Why hasn't Michael Grimm been arrested for assault?

Because who gives a shit? Saying something to a person is not assault.

Yes it is.

I've posted the law several times in this thread.

I will post it again:

There are three forms of misdemeanor assault (that is, simple assault) in Washington, D.C. First, there is “attempted battery assault” which occurs when the defendant injures or attempts to injure another person. The second form, “intent-to-frighten” assault, is defined as a threatening act that puts another person in reasonable fear of immediate injury. Finally, “non-violent sexual touching assault” is the intentional touching of another person’s body without the other person’s consent. The touching in this third form must be on a part of the other person’s body that “would cause fear, shame, humiliation or mental anguish in a person of reasonable sensibility if done without consent.”
Simple Assault in Washington, DC: Attempted Battery Assault, Intent to Frighten Assault, and Sexual Touching Assault | Koehler Law

It's in English.

The second act of assault isn't harsh words. It's pulling a gun out or a weapon to threaten someone. You have to show that you have the means to carry out a threat and the victim must have reasonable fear that they are about to suffer bodily harm.

The threat of physical violence has been substantiated.

End of the whining, please.

1798536_706362382742080_608720551_n.jpg

Does this represent assault?

"Get out of my face or I'll kill you!!!!"

No.

False analogy.

Threatening to throw someone off the balcony they're standing right next to is not even close to the same thing as an unsubstantiated threat like that.

No.

In itself, that may not represent assault. If you say it with a knife in your hand, it does

If Grimm had said "I will throw you off a balcony" and was standing on the ground, it would not be assault. But saying it while someone is standing on the edge of a balcony, it does

No.

False analogy.

Threatening to throw someone off the balcony they're standing right next to is not even close to the same thing as an unsubstantiated threat like that.

No difference.

The reporter decided not to press charges because he didn't really feel threatened and he knows he has no case. No injuries. No damages.

Come on you lefties. You must be desperate. A couple of years ago democrat Va. rep Jim Moran assaulted a Black child after accusing him of carjacking. Lefties snickered when the statute of limitations expired when a credible victim accused Bill Clinton of rape. Al Sharpton organized a mob that set fire to a Harlem clothing store and killed about a dozen people. Carlos Danger exposed himself to any young girl on the internet. Sharp words directed at a reporter might be hurtful to their delicate egos but shit happens.

Because who gives a shit? Saying something to a person is not assault.

Yes it is.

I will post it again:

There are three forms of misdemeanor assault (that is, simple assault) in Washington, D.C. First, there is “attempted battery assault” which occurs when the defendant injures or attempts to injure another person. The second form, “intent-to-frighten” assault, is defined as a threatening act that puts another person in reasonable fear of immediate injury. Finally, “non-violent sexual touching assault” is the intentional touching of another person’s body without the other person’s consent. The touching in this third form must be on a part of the other person’s body that “would cause fear, shame, humiliation or mental anguish in a person of reasonable sensibility if done without consent.”
Simple Assault in Washington, DC: Attempted Battery Assault, Intent to Frighten Assault, and Sexual Touching Assault | Koehler Law

It's in English.

The second form, “intent-to-frighten” assault, is defined as a threatening act that puts another person in reasonable fear of immediate injury.

Being threatened to be thrown off a balcony when you are standing on the edge of a balcony seems like reasonable fear of immediate injury

This would not have even happened if they had not been in a gun free zone and the reporter was packing.

Yes it is.

I will post it again:

It's in English.

And was the reporter in reasonable fear of immediate injury? The reporter doesn't act that way. He wasnt actually thrown over the balcony. I would think if he was really afraid he would press charges, or at least have mentioned it.

If you are standing on the edge of a balcony and someone threatens to throw you off that balcony......is that a reasonable fear of immediate injury?
Was Grimm laughing and joking when he said it or was he enraged?

That is reasonable

But was the reporter in fear? Did he really expect him to do that? I wouldn't even if he is that angry. Last thing I would expect is a Congressman to throw me off the balcony with the press and countless others around.

The question on whether he was in reasonable fear is one only the reporter can answer. If he was, he had every right to file charges against the Congressman. If not, then he can't. It's up to him. No one else who was there can determine whether the report was truly afraid without him saying so.

Come on you lefties. You must be desperate. A couple of years ago democrat Va. rep Jim Moran assaulted a Black child after accusing him of carjacking. Lefties snickered when the statute of limitations expired when a credible victim accused Bill Clinton of rape. Al Sharpton organized a mob that set fire to a Harlem clothing store and killed about a dozen people. Carlos Danger exposed himself to any young girl on the internet. Sharp words directed at a reporter might be hurtful to their delicate egos but shit happens.

Yes, what's your point.

There are actually people who believe journalists should not ask "gotcha questions" like, 'what magazines do you read'. And, we've seen many Republicans demand to approve of questions beforehand and run from journalists if they could not make sure they would not be asked embarrassing questions about investigations and/or their utter incompetence.

I don't think this will end his career. It certainly should but, he's a bullying thug Republican, so this will likely get him more votes.

You think this is a Republican thing? All politicians want to control the questions they are asked. Or do you honestly think Obama goes in front a camera without knowing ahead of time what he's being asked about?

There are actually people who believe journalists should not ask "gotcha questions" like, 'what magazines do you read'. And, we've seen many Republicans demand to approve of questions beforehand and run from journalists if they could not make sure they would not be asked embarrassing questions about investigations and/or their utter incompetence.

I don't think this will end his career. It certainly should but, he's a bullying thug Republican, so this will likely get him more votes.

You think this is a Republican thing? All politicians want to control the questions they are asked. Or do you honestly think Obama goes in front a camera without knowing ahead of time what he's being asked about?

Shut the fuck up or I'll throw you off the internet

Shut the fuck up or I'll throw you off the internet

You and what army?

First of all since you libs want to take things so literal, I believe the congressman calmly whispered in the reporter's ear that he would break him in half AND throw him off the balcony.

When you use the word and both statements have to be true in order for the entire statement to be true.

Now, I caught a lot of flak for this yesterday but did the reporter believe the congressman, or anyone else for that matter, could actually break him in half prior to throwing his now bifurcated body off the balcony?

BTW, as part of my job I am the communications director so all media inquiries and interviews go through me.

I just put this sign on my desk:

Until further notice all interviews will be conducted upstairs on the courtroom balcony.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back