Why does belief in God require a religion?

My parents were devout Christians and good parents. They took me to Church, baptized me etc but there were too many things about Christianity that didn't make sense to me. I believe there is a God, but more in the vein of Intelligent Design. I see a lot of problems with formalized religion, both past and present and question whether they do more good or cause more harm in the world.
I was a Christian but no longer believe in it. I do believe in God though, too much wouldn't make sense otherwise. I have no other beliefs about him/it though. I choose to not believe things just because I want to.
What does that mean? You know God exists, but you don't trust him/her? Or are you down on religion and it hinders your faith?

I know God exists because there is too much evidence to discount God's existence. I don't mean to offend you or anyone of faith, I just don't understand the concept of a 'personal God'. I see a great intelligence beyond what I can conceive that created everything, but I don't understand why that entity would bother intervening in the day to day minutia of human life.

Forum List

Back