that it provides even those who don't accept him a place of glory where they will enjoy a level of happiness. Those who are more faithful will be provided a place where they are a little closer to God in the eternities.

As it relates to the prodigal son, we expect that those who violate laws will not qualify for the same level of salvation as those who remained faithful.

May be HE said that because for and instant of a second, the spiritual pain was terrible, intense and unbearable and that's what he thought....but of course immediately after HE knew that was not the case at all...and it was all the contrary.
If Jesus was wrong about God forsaking him, could he also be wrong about other things he said?

Jesus didn't just suffer spiritual pain on the Cross; he suffered spiritual death there. On that Cross, he was a curse; God forsook him there.
Wrong cowboy. The flesh is shit...something we all have to suffer...for a blink of the eye

A literary deconstruction that verifies what the OP has to say about that verse and its reference t Psalm 22.

... and another interesting tie in here.

There is so much in this Psalm to unpack! For today, I could not get away from David’s use of the word “worm” to describe the man of Jacob who was under such great reproach of men. It put me in mind of a similar passage in Isaiah:

“Fear not, you worm Jacob, You men of Israel! I will help you,” says the Lord And your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel. Isa 41:14

I did some digging, and it turns out this is the only other place in the Hebrew Bible where the word “worm” is used like this, not speaking of worms, or wormwood as bitterness, but of a man or the men of Israel.

“Worm” is in Hebrew, Strong’s H8438, a specific species of worm, the female of the species ‘coccus ilicis’, the scarlet worm. The dried body of this worm was used for scarlet dye in the ancient world, thus the many times in Torah when, in the instructions for the building of the tabernacle, “blue, purple, and scarlet stuff” or material is specified, this same word for the scarlet worm is used for the color scarlet.

“When the female of the scarlet worm species was ready to give birth to her young, she would attach her body to the trunk of a tree, fixing herself so firmly and permanently that she would never leave again. The eggs deposited beneath her body were thus protected until the larvae were hatched and able to enter their own life cycle. As the mother died, the crimson fluid stained her body and the surrounding wood. From the dead bodies of such female scarlet worms, the commercial scarlet dyes of antiquity were extracted. What a picture this gives of Christ, dying on the tree, shedding his precious blood that he might ‘bring many sons unto glory’ (Hbr 2:10)! He died for us, that we might live through him! Psa 22:6 describes such a worm and gives us this picture of Christ. (cf. Isa 1:18)”

And, from a footnote in the above, we have a scholar who votes for a menorah pattern in the Psalm.

"Specific features of Psalm 22 • The psalm divides into two distinct parts determined by the direction of address and numerical considerations:
vs. 2-23 words addressed to God 162 words
vs. 24-32 words addressed to the faithful, spoken about God 85 (5 x 17) words.

Psalm 22 has an ingeniously designed structure, which is to a great extent determined by numerical factors, strongly suggesting a menorah pattern, with the concluding prayer for deliverance, vs. 20-23, at the centre.
• In addition to the apparent meaningful centre of the entire poem in terms the 72 cola in v. 17b-c, it displays two additional meaningful centres on word level: one (v. 16b) in vs. 13-19 (Canticle II.1), and the other (v. 26) in vs. 24-29 (Canticles III.1 and 2). The psalm shares this multicentre feature with other psalms, e.g., Psalms 55, 56, 57 and 73.

• Another outstanding feature is the use of a numerical chiasmus in no less than three instances: in vs. 2-6, vs. 28-32 and in vs. 13-19. The latter passage, Canticle II.1, is significantly structured in the double kabod pattern, 55 = 32 + 23. Its framework is remarkably similar to that of Psalm 23, which suggests common authorship. "

Last edited:

Yes. That was the case. The son chose to take it and leave. He spent it in riotous living and soon was feeding pigs just to survive.

Hope it was a good one !!!

I've not heard that before, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. Regardless, the son took what was going to come him and squandered it away. The remainder was the eldest son's. The father was not going to carve out a second inheritance and give it to the youngest.

I've already quoted the parable of the talents where the master rewards each servant differently.

And you quoted Romans 2:6 which states: Who will render to every man according to his deeds:

And so we see that rewards (heaven) are no common to man. Each person will receive a according to their faithfulness.

And while that is true, this parable is mainly about the return of someone who left and suffered. This parable is grouped with the parable of the lost sheep and the parable of the lost coin.

It is a message that says, even though you turn your back on God, he won't turn his back on you. He loves all his children and wants the best for them.

But, you can't violate laws and expect to be at the same place as those who don't. And this isn't just about keeping commandments. It is about taking on the stature of Christ. Which happens as you keep the commandments and exercise faith.

I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons). Part of our doctrine is the concept of multiple kingdoms of glory. It is a generous doctrine in that we believe Christ's Atonement reaches so far that it provides even those who don't accept him a place of glory where they will enjoy a level of happiness. Those who are more faithful will be provided a place where they are a little closer to God in the eternities.

As it relates to the prodigal son, we expect that those who violate laws will not qualify for the same level of salvation as those who remained faithful.
Interesting. First, of course I am going to ask if you know or have the bible verses that support such? :)

Second, I've a faint memory of getting that feeling or notion that the Bible does or can give reason to think the levels of Heaven and sort of a reward system does exist....

Like,

My father's house has many rooms...

And the catholic teaching of purgatory lends itself to the same kind of theory...the more faithful or maybe it was righteous, go directly to heaven kind of thing while those who had some issues may spend time contemplating their short comings before moving onward to heaven... So more than just heaven and hell

But let me also say, it seems this kind of thinking, is very "human like"....

What I mean is....it just seems so man like to want to be thought of as...better than the other guy and getting a deserving and just reward for it.... Because we as humans, expect it, it satisfies a human need...

It just does not seem like God is that petty.... Not if He loves us all?? And gave up his Son for the sins of all?

It's satisfying to me, as a human...it seems fair and just, here on Earth....

But do we really bring those feelings of ' lookie,
Lookie at me, I made it to a higher level of Heaven, than thee'.... to Heaven with us??

Last edited:

Forum List

Back