why isnt the left demanding FDR statues be removed ?

Why isn't the left abandoning the Party of Slavery - the Democratic Party?

The Party of slavery ended in humiliating defeat in 1865. In 1877 like the Phoenix, it started its' rise from the ashes and became the party of James Crow. That lasted until the Northern coalition of Dems and Reps defeated the South again with the Civil rights act of 1964. What rose from the ashes of that defeat became the Republicans we have today.

Yeah, it was a magical time.

I imagine it was.

Written by a Canadian, and a huge nation wide hit.

Back in the 70s, the Confederacy was accepted as part of normal, mainstream American culture and no one had a problem with it.

Hell, Joan Baez did a cover of it, and her left credentials are well established.

After the war we kissed and made up and lived happily ever after.
Well legally they didn't charge them with treason. The New Republicans tried to set up fair elections but in 1877 all federal troops finally left the south when the gave up Louisiana. The era of Reconstruction was over. Beginning the struggle of the former slave holding elite to regain power and set the stage for the Jim Crow era. They were accepted by most of the country so it depends on who "we' is.

Well legally they didn't charge them with treason. The New Republican tried to set up fair elections but in 1877 all federal troops finally left the south when the gave up Louisiana. The era of Reconstruction was over. Beginning the struggle of the former slave holding elite to regain power and set the stage for the Jim Crow era. They were accepted by most of the country so it depends on who "we' is.

The country as a whole.

Was that your only problem with my post?

Why isn't the left abandoning the Party of Slavery - the Democratic Party?

The Party of slavery ended in humiliating defeat in 1865. In 1877 like the Phoenix, it started its' rise from the ashes and became the party of James Crow. That lasted until the Northern coalition of Dems and Reps defeated the South again with the Civil rights act of 1964. What rose from the ashes of that defeat became the Republicans we have today.

Yeah, it was a magical time.

I imagine it was.

Written by a Canadian, and a huge nation wide hit.

Back in the 70s, the Confederacy was accepted as part of normal, mainstream American culture and no one had a problem with it.

Hell, Joan Baez did a cover of it, and her left credentials are well established.

Yep. Robbie's lines at the beginning are even more true today.

Well legally they didn't charge them with treason. The New Republican tried to set up fair elections but in 1877 all federal troops finally left the south when the gave up Louisiana. The era of Reconstruction was over. Beginning the struggle of the former slave holding elite to regain power and set the stage for the Jim Crow era. They were accepted by most of the country so it depends on who "we' is.

The country as a whole.

The only point I disagree with enough to type something about it. The people wanted to get over it and get back to what was normal for them. I don't believe in judging the actions of past generations base on current day morals and norms.

why isnt the left demanding FDR statues be removed​

Maybe because FDR never took up arms against our country

Look at you still trying to push the narrative the statue nuttery is about traitors.
What else do you call those who take up arms against their country?

Our fellow Americans. That is sort of the point, isn't it?
Traitors
The vets that defeated the Confederacy disagreed. After the war we kissed and made up and lived happily ever after.

Well, until you modern lefties ran out of other wacism and had to invent some more.

I have asked you many times, what moral authority do you have that trumps those of those vets.

you have never answered.

I guess because you know that you are a pathetic, tiny man, pissing on the legacy of men that fought and bled for an idea(s) bigger than them and then forgave their enemies afterwards.

It is wrong of you, as a group, to renege on their acceptance of their former enemies.

Morally wrong.

The descendants of those Confederate vets erected statues without concern for the opinions of those who descended from the slaves of that Confederacy

Now, descendants are saying they don’t want those statues

That is a rejection of the promises made by THEIR forefathers who advocated and bled so that they could join and be accepted into the wider American Society.

The idea, the goal they, (and we) were always working towards was never unending confrontation, but integration and then living together in harmony and freedom.

Who are these children that want to piss on the dreams and aspirations of their ancestors?

They do not have the moral authority to do this either.

You are spoiled children tearing down the work of your fathers, not realizing that it is your inheritance that you are destroying.
They ignored the objections of those who were enslaved
Now, the shoe is on the other foot

I was unaware that former slaves had objections to the statues at all.

Do you have any documentation or links to prove your assertation.

The last slaves died a lot time ago, but their were newspapers and the like back then.

Those who openly objected received visitors in the middle of the night

So, not only can you read minds, you can do so across generations of time AND the boundary between Alive and Dead?

Cool.

What other superpowers do you have?
Yup

The country as a whole.

The only point I disagree with enough to type something about it. The people wanted to get over it and get back to what was normal for them. I don't believe in judging the actions of past generations base on current day morals and norms.

Except that, that is what the anti-statue people are doing.

And pointing out that they kissed and made up, is not judging them by today's standards.

So, what are you even saying?

why isnt the left demanding FDR statues be removed​

Maybe because FDR never took up arms against our country

Look at you still trying to push the narrative the statue nuttery is about traitors.
What else do you call those who take up arms against their country?

Our fellow Americans. That is sort of the point, isn't it?
Traitors
The vets that defeated the Confederacy disagreed. After the war we kissed and made up and lived happily ever after.

Well, until you modern lefties ran out of other wacism and had to invent some more.

I have asked you many times, what moral authority do you have that trumps those of those vets.

you have never answered.

I guess because you know that you are a pathetic, tiny man, pissing on the legacy of men that fought and bled for an idea(s) bigger than them and then forgave their enemies afterwards.

It is wrong of you, as a group, to renege on their acceptance of their former enemies.

Morally wrong.

The descendants of those Confederate vets erected statues without concern for the opinions of those who descended from the slaves of that Confederacy

Now, descendants are saying they don’t want those statues

I think there were several vets still around when many of those monuments were erected. My grandfather grew up with several. He was born before the 20th Century. Those were trophies erected after the former elite regained power. I'd rather see those statues go to nature and get covered with pigeon poop. Seriously, I'd vote to put them in museums.

FDR was a great, loyal American
Robert E Lee was not

The country as a whole.

And pointing out that they kissed and made up, is not judging them by today's standards.

Feel free to search my posts on the subject of destroying those confederate statutes. It should be up to the voters or their representatives to either keep or remove them, not mobs or vandals.

The country as a whole.

Feel free to search my posts on the subject of destroying those confederate statutes. It should be up to the voters or their representatives to either keep or remove them, not mobs or vandals.

When i said anti-statue people, I was talking about the voters, not the mobs.

My point stands. They are judging those past people by modern standards.

My question stands. What are you even saying?

FDR was a great, loyal American
Robert E Lee was not

Lee was a great Virginian first. Soldier for the Union second. He was a man of great conviction to, which is why he lost the war of attrition. He felt that the morality of the South would win out on the Battlefield. Perhaps he was right, they lost.

The country as a whole.

When i said anti-statue people, I was talking about the voters, not the mobs.

My question stands. What are you even saying?

Then you can vote to keep the statues if the chance arises and I'm okay with that. Just as I'm okay with someone who wants them removed from the public view, because morals have changed and those ideals of the old south are not as prevalent as they once were.

I was talking about the lawless mobs not the lawful process to keep or remove them.

He was a man of great conviction to, which is why he lost the war of attrition. He felt that the morality of the South would win out on the Battlefield.
Lee was an advocate of Slavery

How does that equate to the morality of the south?

He was a man of great conviction to, which is why he lost the war of attrition. He felt that the morality of the South would win out on the Battlefield.

Many people in both the North and South justified the enslavement of what they were taught was an inferior race. Including Lee. Considering the agricultural nature of the South's economy, cheap slave labor was a necessity from the time the first colonist from Europe arrived.

FDR interred 10s of thousands of Asian Americans and presided over a nation that was segregated ... so why isnt the left demanding statues to honor him be removed ?

We can't remove them because of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

FDR interred 10s of thousands of Asian Americans and presided over a nation that was segregated ... so why isnt the left demanding statues to honor him be removed ?

Because he actually did quite a lot to advance civil rights (The real opposition party was the Southern Dems, not the GOP, which was pretty much irrelevant by 1936) and frankly, locking up the Japanese Americans was a prudent move in 1942.

Nobody likes to say that now, but the fact was, every country in the war took actions against people they thought might help the other side. We were relatively benign compared to what everyone else was doing at the time, including our allies.
racist xenophobe .

Just reverse that logic. If we started judging based on times past, we would be putting up statues of O.J. Simpson and Bill Cosby.

Many people in both the North and South justified the enslavement of what they were taught was an inferior race. Including Lee. Considering the agricultural nature of the South's economy, cheap slave labor was a necessity from the time the first colonist from Europe arrived.

Many people realized that slavery was just plain wrong

Lee should have been one of them

1) He is the Saint of the welfare state.

2) Asians are not a preferred minority since they give the lie that racism keeps minorities from succeeding in this country. So what a democrat party President did to them doesn't matter...

Forum List

Back