Why I am Catholic

Good start. Which concept? One concept is that our first parents sinned and all their descendants are paying for it.

The other is that all of mankind is born with the propensity of doing or following that which is wrong caused when our first parents elected to know both good and evil.
Bad start , one cannot be held responsible for the sins of those who preceded them ; collectively or individually ; it is not acceptable. Especially because the concept of the Garden of Eden and two individuals started the human race is not possible by any scientific standards , the gene pool wouldn't support it.

Bad start , one cannot be held responsible for the sins of those who preceded them ; collectively or individually ; it is not acceptable. Especially because the concept of the Garden of Eden and two individuals started the human race is not possible by any scientific standards , the gene pool wouldn't support it.
It is a story, and an incredible one at that. You don't hold with the idea that that a choice was made not to be a people obedient to the ways of God/Creator?

Thousands.
I only have two children in the traditional sense, but lots of students, so we may have a meeting place. We expect the children under our immediate supervision to obey for the simple reason that is what is best for the entire family and/or the entire class--ultimately, the school. Or, in the case of God/Creator what is best for an entire world.

There are numerous choices for us as individuals to make, but don't we also try to establish the common ground so that all are free to pursue individual goals?

Way back when, read an old college dorm sign with the bold heading RULES. Underneath is quiet letters was this: Gentlemen need none. My kids (all of them) love that rule.

God did give us Ten Commandments, which are the Guidelines for happy, peaceful lives for all. Are any of these unneeded? If so, which ones?

I only have two children in the traditional sense, but lots of students, so we may have a meeting place. We expect the children under our immediate supervision to obey for the simple reason that is what is best for the entire family and/or the entire class--ultimately, the school. Or, in the case of God/Creator what is best for an entire world.

There are numerous choices for us as individuals to make, but don't we also try to establish the common ground so that all are free to pursue individual goals?

Way back when, read an old college dorm sign with the bold heading RULES. Underneath is quiet letters was this: Gentlemen need none. My kids (all of them) love that rule.

God did give us Ten Commandments, which are the Guidelines for happy, peaceful lives for all. Are any of these unneeded? If so, which ones?
The 10 Commandments were modeled after the Hittite Suzerainty covenant that vassals swore to their king. A very human creation. Attempting to humanize the Creator Entity does nothing but belittles it.

The 10 Commandments were modeled after the Hittite Suzerainty covenant that vassals swore to their king. A very human creation. Attempting to humanize the Creator Entity does nothing but belittles it.
Is the Spirit of God only amid a small and specific group of people? Do you hold with the belief that human make-up is body, mind, and spirit/soul?

Is the Spirit of God only amid a small and specific group of people? Do you hold with the belief that human make-up is body, mind, and spirit/soul?
Your belief system states that " god " created everything from nothing. That is not possible. The Creator Entity created everything from itself. This , we are part of " god ". Can the Creator offend itself ? Not likely , again that would be humanizing the entity

Your belief system states that " god " created everything from nothing. That is not possible. The Creator Entity created everything from itself. This , we are part of " god ". Can the Creator offend itself ? Not likely , again that would be humanizing the entity
Think about that for a minute. Can a painter create artwork that offends him? What about one who writes an essay. Can the author not be critical of it? An injury that occurs to self through one's own doing can still be offensive to that person. What a person creates continues to have an existence all its own apart from its creator. Objects in our own homes testify to that truth.

Too many questions, I know, but much of God's creation does have freedom of choice. Doesn't that include the ability/choice to cause offense?

Think about that for a minute. Can a painter create artwork that offends him? What about one who writes an essay. Can the author not be critical of it? An injury that occurs to self through one's own doing can still be offensive to that person. What a person creates continues to have an existence all its own apart from its creator. Objects in our own homes testify to that truth.

Too many questions, I know, but much of God's creation does have freedom of choice. Doesn't that include the ability/choice to cause offense?
Every argument you've attempted is based on humanizing the Creator Entity. The entity has evolved far past anything that simple.

Every argument you've attempted is based on humanizing the Creator Entity. The entity has evolved far past anything that simple.
Not an argument, questions based on logic. You (a human, I presume) stated the Creator would not be offended by His creation. But does that logically follow? I think not.

However, where we may agree is with God's ways are not our ways, His thoughts not are not our thoughts. Another point where we may agree is that ancient humans are wiser and more intelligent than some today might credit them.

Not an argument, questions based on logic. You (a human, I presume) stated the Creator would not be offended by His creation. But does that logically follow? I think not.

However, where we may agree is with God's ways are not our ways, His thoughts not are not our thoughts. Another point where we may agree is that ancient humans are wiser and more intelligent than some today might credit them.
Logic does not exist in religion. We are a minor detail in the Creator's endeavors. We overinflate our importance in the scheme of things.

Last edited:
We are a minor detail in the Creator's endeavors. We overinflate our importance in the scheme of things.
Perhaps we over inflate in the scheme of things, but in my experience, not in the eyes of God. I've seen His presence (or maybe it's His fingerprints, not in what is great, but in the smaller details of life.

Perhaps we over inflate in the scheme of things, but in my experience, not in the eyes of God. I've seen His presence (or maybe it's His fingerprints, not in what is great, but in the smaller details of life.
It is ALL , you couldn't possibly miss it.

99.9% of Catholics are catholic because their parents were.

If you’d been born in Saudi Arabia, you’d be a Muslim.

Forum List

Back