Why is working overtime something to brag about in 2017? Doesn't it mean that you are....

fbj

Gold Member
Jul 10, 2014
struggling to make ends meet and exhausted? LOL

Could mean you are working to make extra money to better yourself. Either way I dont see why that calls for bragging.

Yeah someone may say........."Getting this OT money........Winning"

LOL

It depends. I worked for a powerline contractor for a year or so. Their main customer was Georgia Power. When we would rebuild substations, we would start friday afternoon and finish by Sunday at 5pm. We pulled and replaced everything but the framework of the substation. My weekly salary was based on $32 an hour. When I worked the substation rebuilds, they paid me overtime for the weekend. I would make a little over $1,500.00 gross for the weekend. Some of the linemen were making $45 to $48 an hour. They would gross better than $2k for a weekend of work. Some of them would brag. I remember a couple of the foremen for the line crews working storm damage made $45 to $48 an hour. They worked 12 hours a day/7 days a week for 4 weeks. They would gross almost $25k in a month. It was exhausting work. But when you work that much, you don't spend anything. They would come home and take a few days off with a chunk of extra money. Taxes ate a hole in that, but it was still decent money.

I believe it depends on one's age. I recall working in factory 6 days a week but that was just for the summer while I was in college. I didn't have time or inclination to brag about it back then, looking back I'm prouder of it now than I was something like 43 years-ago.

I believe it depends on one's age. I recall working in factory 6 days a week but that was just for the summer while I was in college. I didn't have time or inclination to brag about it back then, looking back I'm prouder of it now than I was something like 43 years-ago.

Yeah I would think it's something you just DO not something to announce to the world

I just remembered a job interview that took place in 1981. It was for a computer programmer position and after a short while I was asked how I felt about callouts and overtime. I replied they were not something I looked forward to but afterwards it gave me a feeling of accomplishment. It must have sold him for the rest of the interview we talked mostly about basketball. A day or two later their Human Resources department called and made me a job offer. Retired from the place this past January.

Some people are probably struggling to keep those cable and utilities bills paid in time to avoid another shut off so not much bragging ammo there.

For more ambitious folks though working OT, second jobs, etc. is their way to save money for something like a house down payment or a used car they don't want to be making payments on, schooling, or whatever.

Forum List

Back