Why do they still make 38 special revolvers?

I read a review on the FNX .45 pistol you discussed and it mentioned a decocker safety. Plus the image you posted clearly shows a safety. The weapon must be available without the safety, although I didn’t find that mentioned on several gun dealer sites.

View attachment 678021

***snip***​

Don’t forget that safety…

On this particular firearm, the decocker is the safety, and has three positions. Push it fully up for safe mode, to the middle for firing mode, and all the way down to decock the pistol.

I have never been all that fond of a safety on a handgun. I practiced a lot for a Colt 1911 .45 ACP and would always have the safety engaged when I picked up the weapon to shoot a string at the pistol range.

Once I had May daughter time me while I was drawing and shooting at a silhouette target as it was returning to the firing line from 21 feet out. I forgot to drop the safety and had the target had a knife, I would have been stabbed.

My daughter laughed and said, “That’s why you should use a revolver, dad.”

Revolvers are an example of the KISS principal. (Keep it simple, stupid.)

Always keep in mind Murphy’s Law. The version I like is What ever can go wrong will go wrong at the worst possible time.”
I haven't posted any images in this thread.

I have never been all that fond of a safety on a handgun. I practiced a lot for a Colt 1911 .45 ACP and would always have the safety engaged when I picked up the weapon to shoot a string at the pistol range.

Once I had May daughter time me while I was drawing and shooting at a silhouette target as it was returning to the firing line from 21 feet out. I forgot to drop the safety and had the target had a knife, I would have been stabbed.

My daughter laughed and said, “That’s why you should use a revolver, dad.”

Revolvers are an example of the KISS principal. (Keep it simple, stupid.)

Always keep in mind Murphy’s Law. The version I like is What ever can go wrong will go wrong at the worst possible time.”

For a while I used to carry a Beretta Centurion double action only pistol. That weapon had no safety but was heavy and uncomfortable to carry concealed. I replaced it with a S&W Model 642 revolver which is very light and easy to carry.

If it were me I'd rather have the semi auto.
As I told you before my FNX has never failed to go boom and thats with thousands of rounds through it.. And if it were going to fail it wouldnt be with one in the pipe it would be going through the auto cycle which again has never happened.
The plus side of having 16 rounds over 6 is obvious. I can keep your head down and advance on your position or I can run away while you reload.

If it were me I'd rather have the semi auto.
As I told you before my FNX has never failed to go boom and thats with thousands of rounds through it.. And if it were going to fail it wouldnt be with one in the pipe it would be going through the auto cycle which again has never happened.
The plus side of having 16 rounds over 6 is obvious. I can keep your head down and advance on your position or I can run away while you reload.
Over the years the reliability of semi-auto pistols has really improved.

For several years I carried a double action only Beretta Centurion in 40 S&W. It had no safety which I preferred. The only time it malfunctioned after thousands of rounds was the fault of the ammo.

With a pistol when I change to a different brand of ammo I try to run 100 rounds though the weapon before I use it as my carry ammo. I don’t want to see more than one failure.

I was doing this with a new brand of ammo when my Beretta malfunctioned. I found the ammo case had split at the base leaving a section of brass in the barrel. I figured it was just a rare occurrence and went on shooting and then the same thing happened again.

I returned the remainder of the ammo to the dealer and explained the issue to him. I got a refund and he informed the manufacturer of the problem.

Eventually I decided to carry a S&W Model 642 snub nosed revolver when it was first rated to handle .38+P ammo. Much more comfortable to carry concealed but it is true you can’t fill the sir with lead like you can with a high capacity pistol. However since you are responsible for every round you fire, it may be a good plan to try to make every shot count.

Grip safety and slide safety.
The grip safety is just below the hammer on the grip--if it is not depressed, the weapon will not fire as it blocks the trigger from being depressed. The slide safety works if the barrel of the weapon is pressed into an object which pushes the slide to the rear. If this happens the hammer will not be released.

The grip safety is just below the hammer on the grip--if it is not depressed, the weapon will not fire as it blocks the trigger from being depressed. The slide safety works if the barrel of the weapon is pressed into an object which pushes the slide to the rear. If this happens the hammer will not be released.
That's where they are on mine too! But some 1911's have a bug in the grip safety. If you hold the hammer all the back and pull the trigger you can fire it without depressing the grip safety.

Over the years the reliability of semi-auto pistols has really improved.

For several years I carried a double action only Beretta Centurion in 40 S&W. It had no safety which I preferred. The only time it malfunctioned after thousands of rounds was the fault of the ammo.

With a pistol when I change to a different brand of ammo I try to run 100 rounds though the weapon before I use it as my carry ammo. I don’t want to see more than one failure.

I was doing this with a new brand of ammo when my Beretta malfunctioned. I found the ammo case had split at the base leaving a section of brass in the barrel. I figured it was just a rare occurrence and went on shooting and then the same thing happened again.

I returned the remainder of the ammo to the dealer and explained the issue to him. I got a refund and he informed the manufacturer of the problem.

Eventually I decided to carry a S&W Model 642 snub nosed revolver when it was first rated to handle .38+P ammo. Much more comfortable to carry concealed but it is true you can’t fill the sir with lead like you can with a high capacity pistol. However since you are responsible for every round you fire, it may be a good plan to try to make every shot count.

Well dont use the faulty ammo.

It is always a good idea to check out ammo you have never fired in your gun before you carry it for self defense.
Absolutely. Even with revolvers, the POI changes with different bullet weights and you better shoot your carry loads to know your aim point or adjust the elevation (if adjustable sights).

Autos just don't feed all ammunition equally- my Sig 220 couldn't digest the 200gr. CCI HP's worth a crap. It had a nasty habit of stuffing the bullet into the case.

One thing I like about Berettas, the gigantic ejection port makes stovepipes almost impossible. Still have to verify the feed cycle regardless. My EDC is a 84FS.

That's what I do too. Recently got Hellcat delivered and it instantly started jamming with Aguila I've had. Took detour and picked up CCI - no jams for 200 rounds. Guess I'm sticking to CCI

That's what I do too. Recently got Hellcat delivered and it instantly started jamming with Aguila I've had. Took detour and picked up CCI - no jams for 200 rounds. Guess I'm sticking to CCI
One advantage a revolver has is that it is not as picky about firing ammo as a pistol. Round nose, hollow point, lead or jacketed it really doesn’t seem to matter.

However one time I tried some hot factory ammo in a 9 mm revolver and found it was extremely hard to extract after firing a cylinder full. Therefore it is still a good idea to try new ammo in a revolver before you use it for your EDC ammo. I usually fire a couple cylinders of new ammo full through a revolver to test it.

One advantage a revolver has is that it is not as picky about firing ammo as a pistol. Round nose, hollow point, lead or jacketed it really doesn’t seem to matter.
Yeah you really need to spend time and find what fits your new carry most of the time when it comes to pistols. I've always liked revolvers, maybe I should just practice a bit with 'em and give it a spin.

However one time I tried some hot factory ammo in a 9 mm revolver and found it was extremely hard to extract after firing a cylinder full
That means they were overloads usually.

Small, simple, cheap, effective enough, doesn't leave brass lying around, doesn't destroy your ears if you have to use it indoors, more simple to load and unload, almost never jam, attract less attention from LE than a Glock does, very versatile with lots of ammo choices Many good reasons.

ill never forget the time I dropped my Smith & Wesson Shield in the surf while frolicking at the beach. It was filled with sand and useless, and I couldnt/wouldn't fix it in a hotel room with a live round in the chamber. I had to wait until we were done with our vacation and fix it at home. If I had been carrying a revolver that day it likely would have been an easy fairly safe fix.

That means they were overloads usually.
As I remember they were hot 9mm +P. They were hard to remove from a S&W Model 940 J Frame revolver which is longer in production. Regular 9mm were easy to extract.

Keep in mind the Model 940 uses a moon clip to hold the ammo so I was trying to drop 5 rounds from the cylinder at the same time.

As I remember they were hot 9mm +P. They were hard to remove from a S&W Model 940 J Frame revolver which is longer in production. Regular 9mm were easy to extract.

Keep in mind the Model 940 uses a moon clip to hold the ammo so I was trying to drop 5 rounds from the cylinder at the same time.
Sounds like they were loaded too hot. I used to reload a lot and as you worked up a load when you over did it the cases would be hard to extract. Look at the primers and see if they were flattened, if so that's a definite tell.

This one in pretty normal:
1660334078740.png

This one is pretty flattened. An overload:

1660334247886.png

Yeah you really need to spend time and find what fits your new carry most of the time when it comes to pistols. I've always liked revolvers, maybe I should just practice a bit with 'em and give it a spin.
For self defense with a revolver it is best to master double action shooting rather than cocking the weapon. For one thing the trigger pull is much heavier on a DOA revolver so you will not fire it by accident when your adrenaline is flowing. Nor will the prosecution be able to insinuate you may have if legal action is involved.

A revolver also has other advantages. You can fire it through a jacket pocket or a purse and it will not jam. You can also ram it into an attackers stomach and it will still fire. A pistol would jam if fired through a pocket or be “out of battery” and not fire if you tried to use it as a belly gun.

The S&W Model 642 which I carry is a double action only revolver. The advantage is if you carry it in a pocket holster it is easy to draw with nothing to snag on your pants. However double action shooting does take practice, lots of practice and the model 642 is a very light weapon so the recoil is very noticeable.

1660334096808.jpeg

New Topics

Forum List

Back