Why I can no longer call myself an Evangelical Republican

Time and time again we see the left and others like the OP, assume Moore's guilt with exactly zero evidence. Then they base this entire diatribe on why anyone would vote for the guy since he did what he did. It's nuts, these people are insane.
The same can be said about the Clinton scandal. Time and again his enemies cited instances of sexual assault without evidence. All that was based on what some women said, exactly the same situation we have now. Why were Clinton's accusers believable, but Moore's aren't?

Oreo, good for you. Now that you've thrown off the shackles of organizdd religion and party politics, you can move forward and embrace True Conservatism, with its understanding that only Right and Wrong matter.

"There are times in life when the institutional ground underneath you begins to crumble — and with it, longstanding attachments. Such is the case for me when it comes to the Republican Party and evangelicalism.

I’ve been a part of both for my entire adult life. These days, though, in many important ways they are having harmful effects on our society.

The latest example is in Alabama, where Roy Moore, the Republican Senate candidate, stands accused of varying degrees of sexual misconduct by nine women, including one who was 14 years old at the time. Mr. Moore leads in most polls, and solidly among most evangelicals, heading into Tuesday’s election.

Yet the support being given by many Republicans and white evangelicals to President Trump and now to Mr. Moore have caused me to rethink my identification with both groups. Not because my attachment to conservatism and Christianity has weakened, but rather the opposite. I consider Mr. Trump’s Republican Party to be a threat to conservatism, and I have concluded that the term evangelical — despite its rich history of proclaiming the “good news” of Christ to a broken world — has been so distorted that it is now undermining the Christian witness.

Assume you were a person of the left and an atheist, and you decided to create a couple of people in a laboratory to discredit the Republican Party and white evangelical Christianity. You could hardly choose two more perfect men than Donald Trump and Roy Moore."
excellent article more at this link.
Opinion | Why I Can No Longer Call Myself an Evangelical Republican

How could 81% of Evangelicals cast a vote for a man with no honor, no respect, no dignity, no decency and the only loyality he has ever shown to anyone was to himself and Vladimir Putin? How do Evangelicals stand up in support of a man that has been accused repeatedly of being a child molestor?

All over this country there were white male pastors that were singing Trump's praises during the campaign season. Including Mike Huckabee, Billy Graham Jr. & several others. Where did Evangelicals lose their way? Another good article. How the bible belt lost God and found Trump.
How the Bible Belt lost God and found Trump

By doing this, do they have any idea how many they have chased away from the teachings of Jesus Christ? How many refuse to go church today, because they so heavily supported Donald Trump. They instead, have made a mockery of the teachings of Jesus Christ. Yet today, there are Evangelicals in Alabama that refer to themselves as Christians supporting Roy Moore.

As the above article (How they lost GOD and found Trump) explains -most of their political interest is centered around abortion. Which is a 46 year old U.S. Supreme Court already settled issue. One that Neil Gorsuch, Trump's nominee, stated during confirmation hearings: That Roe v Wade is precedent in the Constitution, meaning set in stone.
Gorsuch to Feinstein: Abortion ruling is 'precedent'

So are they really Christians? I don't think so. I think they're red hat Jesus followers more than anything.

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.prod-us.s3.amazonaws.com%2F9cd042a2-1f96-11e7-b7d3-163f5a7f229c

I’ve read articles explaining that it doesn’t matter what pigs these guys are. Will they ban abortion? If they will then christians will vote for them no matter what. Better than a liberal they think

`
My theory is the political evangelicals think God will forgive them because Moore will advance "Dominion Theology", which is part the evangelical belief. In other words, the ends justify the means.

I think it's more than that.

There are probably some things that would make Moore unacceptable. If he ever had a gay relationship or paid for an abortion, the Evangelical Nuts would abandon him.

But I harken back to the 2008 and 2012 elections. The Evangelicals found Mitt Romney totally unacceptable because he was a Mormon in 2008. Mike Huckabee blathered some stuff about Jesus and Satan being brothers in Mormon theology, and they turned out against him in droves, costing him Iowa and SC before the GOP establishment decided to let McCain carry the losing banner.

But by 2012, OH MY GOD THERE'S A NEGRO IN THE WHITE HOUSE! The heck with being Mormon, Romney could have been a worshiper of Dread C'Thulhu and the Evangelicals would have supported him.

"He's released the Great Old Ones! The World Is Doomed!"
"Yeah, but at least we got that n****r out of the White House!"

Which, of course, brings us to Trump. The man is a womanizer, uses foul language, has probably paid for abortions, has cheated nearly everyone he has done business with. But he openly appealed to the racism of the Evangelicals as opposed to the other 16 Republicans who only slightly pandered to it.

The problem is feeling like you have to align yourself with a party (or a religion)... you don't.....

"There are times in life when the institutional ground underneath you begins to crumble — and with it, longstanding attachments. Such is the case for me when it comes to the Republican Party and evangelicalism.

I’ve been a part of both for my entire adult life. These days, though, in many important ways they are having harmful effects on our society.

The latest example is in Alabama, where Roy Moore, the Republican Senate candidate, stands accused of varying degrees of sexual misconduct by nine women, including one who was 14 years old at the time. Mr. Moore leads in most polls, and solidly among most evangelicals, heading into Tuesday’s election.

Yet the support being given by many Republicans and white evangelicals to President Trump and now to Mr. Moore have caused me to rethink my identification with both groups. Not because my attachment to conservatism and Christianity has weakened, but rather the opposite. I consider Mr. Trump’s Republican Party to be a threat to conservatism, and I have concluded that the term evangelical — despite its rich history of proclaiming the “good news” of Christ to a broken world — has been so distorted that it is now undermining the Christian witness.

Assume you were a person of the left and an atheist, and you decided to create a couple of people in a laboratory to discredit the Republican Party and white evangelical Christianity. You could hardly choose two more perfect men than Donald Trump and Roy Moore."

How could 81% of Evangelicals cast a vote for a man with no honor, no respect, no dignity, no decency and the only loyality he has ever shown to anyone was to himself and Vladimir Putin? How do Evangelicals stand up in support of a man that has been accused repeatedly of being a child molestor?

All over this country there were white male pastors that were singing Trump's praises during the campaign season. Including Mike Huckabee, Billy Graham Jr. & several others. Where did Evangelicals lose their way? Another good article. How the bible belt lost God and found Trump.

By doing this, do they have any idea how many they have chased away from the teachings of Jesus Christ? How many refuse to go church today, because they so heavily supported Donald Trump. They instead, have made a mockery of the teachings of Jesus Christ. Yet today, there are Evangelicals in Alabama that refer to themselves as Christians supporting Roy Moore.

As the above article (How they lost GOD and found Trump) explains -most of their political interest is centered around abortion. Which is a 46 year old U.S. Supreme Court already settled issue. One that Neil Gorsuch, Trump's nominee, stated during confirmation hearings: That Roe v Wade is precedent in the Constitution, meaning set in stone.

So are they really Christians? I don't think so. I think they're red hat Jesus followers more than anything.

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.prod-us.s3.amazonaws.com%2F9cd042a2-1f96-11e7-b7d3-163f5a7f229c

Oreo,

Well said and it a hard thing to stand up to (previous) tribe in a world of a hyper-political divide.

I have said that US should move to Proportional Representational (PR) Single Transfer Vote (STV) method of election. This would hopefully stop this madness over a short period of time. PR allows for better representation and STV takes away the winner take all (vote for the lesser evil) type of electioneering which is constant in the US governing system.

Also, remove all large donations, be it corporations or unions... Super PACS are a source of undermining the system... Politicians should not be spending 6 hours on the phone begging for cash, it obviously gives bad government. Public funding would be cheaper and more cost-effective than that or all private money goes into one pot and shared out according to vote percentage last time.

Effectively this allows fro less partisan, less corruption and more diversity in our representitives... So Oreo in your position you are looking for the 'Good Christian Party' who might have a platform of social conservative, fiscal spending towards defense and tax cuts...
Unlike the ''Democratic Christian Party' who might have a platform of social conservative, fiscal spending towards internal social services..

You might prefer the 'Good Christian Party' but your second choice is ''Democratic Christian Party' who are good on a lot of issues but you prefer tax cuts... If your Good Christian Party' goes out then you don't get everything you wanted but you get some of it...

I couldn't care less whether you are evangelical this that or the other, except for when you declare yourself to be an evangelical idiot.

You believe that Moore is sexual harasser based on a completely unproven political attacks. If this is what it takes to change your faith, either you had a shit faith or none at all. Based on the streampile of garbage that you just spilled I am thinking the second one, although not many groups would wait to ditch you based on what you wrote.

Time and time again we see the left and others like the OP, assume Moore's guilt with exactly zero evidence. Then they base this entire diatribe on why anyone would vote for the guy since he did what he did. It's nuts, these people are insane.
The same can be said about the Clinton scandal. Time and again his enemies cited instances of sexual assault without evidence. All that was based on what some women said, exactly the same situation we have now. Why were Clinton's accusers believable, but Moore's aren't?

No dumbass, learn history before you open your pie hole. There was evidence, DNA evidence.

What a boatload of bullshit. You exposed yourself as a fake conservative well over a year ago.
Like Matthew before you, no one with a brain believes you were a conservative or Republican.

No dumbass, learn history before you open your pie hole. There was evidence, DNA evidence.
DNA evidence of what? If you're talking Monica, that was consensual. I was addressing accusations of assault.

DNA evidence of what? If you're talking Monica, that was consensual. I was addressing accusations of assault.

It came out and was used to show a pattern of abuse. Not to mention that he lied to congress under oath.

It came out and was used to show a pattern of abuse. Not to mention that he lied to congress under oath.
None of which exonerates Moore and just serves as deflection from the current controversy.

Why did you feel the need to add the word "evangelical" to your political affiliation? The best thing for lazy uninformed idiots to do is vote for a democrat. That way you don't ever have to worry about pesky issues like morality and family values because the democrat party claims neither.

None of which exonerates Moore and just serves as deflection from the current controversy.
You have to be charged with a crime before you can be "exonerated" liar.

Call somebody that gives a shit...

I believe that is the point of the OP....that today's so called evangelical Republican doesn't give a shit about morals anymore.

Forum List

Back