Zone1 Why do you need gods?

No, you can make up even MORE stuff with your imagination.
At the heart of this debate is whether or not the material world was created by spirit. If the material world were not created by spirit, then everything which has occurred since the beginning of space and time are products of the material world. Everything which is incorporeal proceeded from the corporeal. There is no middle ground. There is no other option. Either the material world was created by spirit or it wasn't. All other options will simplify to one of these two lowest common denominators which are mutually exclusive.

So you need to start from that position and examine the evidence you have at your disposal which is creation itself. Specifically, the laws of nature; physical, biological and moral. And how space and time has evolved. And how you perceive God. If you perceive God as a fairytale then everything examine will be skewed to that.

My moral compass does NOT require someone to tell me that it is wrong to commit genocide. I wouldn't have to have ANYONE tell me that.
You are proving my point. Every argument you make is a moral argument. It's as inexplicable as a universe popping into existence being hardwired to produce intelligence. You can't abandon your sense of right and wrong because it is hardwired into you. That's not an accident.

Hey ding and Meriweather : I apologize for triggering you both so badly. I understand talking about faith is often difficult for many people.

Apologies if I threatened your faith or anything like that. It's your faith. You are free to have it. I would never want to take it from you.

I just like debating religion. But if you don't have any RULES then the debate falls flat. If God can literally be anything we want I see no real "value". But I understand that for many people God is a flexible being that fits and conforms to our every knock and cranny. We have to make God pleasing to us in some ways. I think all people do that.

The reason I brought up the BIBLE was because the Bible is the core document of the faith. Sure we can all make up whatever we want about God. And tell others and together people make a God that matches the morality of the times.

Suddenly today God loves gay people. But the OT God was of the opinion that they practiced abomination. Even going so far as to command their DEATH (Lev 20:13). I personally like the new God who loves Gay people! I like the new God who DOESN'T strike people dead when they dare to keep the Ark of the Covenant from hitting the ground. I know ding likes God's new view on Onan.

So just so you know I actually DO like your version of Catholicism. It's modern, it's decent and it doesn't seem to require much heavy lifting.

Just be aware that there are a lot of people who have read deeply in theology and philosophy who might have a different view than you do. When you encounter those people I recommend having, on hand, an example where you work through your exegeses so that it is more than just some handwaving.

View attachment 688991
Moses holding the Ten Commandments on the east exterior of the Supreme Court in Washington, D.C.

bing -

1661874165792.png

the original had horns on his head, did they miss a little they put little stick objects all mover the place ... have you found the tablets yet, or wearing a hat to hide your horns ...

moses was a murderer, your kind of guy. a liar.

I understand talking about faith is often difficult for many people.

Apologies if I threatened your faith or anything like that.
Talking about faith is not difficult. No need to apologize for any "threatening" because you did not come even close to being threatening, and I find it amazing you think you may have been.

Cardinal, you weren't listening. You manufactured what you thought you heard and then leaped to many empty-headed conclusions. You weren't even talking to me, so no need to apologize to me at all.

So just so you know I actually DO like your version of Catholicism.
Sigh. No you like the version of Catholicism you thought up while talking to some invisible foe which is not me. What I say about Catholicism comes straight out of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. I don't know where you came up with what you had been previously thinking about Catholicism, but I suspect from the same place you came up with what you call my "version". Outside of your own mind, neither exists.

Sigh. No you like the version of Catholicism you thought up while talking to some invisible foe which is not me. What I say about Catholicism comes straight out of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. I don't know where you came up with what you had been previously thinking about Catholicism, but I suspect from the same place you came up with what you call my "version". Outside of your own mind, neither exists.

But you understand that I'm not the one here paring out bits and pieces of the Bible and tossing them aside.

Even in Catholicism the BIble is key.

You DO seem to have taken a sui generis approach to God. My apologies if that is not the case, but I can only read what you write.

Hey ding and Meriweather : I apologize for triggering you both so badly. I understand talking about faith is often difficult for many people.

Apologies if I threatened your faith or anything like that. It's your faith. You are free to have it. I would never want to take it from you.

I just like debating religion. But if you don't have any RULES then the debate falls flat. If God can literally be anything we want I see no real "value". But I understand that for many people God is a flexible being that fits and conforms to our every knock and cranny. We have to make God pleasing to us in some ways. I think all people do that.

The reason I brought up the BIBLE was because the Bible is the core document of the faith. Sure we can all make up whatever we want about God. And tell others and together people make a God that matches the morality of the times.

Suddenly today God loves gay people. But the OT God was of the opinion that they practiced abomination. Even going so far as to command their DEATH (Lev 20:13). I personally like the new God who loves Gay people! I like the new God who DOESN'T strike people dead when they dare to keep the Ark of the Covenant from hitting the ground. I know ding likes God's new view on Onan.

So just so you know I actually DO like your version of Catholicism. It's modern, it's decent and it doesn't seem to require much heavy lifting.

Just be aware that there are a lot of people who have read deeply in theology and philosophy who might have a different view than you do. When you encounter those people I recommend having, on hand, an example where you work through your exegeses so that it is more than just some handwaving.
Kinda seems like you are the one who got triggered.

I honestly at times wish I was talking to smarter people so you'd understand that point. But you aren't. Which is sad.)

I honestly wish you were smarter or more educated or had more experience discussing topics like religion.

You really are about the least well read human I've met who can type.

As per usual you talk loudly and extremely ignorantly.

I find it fascinating to see how little actual education you have.

In educated circles we OFTEN discuss topics based on the rules of the topic.

(Maybe you should read the bible for yourself.)

I doubt it very highly. You don't seem to be "disciplined" enough intellectually.

Elevate your game.
1661875705129.png

Forum List

Back