Why does Congress prevent the CDC from studying gun-related violence?

"You guys..."? You mean, folks like me? You mean, thoughtful rational folks who are interested in, and in favor of, effective means of keeping implements of murder out of the hands of criminally violent sociopaths and psychopaths? Your problem is with us?

So, I take it then that you'd rather look to the irrational hand-wringers whose notions are informed by their self-manufactured superstitious hysteria?

Interesting. Tell me more about that.

You guys aren't "rational". most of you are kind of nuts, really.

Fact is, other countries have already figured this out. Average citizens don't need guns. They have very little crime compared to the US.

Perhaps those people should not be out in public at all.

While I understand why it is acceptable that the mentally/and emotionally dangerous should not have access to guns, I fail to understand why we should tolerate them having access to EVERYTHING ELSE they could use to effect their murderous plans.

Why is that OK? Explain that to me.

Everything else isn't specifically designed to KILL PEOPLE.

I don't think there was anything else in Chris Harper Mercers home that he could have killed 9 people with. At least not all at the same time. Yeah, he might have stabbed one person or hit one person with a baseball bat before everyone else mobbed his sorry ass.

Let's say we accept your ridiculous assertion that "...Kleck has been debunked...", what you fail to grasp in your total ignorance of all things related to this subject is that the study that 2aguy is citing was also conducted with David Hemenway; who apparently had no problem with the design or execution of the study... until it's obvious conclusions failed to support his prejudice against gun ownership.

Actually, Hemenway is the guy who pointed out the bullshit methodology of Kleck's study, not the least of which is he used much too small of a sample.

The FBI has a study called NCVS that interviews

According to the NCVS, looking at the total number of self-protective behaviors undertaken by victims of both attempted and completed violent crime for the fiveyear period 2007 through 2011, in only 0.8 percent of these instances had the intended victim in resistance to a criminal “threatened or attacked with a firearm.”11 As detailed in the chart on the next page, for the five-year period 2007 through 2011, the NCVS estimates that there were 29,618,300 victims of attempted or completed violent crime. During this same five-year period, only 235,700 of the self-protective behaviors involved a firearm. Of this number, it is not known what type of firearm was used or whether it was fired or not. The number may also include off-duty law enforcement officers who use their firearms in self-defense

Did you get that, Spanky? only 47K a year DGU's. And that includes off duty cops.

"You guys..."? You mean, folks like me? You mean, thoughtful rational folks who are interested in, and in favor of, effective means of keeping implements of murder out of the hands of criminally violent sociopaths and psychopaths? Your problem is with us?

So, I take it then that you'd rather look to the irrational hand-wringers whose notions are informed by their self-manufactured superstitious hysteria?

Interesting. Tell me more about that.

You guys aren't "rational". most of you are kind of nuts, really.
Yet here you are; the one casting the baseless aspersions, Pumpkin.

Fact is, other countries have already figured this out.
Fact is, you're wrong.

Average citizens don't need guns.
Fact is, the argument from (does not) need is invalid for OBVIOUS reasons... rational people know this.

You didn't?

They have very little crime compared to the US.
Fact is, most other countries have MUCH more crime and are MUCH more violent... rational people know this.

You didn't?

Fact is Princess, the conscensus all of the research done on the subject points to one conclusion... there is no causal correlation between guns and crime... rational people know this.

You didn't?

Perhaps those people should not be out in public at all.

While I understand why it is acceptable that the mentally/and emotionally dangerous should not have access to guns, I fail to understand why we should tolerate them having access to EVERYTHING ELSE they could use to effect their murderous plans.

Why is that OK? Explain that to me.

Everything else isn't specifically designed to KILL PEOPLE.
Yet the fact remains that the mentally/and emotionally dangerous will still use EVERYTHING ELSE as well, to effect their murderous plans.

And now you've tacitly admitted that that's OK by you.

The law abiding use guns to defend themselves... and you are OBVIOUSLY not OK with that.

Why is that, Princess?

I don't think there was anything else in Chris Harper Mercers home that he could have killed 9 people with. At least not all at the same time. Yeah, he might have stabbed one person or hit one person with a baseball bat before everyone else mobbed his sorry ass.
Timothy McVeigh might disagree with you.

And what did gun prohibition actually provide to Harper's victims for their self defense?

Nothing.

Precisely as intended.

Let's say we accept your ridiculous assertion that "...Kleck has been debunked...", what you fail to grasp in your total ignorance of all things related to this subject is that the study that 2aguy is citing was also conducted with David Hemenway; who apparently had no problem with the design or execution of the study... until it's obvious conclusions failed to support his prejudice against gun ownership.

Actually, Hemenway is the guy who pointed out the bullshit methodology of Kleck's study, not the least of which is he used much too small of a sample.

The FBI has a study called NCVS that interviews

According to the NCVS, looking at the total number of self-protective behaviors undertaken by victims of both attempted and completed violent crime for the fiveyear period 2007 through 2011, in only 0.8 percent of these instances had the intended victim in resistance to a criminal “threatened or attacked with a firearm.”11 As detailed in the chart on the next page, for the five-year period 2007 through 2011, the NCVS estimates that there were 29,618,300 victims of attempted or completed violent crime. During this same five-year period, only 235,700 of the self-protective behaviors involved a firearm. Of this number, it is not known what type of firearm was used or whether it was fired or not. The number may also include off-duty law enforcement officers who use their firearms in self-defense

Did you get that, Spanky? only 47K a year DGU's. And that includes off duty cops.
Clinton wasn't President in 2007. Wrong study, Princess.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back