Why Go to College?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Seriously. Answer the question.

The one obvious reason to go to college is to prepare oneself for a "profession" (e.g., accountant, engineer) or a "Profession" (Doctor, lawyer), or possibly to prepare oneself to be a teacher at one level or another (of which there is never any shortage).

One could also argue, I suppose, that a generic college degree is a "credential" that some employers recognize for jobs and/or careers that require intelligence and task-oriented skills, but no specific knowledge, such as Project Manager, Sales person, Retail or Restaurant manager, etc. Government, as employer, often requires a generic college degree for many positions.

But again, this second category is still going to college as preparation for a work career.

What other reason is there to go to college? What is the rationale, for example, for spending a quarter million dollars to study English Literature? You could get virtually the same education with a library card and access to the internet. If you are truly interested in English Lit, there is NO REASON to go to college to study it, at great cost in money and time. And I have chosen English Literature as an example but there are literally scores of other similarly "worthless" college majors - many of which include the word, "Studies" - for which virtually the same education can be had literally for free at one's local library and on line. Ethnic Studies? There are thousands of books, hundreds of sources of information to guide you to the best ones, countless on-line lectures and other sources of real-time information for those who choose to seek it out. It is literally a waste of time and money to go to college to pursue "Ethnic Studies." Even if it's not your money.

Some argue that "education" is itself a valuable thing, just as the beauty and smell of a flower are valuable things, and need no functional justification. To this I say, "Hogwash." This may be true for the monied class (who will never have to work to support themselves), but for working class people this is preposterous.

I submit that for many in college, the experience is nothing more than a justification to delay assumption of the obligations of adulthood, mainly, the social obligation to support oneself with gainful employment.

Consider that "adolescence" is a relatively new phenomenon. In the early days of Harvard University, for example, the typical starting student was 13-14 years old. That was - not coincidentally - the typical age at which a boy would start an apprenticeship, begin working on the family farm or business, or simply start working for whoever would have you. It is also the age at which jews do the bar mitzvah thing and Christians have "confirmation," signifying the advent, in both cases, of adulthood. Our society and culture have created the phenomenon of adolescence: a period between physical maturity (13-14) and adulthood, where there are essentially no real responsibilities, and it now expands into one's 20's for many Americans.

And in these days when "free college" is seriously bandied about as a possible public financial responsibility, is there ANY POSSIBLE JUSTIFICATION for imposing on the innocent taxpayers the obligation to pay for English Literature degrees?

In short, NO.

So, other than in preparation for a JOB (or whatever you want to call it), what rational purpose is served by going to college? How are the expense and time justified where ALL information is available for free, and particularly when there is the hidden expense of the earnings that will not occur while the student is wasting his time in college?

Those days of going to a really good college are over. I don't mean attending those prestige and elite Ivy League colleges. I am referring to any Universities or even State colleges. The educational realm of those colleges is to be taught to "face the uncertainty" of the real world. Whether getting or having a good professional career. But at the other side of that spectrum; it all depends on who is doing the teaching.
Some of these students actually come out graduating from these colleges dumber than when they went in. And partially, it's not their fault. Since their rich parents paid for them to attend these colleges. But if they actually paid their way, then it's their fault for even choosing that course - when they could have taken a similar or better course.

In a nutshell, some of these Professors that teach in these colleges are "radicals". They are very strong opinionated on many things, and they "feel" they have to rewrite history by teaching them according to how they "see the world". They corrupt the minds of many kids. Because they are so vulnerable and easy targets.
In most cases, a lot of kids drop out of colleges;due to lack of respect and many other social issues. As well, as strenuous hours of studying; that they never have any decent time to work accordingly at their jobs. Or/and family. It takes a toll on them eventually.

To answer your question in a concise manner would take multiple answers. There are really no wrong answers. But it all depends on the individual. And their past experiences.

College has served me well.

But then I didn't go to college straight out of high school. I worked as a machine operator and when the first CNC machines came in, found that I could program them on an Apple II with BASIC. So I went and got an associate degree from a community college. That allowed me to get into an EDP department. I was good at programming - all BASIC then, was made lead programmer and a couple of years later went back for a BS in MIS. 10 years after that I was managing the IT operations for a rapidly growing aerospace company, so I went back and got and MBA. The MBA taught me enough that I began focusing on production systems, particularly lean manufacturing. So I went back once again and got a doctorate in supply chain management.

Each step was calculated, with a goal in mind. Too often people go to college with no clue what they will do once they graduate.

The one obvious reason to go to college is to prepare oneself for a "profession" (e.g., accountant, engineer) or a "Profession" (Doctor, lawyer), or possibly to prepare oneself to be a teacher at one level or another (of which there is never any shortage).

One could also argue, I suppose, that a generic college degree is a "credential" that some employers recognize for jobs and/or careers that require intelligence and task-oriented skills, but no specific knowledge, such as Project Manager, Sales person, Retail or Restaurant manager, etc. Government, as employer, often requires a generic college degree for many positions.

But again, this second category is still going to college as preparation for a work career.

What other reason is there to go to college? What is the rationale, for example, for spending a quarter million dollars to study English Literature? You could get virtually the same education with a library card and access to the internet. If you are truly interested in English Lit, there is NO REASON to go to college to study it, at great cost in money and time. And I have chosen English Literature as an example but there are literally scores of other similarly "worthless" college majors - many of which include the word, "Studies" - for which virtually the same education can be had literally for free at one's local library and on line. Ethnic Studies? There are thousands of books, hundreds of sources of information to guide you to the best ones, countless on-line lectures and other sources of real-time information for those who choose to seek it out. It is literally a waste of time and money to go to college to pursue "Ethnic Studies." Even if it's not your money.

Some argue that "education" is itself a valuable thing, just as the beauty and smell of a flower are valuable things, and need no functional justification. To this I say, "Hogwash." This may be true for the monied class (who will never have to work to support themselves), but for working class people this is preposterous.

I submit that for many in college, the experience is nothing more than a justification to delay assumption of the obligations of adulthood, mainly, the social obligation to support oneself with gainful employment.

Consider that "adolescence" is a relatively new phenomenon. In the early days of Harvard University, for example, the typical starting student was 13-14 years old. That was - not coincidentally - the typical age at which a boy would start an apprenticeship, begin working on the family farm or business, or simply start working for whoever would have you. It is also the age at which jews do the bar mitzvah thing and Christians have "confirmation," signifying the advent, in both cases, of adulthood. Our society and culture have created the phenomenon of adolescence: a period between physical maturity (13-14) and adulthood, where there are essentially no real responsibilities, and it now expands into one's 20's for many Americans.

And in these days when "free college" is seriously bandied about as a possible public financial responsibility, is there ANY POSSIBLE JUSTIFICATION for imposing on the innocent taxpayers the obligation to pay for English Literature degrees?

In short, NO.

So, other than in preparation for a JOB (or whatever you want to call it), what rational purpose is served by going to college? How are the expense and time justified where ALL information is available for free, and particularly when there is the hidden expense of the earnings that will not occur while the student is wasting his time in college?
there are no colleges anymore.
Democrats won't allow them to hold classes anymore.

In short, NO.

there are no colleges anymore.
Democrats won't allow them to hold classes anymore.

On line is a better delivery system anyway. Brick and mortar schools add no value. Having some Marxist with a man bun pontificate about the evils of being white does nothing to make a better educated person.

The left wants INDOCTRINATED people in the white collar professions. They need mindless zealots in these fields rather than individuals with critical thinking skills. Otherwise managerial professionals will resist what are obviously destructive policies from union thugs and regulatory bureaucrooks.

Besides that, insisting everyone gets a "college education" enriches universities at the expense of society, and when government will foot the bill there is almost no limit to what they can charge.

Notice that the most wealthy people in the country didn't spend 12 years in college, and NONE of the people teaching in college have any experience in running businesses.

Another anti-education troll thread by a blockhead who can't think beyond the superficial.

In short, NO.

Why didn't you say "Why go to college for worthless degrees?" That is what you post actually says.

Anti-education? I have a fucking DOCTORATE.

My point is that college should have a tangible purpose, involving some material benefit. Further, it should be reserved to those who are, and used to be routinely referred to as, "college material." In this country, we have hundreds of thousands of "seats" in our colleges and universities, and we only need a small fraction of them in order to educate those who can materially benefit. As a result of the need to fill those seats, we have the colleges accepting those who have no business being there, and who cannot handle the academic rigor of a meaningful education.

And we have literally HALF OF THE AMERICAN POLITICAL UNIVERSE saying that we, the taxpayers, ought to pony up the funds to allow basically EVERYBODY to go to college for "free."

Parenthetically, the current plague is forcing American parents to reconsider the value of a "sheepskin" for their kids. If they foolishly pay tuition for the next academic year, they will be getting nothing but a quarter of the sheepskin, and probably close-to-zero education for their tuition dollars. The sane parents will be encouraging their superannuated adolescents to take a year off college, and wait until the brick & mortar are ready again.

But the point remains that a large percentage of college education in this country is rather pointless and without value. And yet, it costs the proverbial Arm and a Leg. SURELY, all unpaid college loans should be forgiven, and paid loans refunded to the borrowers. Fair is fair.

What happens to those who do not qualify for college DS? A blue collar job for $15 an hour? Do you expect people to actually work hard for that? I sure as heck don't. Pretend to pay me I pretend to work.

What happens to those who do not qualify for college DS? A blue collar job for $15 an hour? Do you expect people to actually work hard for that? I sure as heck don't. Pretend to pay me I pretend to work.
Spoken like a slack-ass loser. If you have no work ethic, you're not much of an American; not much of a man.

I'm retired....been retired for 25 years....I stand up for the working man, not the wealthy.

I'm retired....been retired for 25 years....I stand up for the working man, not the wealthy.
Wealthy people don't work? All non-wealthy people do? You should be old enough to know better than this embarrassing display. Don't be one of those old people who wants the world to suck just because you're on your way out of it. Go out with some class.

Forum List

Back