Zone1 why is artificial scarcity promoted and protected?

Artificial scarcity? The only one that comes to mind is diamonds and even that is supposedly over. Or is it?

i just don't get it.
artificial scarcity only creates suffering and keeps the wealthiest 10% in superyachts and supercars, which they don't need.
Complex adaptive systems fail in spectacular ways. The more complex the system, the more spectacular the collapse. There will be signs. Maybe this is one of them.

Where do you see 'artificial scarcity' affecting us today?
the food market for instance.
with better economic planning (and better political and economic leadership), we could produce more farmland by mixing the right soils (after shipping them around by trains and ships), and we can pump water uphill using nothing but piping and an initial vacuum suction technique, just like draining gas from a car's tank. we can then evaporate that seawater into freshwater using nothing but plumbing techniques, too.

Last edited:
the food market for instance.
with better economic planning (and better political and economic leadership), we could produce more farmland by mixing the right soils (after shipping them around by trains and ships), and we can pump water uphill using nothing but piping and an initial vacuum suction technique, just like draining gas from a car's tank. we can then evaporate that seawater into freshwater using nothing but plumbing techniques, too.
That doesn't sound like it's artificial. Artificial would be someone withholding supply to drive up prices.

and another area of life on Earth where i see artificial scarcity being created, is our "solutions" to conflicts over territory (and thus resources).
by not focussing more on diplomacy (on all sides, Hitler figures and Napoleon figures must remain stricken down, and preferably in an early stage of their development - in their education as a young man/woman), we create scarcity of human workpower, resources, and of course work hours that are spent on productive tasks.

That doesn't sound like it's artificial. Artificial would be someone withholding supply to drive up prices.
please use my definitions, not your own.
artificial scarcity definitely includes withholding supply of components to solutions for problems like adequate food supplies at reasonable prices.
even the energy market is held up and "developed" (diversified in dangerous ways) by artificial scarcity "measures".

Last edited:
and another area of life on Earth where i see artificial scarcity being created, is our "solutions" to conflicts over territory (and thus resources).
by not focussing more on diplomacy (on all sides, Hitler figures and Napoleon figures must remain stricken down, and preferably in an early stage of their development - in their education as a young man/woman), we create scarcity of human workpower, resources, and of course work hours that are spent on productive tasks.
Also not artificial. And probably not a good example of scarcity.

please use my definitions, not your own.
artificial scarcity definitely includes withholding supply of components to solutions for problems like adequate food supplies at reasonable prices.
even the energy market is held up and "developed" by artificial scarcity "measures".
De Beers was an example of artificial scarcity. They controlled the diamond market and artificially limited the sale of diamonds to create an artificially high price. Governments paying subsidies to farmers to not grow something to keep prices artificially high would be an example of artificial scarcity. The definition of artificial scarcity isn't mine or yours to define. It is exactly as it says it is. A scarcity (i.e. a shortage of a product) and an artificial constraint which implies production capabilities are such that they could produce more but someone or something is causing the production to be reduced from what it could be. In other words they have the capability to produce more but are artificially constraining production for whatever reason, usually money.

please note, fellow citizens : political change is best achieved through persistent, patient, peaceful protesting.
not by rioting or revolutions.
If you want to argue artificial scarcity you should focus your attention on universities. Universities constrain the sharing of knowledge unless you give them money. Imagine that. Holding knowledge and information hostage until ransom is paid. And it's not a small sum of money they extort from you either. You have to go into debt to pay the ransom. You should definitely start a movement to socialize education. Knowledge should be free, right? I'm sure the liberal elite establishment who run the universities will agree with you once you explain it to them.

I guess Dante Reawakened isn't a big fan of statistics. As long as there is a non-zero probability of something happening, it will. The birth of our universe is a prime example.

So you can't or won't answer? Okay
I always first consider whether it is worth my time and effort .

And I also recall that whilst a Sheep can look at a King there is nothing written about the King being obliged to talk with the Sheep .

I always first consider whether it is worth my time and effort .

And I also recall that whilst a Sheep can look at a King there is nothing written about the King being obliged to talk with the Sheep .
Sheep and Kings?

Forum List

Back