Why does God wear clothes?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Looking for something for soemthing else I came upon this painting from antiquity and the question occured, "Why is God wearing clothes?"

437px-God_the_Geometer.jpg

Description
English: Science, and particularly geometry and astronomy/astrology, was linked directly to the divine for most medieval scholars. The compass in this 13th century manuscript is a symbol of God's act of Creation. God has created the universe after geometric and harmonic principles, to seek these principles was therefore to seek and worship God.
File:God the Geometer.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Where's God get his clothes? Does he make them himself? So at some point, God spent some amount of time thinking about how he wanted to look dressed and made the garments we see him depicted in. Can we draw any conclusions from his fashion sense? :) What would the harpies on "Fashion Police" have to say? :)

Jesus was resurrected with a body of flesh and bones. He's always wears clothes as well.
God has a body of flesh and bones also, just like his son. So it would just seem natural he has clothing as well.
After all, the Bible does say we are created in God's image.

Jesus was resurrected with a body of flesh and bones. He's always wears clothes as well.
God has a body of flesh and bones also, just like his son. So it would just seem natural he has clothing as well.

Actually it says 'our image' meaning God and the angels (who he woulda been talking to) share the same image.

Actually it says 'our image' meaning God and the angels (who he woulda been talking to) share the same image.
Well, my religion teaches he does have a body of flesh and bone. We sounds perfectly logical to me.
The whole basis of his creations were based on the flesh and bone principle; even his son.

Well, my religion teaches he does have a body of flesh and bone. We sounds perfectly logical to me.
The whole basis of his creations were based on the flesh and bone principle; even his son.

God has no body according to Judaism. So if that's wrong, so is every derivitive religion like Christianity and Islam. And Islam upholds the Jewish view.

"Judaism firmly maintains that G-d has no body. Any reference to G-d's body is simply a figure of speech, a means of making G-d's actions more comprehensible to beings living in a material world. Much of Rambam's Guide for the Perplexed is devoted to explaining each of these anthropomorphic references and proving that they should be understood figuratively.

We are forbidden to represent G-d in a physical form. That is considered idolatry. The sin of the Golden Calf incident was not that the people chose another deity, but that they tried to represent G-d in a physical form.

G-d is Neither Male nor Female

This follows directly from the fact that G-d has no physical form. As one rabbi explained it to me, G-d has no body, no genitalia, therefore the very idea that G-d is male or female is patently absurd. We refer to G-d using masculine terms simply for convenience's sake, because Hebrew has no neutral gender; G-d is no more male than a table is.

Although we usually speak of G-d in masculine terms, there are times when we refer to G-d using feminine terms. The Shechinah, the manifestation of G-d's presence that fills the universe, is conceived of in feminine terms, and the word Shechinah is a feminine word. "
Judaism 101: The Nature of G-d

Where's God get his clothes? Does he make them himself? So at some point, God spent some amount of time thinking about how he wanted to look dressed and made the garments we see him depicted in. Can we draw any conclusions from his fashion sense? :) What would the harpies on "Fashion Police" have to say?
I'm sorry; God is naked. He made Adam and Eve in his likeness and they were naked. Adam and Eve found shame in nakedness. I doubt if God did. The Sistine chapel ceiling shows God clothed and lots of others naked. That ceiling should be repainted.

In paintings etc. it's because of modesty

In reality, no one will really care when we are face to face with Him.

Well then,
All I can say is I disagree. I believe God has a body of flesh and bone as tangible as mans.
Fair enough, but don't you think God should therefore be naked? He didn't create Adam and Eve fully clothed.

Well then,
All I can say is I disagree. I believe God has a body of flesh and bone as tangible as mans.
Fair enough, but don't you think God should therefore be naked? He didn't create Adam and Eve fully clothed.
I sincerely hope this isn't an attack thread. It seems I try and answer questions honestly only to be learned I'm being suckered.
If you read the account of Adam and Eve. After they had partaken of the forbidden fruit "then" their eyes were opened. And it was "after" this event that God Himself said, "look, man has become as One as Us, to know good from evil."'; or something like that.
So it appears something was lacking in their personalities that they didn't have a complete knowledge of things.
If you don't agree, I can just say, I am what I am.

Well then,
I sincerely hope this isn't an attack thread. It seems I try and answer questions honestly only to be learned I'm being suckered.
If you read the account of Adam and Eve. After they had partaken of the forbidden fruit "then" their eyes were opened. And it was "after" this event that God Himself said, "look, man has become as One as Us, to know good from evil."'; or something like that.
So it appears something was lacking in their personalities that they didn't have a complete knowledge of things.
That's fine. You know the Bible more than I do. I think the genesis in the bible is great as a metaphor, but for me, many things don't hold up when it's too strictly interpreted.

Well then,
That's fine. You know the Bible more than I do. I think the genesis in the bible is great as a metaphor, but for me, many things don't hold up when it's too strictly interpreted.
It is rather interesting why God would use the Garden of Eden story to introduce death and sin into the world. Very interesting even from a believers stand point.

Psalm 104:1
New International Version
Praise the LORD, my soul. LORD my God, you are very great; you are clothed with splendor and majesty.
2The Lord wraps himself in light as with a garment...

Beautiful...
Before the sin, Adam and Eve were ALSO clothed in light and their bodies were on a higher spiritual plane.
Then they sinned by trying to pass the buck and the light vanished.
That's why when Moshe came down from Mount Sinai the 2nd time he was wrapped in such a bright light no one could look at him.

Looking for something for soemthing else I came upon this painting from antiquity and the question occured, "Why is God wearing clothes?"

437px-God_the_Geometer.jpg

Description
English: Science, and particularly geometry and astronomy/astrology, was linked directly to the divine for most medieval scholars. The compass in this 13th century manuscript is a symbol of God's act of Creation. God has created the universe after geometric and harmonic principles, to seek these principles was therefore to seek and worship God.
File:God the Geometer.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Where's God get his clothes? Does he make them himself? So at some point, God spent some amount of time thinking about how he wanted to look dressed and made the garments we see him depicted in. Can we draw any conclusions from his fashion sense? :) What would the harpies on "Fashion Police" have to say? :)

Also, why does 'god' need a compass to measure a circle. You'd think he'd have those formulas memorized for the test.

And maybe he wears clothes because everyone else in heaven requested it. Maybe he has 65 year old Steven Tyler body.
Yes I thought about posting a picture for effect but I just had breakfast.

It is rather interesting why God would use the Garden of Eden story to introduce death and sin into the world. Very interesting even from a believers stand point.

GOD's plan seems to be to work along with man. The Fall was about man thinking that he doesn't need GOD and the GOD was holding out on man ------ read what Satan says to EVE (apparently with Adam present).

Genesis 3:4-5 The serpent said to the woman, "You surely will not die! 5"For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."…

Satan lies and says a half truth. Man died spiritually. This is why some see no GOD. They are spiritually dead. Some create idols ----- to fill this void.

Last edited:
Well then,
Eating apples from a tree with a snake in it makes you want to hide your package. I damn sure wouldn't want a snakebite on my dick.....although whassherface might enjoy the extra swelling and throbbing sensation :alirulz: !

I home she doesn't read this. Crazy bitch might put a snake in my PJ's :ack-1:

Forum List

Back