Why do they still make 38 special revolvers?

A friend of mine loves his J frame .38.

Personally I'm not much for revolvers and prefer a Glock or a Sig

38 special is a very popular target round, competition. Shoot a shorter 38 special in a 357 and you get nasty "ringing" fouling of lead and powder, pretty hard to clean well. Rev chambered in 38 sp for people only shoot 38 sp.
I haven't noticed that as I clean mine after each use. fresh undies on it too!

My revolver doesn't.
They come out still in the moon clip which is easy to pocket.
I used a speed loader but I was taught how to load and fire as fast and accurately as possible. Wasting time putting spent cartridges in a pocket can mean the difference in getting shot or not.

I used a speed loader but I was taught how to load and fire as fast and accurately as possible. Wasting time putting spent cartridges in a pocket can mean the difference in getting shot or not.

No reason you couldnt dump the moon clip on the ground after a reload and pick it up once you have a few seconds.
Now dumping a magazine from your semi auto would get pretty expensive, I have hundreds of moon clips so no big loss if I did leave one behind.
So in essence pocketing a moon clip takes no longer than pocketing a magazine. In fact I wouldnt have a problem leaving a moon clip behind.

No reason you couldnt dump the moon clip on the ground after a reload and pick it up once you have a few seconds.
Now dumping a magazine from your semi auto would get pretty expensive, I have hundreds of moon clips so no big loss if I did leave one behind.
So in essence pocketing a moon clip takes no longer than pocketing a magazine. In fact I wouldnt have a problem leaving a moon clip behind.
We were also taught to dump the mag, in a firefight an empty mag isn't going to do you any good. I was trained to fight with my weapons and way back when .38s were the king they wanted to know why so many cops were killed or wounded in firefights. They found out the cops had been doing what they were taught to do, pocket their spent cartridges wasting valuable fractions of seconds. Muscle memory in a firefight is paramount, it takes over and controls what you do. Empty cartridges and magazines are of no use in such scenarios, if you survive you can always pick up your empty mags.
Train like you fight, fight like you train.

We were also taught to dump the mag, in a firefight an empty mag isn't going to do you any good. I was trained to fight with my weapons and way back when .38s were the king they wanted to know why so many cops were killed or wounded in firefights. They found out the cops had been doing what they were taught to do, pocket their spent cartridges wasting valuable fractions of seconds. Muscle memory in a firefight is paramount, it takes over and controls what you do. Empty cartridges and magazines are of no use in such scenarios, if you survive you can always pick up your empty mags.

If you have unlimited magazines thats one thing.
If say in a SHTF scenario you need all the mags you can get,which means not dumping them on the ground and leaving them.

Pocketing a moon clip takes no longer than pocketing a mag.
Of course if you're in a firefight you dont give a shit about empty mags or moon clips.
Unless you dont have the ability to replace a magazine down the road.
Moon clips on the other hand are cheap and losing a few isnt a big deal.

If you have unlimited magazines thats one thing.
If say in a SHTF scenario you need all the mags you can get,which means not dumping them on the ground and leaving them.

Pocketing a moon clip takes no longer than pocketing a mag.
Of course if you're in a firefight you dont give a shit about empty mags or moon clips.
Unless you dont have the ability to replace a magazine down the road.
Moon clips on the other hand are cheap and losing a few isnt a big deal.
Mags and moon clips are still cheaper than hospital and doctors bills............ What's your life worth? Fractions of seconds matter in a firefight.

As I said,if you're in the middle of a firefight magazines and moon clips are the least of your worries.
I think you're missing my point. In a firefight your muscle memory takes over, if when training at a range and putting the moon clips and mags in your pocket this is the muscle memory you will develop and that's exactly what you will do in a firefight. There are no ifs, ands or buts about that, it's been proven over and over again and again.
That's my point.

I think you're missing my point. In a firefight your muscle memory takes over, if when training at a range and putting the moon clips and mags in your pocket this is the muscle memory you will develop and that's exactly what you will do in a firefight. There are no ifs, ands or buts about that, it's been proven over and over again and again.
That's my point.

Nah...picking up your moon clips or magazines is going to be the last thing on your mind.
When I practice loading my revolver or my pistol I drop my shit and it lays where it falls,just like you'd do in competitive shooting.

Nah...picking up your moon clips or magazines is going to be the last thing on your mind.
When I practice loading my revolver or my pistol I drop my shit and it lays where it falls,just like you'd do in competitive shooting.
Sounded like you were arguing the opposite. No problem.

A friend of mine loves his J frame .38.

Personally I'm not much for revolvers and prefer a Glock or a Sig

Myself.
However after learning how to reload a revolver with moon clips I'm not as anti revolver as I used to be.
And the pistol has the advantage over the revolver when it comes to extra ammo.
Not only does a magazine hold more rounds they fit in the pocket far better than a speed loader or moon clips.
If you jam a loaded moon clip in your pocket you're likely to pull it out and find half of the rounds loose in your pocket..
For moon clips to be effective you have to carry them in a belt holster specifically designed for moon clips or loose in a jacket pocket.

My pistols have no decocker. 1911's have a safety that sits right where your thumb is when you grip the pistol.

I have never been all that fond of a safety on a handgun. I practiced a lot for a Colt 1911 .45 ACP and would always have the safety engaged when I picked up the weapon to shoot a string at the pistol range.

Once I had May daughter time me while I was drawing and shooting at a silhouette target as it was returning to the firing line from 21 feet out. I forgot to drop the safety and had the target had a knife, I would have been stabbed.

My daughter laughed and said, “That’s why you should use a revolver, dad.”

Revolvers are an example of the KISS principal. (Keep it simple, stupid.)

Always keep in mind Murphy’s Law. The version I like is What ever can go wrong will go wrong at the worst possible time.”

For a while I used to carry a Beretta Centurion double action only pistol. That weapon had no safety but was heavy and uncomfortable to carry concealed. I replaced it with a S&W Model 642 revolver which is very light and easy to carry.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back