Zone1 Why Is The Language In The Bible So Difficult To Understand?

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
I'm asking this question because it came up in another topic. Obviously the term hate in the Bible doesn't always mean the same as strongly disliking something because we aren't really supposed to hate our parents,.. just love God more. So why can't they just say what they really mean so there isn't any confusion like that? Or did that get lost over translation?

• Banned
WHat specifically are you referring to?

Luke 14:26 "If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters-yes, even their own life- such a person cannot be my disciple."

Luke 14:26 "If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters-yes, even their own life- such a person cannot be my disciple."
Sounds like something the leader of a cult would say.

You how the preacher doesn't just tell people to not be bad? How he instead talks and talks and talks? That's why the bible is a brick instead of a couple of pages.

why can't they just say what they really mean so there isn't any confusion like that? Or did that get lost over translation?
There are literally dozens of versions of the Bible, based both on content selection and translation. Blame everyone from King James onward for using their common English (at that time) to translate.

I'm asking this question because it came up in another topic. Obviously the term hate in the Bible doesn't always mean the same as strongly disliking something because we aren't really supposed to hate our parents,.. just love God more. So why can't they just say what they really mean so there isn't any confusion like that? Or did that get lost over translation?
Aramaic was the language Jesus and Apostles spoke. Aramaic was first translated in Greek and/or Latin. Eventually we had an English translation, and word usage/definitions in English evolves and changes over time. Examples:

The first King James Version said Adam and Eve were to replenish the earth. In those days, 'replenish' meant to fill completely, not to fill again.

When Jesus said to go to a closet to pray, he wasn't referencing a broom, linen, or clothes closet. The 'closet' was any inner room.

Because most of us can't speak ancient Greek.

Or did that get lost over translation?
Ancient Hebrew (and most likely Aramaic) had under 7,000 words. Context mattered.) Ancient Greek had about 60,000 words; Latin about 40,000. Modern English: Over 170,000.

Jesus was referring to those who would be his disciples at the time. He hadn't yet died on the cross for the entire world's sins. After he was crucified and resurrected, anyone could become a disciple of Christ.

Jesus was referring to those who would be his disciples at the time. He hadn't yet died on the cross for the entire world's sins. After he was crucified and resurrected, anyone could become a disciple of Christ.
Still sounds like something only a cult leader would say.

Yes, but what does that have to do with "hating" anyone?

In this particular verse, "set aside" is probably an apt translation. Disciples are even asked to set aside the life they are currently living. That is a big deal.

Still sounds like something only a cult leader would say.

Nope. A "cult" would be wary and suspicious of you, excluding you from their group.

You're just as free to become a disciple as anyone else: That's God's free gift to you.

Nope. A "cult" would be wary and suspicious of you, excluding you from their group.

You're just as free to become a disciple as anyone else: That's God's free gift to you.
A cult leader would certainly tell you to hate anyone who might detract from your complete submission to the cult leader.

In this particular verse, "set aside" is probably an apt translation. Disciples are even asked to set aside the life they are currently living. That is a big deal.

Oh, and that makes a LOT more sense to me.

A cult leader would certainly tell you to hate anyone who might detract from your complete submission to the cult leader.

You really do try hard to get people to dislike you, don't you? Was there some kind of a school you went to, to learn that or something?

:laughing0301:

And why do you think your translation is correct? Just because it would better fit your preferred narritive is not a valid reason.
'

Forum List

Back