Why do they still make 38 special revolvers?

The Hillary hole as they call it can be disabled and there's a plug you can purchase to go into the Hillary hole.
I actually bought my S&W Model 642 before the lock. I would be somewhat hesitant to carry a S&W with such a lock that fires +P or magnum ammo as I believe in Murphy’s laws.

Plus some say Murphy was an optimist.

1681530246901.jpeg

I can't see any good reason why they do it. You can shoot 38 ammo in a 357 and they make small 357 revolvers. I even have a small one. I just don't see why they make the 38 special unless they just want get as much money as they can.

Why do they still make 38 special revolvers?​

Because 37 wasn't enough and 39 was too many.

But seriously ... I have a little S&W 638-3 .38 Special Revolver with an aluminum body. Small enough to carry in my back pocket. Semi-shrouded hammer. It's only a 5 shot, so I recently bought a Springfield Hellcat 9mm which also fits in my back pocket. Only, instead of 5 rounds ... it holds 13 rounds.

I actually bought my S&W Model 642 before the lock. I would be somewhat hesitant to carry a S&W with such a lock that fires +P or magnum ammo as I believe in Murphy’s laws.

Plus some say Murphy was an optimist.

View attachment 776498

Havent had an issue.
And if you disable the hillary hole I dont see the problem.
Oh....my 610 wasn't a 10mm Magnum to start out I had the cylinder reamed to fit the magnum rounds.
It being the N frame it'll handle the extra pressure without issue.
It's a common modification with the 610 and I've never seen or heard about a failure.

Havent had an issue.
And if you disable the hillary hole I dont see the problem.
Oh....my 610 wasn't a 10mm Magnum to start out I had the cylinder reamed to fit the magnum rounds.
It being the N frame it'll handle the extra pressure without issue.
It's a common modification with the 610 and I've never seen or heard about a failure.
No problem as long as you keep the weapon. There may be a slight possibility of being sued if you sell the weapon after removing a safety feature. If you used the weapon in self defense the fact that you removed the lock should be irrelevant as it would have to be unlocked to be used.

The subject is discussed here:

No problem as long as you keep the weapon. There may be a slight possibility of being sued if you sell the weapon after removing a safety feature. If you used the weapon in self defense the fact that you removed the lock should be irrelevant as it would have to be unlocked to be used.

The subject is discussed here:

I dont sell nice firearms that I've purchased.
And if they can sue me for modifying it I can sue those that made it possible.
Besides they cant sue me unless they can prove that disabling the hillary hole caused me to kill someone.
Which of course is ridiculous when you consider glocks have no safety at all.

Besides they cant sue me unless they can prove that disabling the hillary hole caused me to kill someone.
Most revolvers have no safety. That’s what makes them a good choice for self defense.

Often an attack surprises you. You fear for your life or health and grab your weapon. If it is like most revolvers you simply point the weapon at the attacker and pull the trigger. If the weapon has a safety you have to remember to disengage it. Murphy’s Laws may step in and cause you to forget.

A revolver without a safety is an example of the KISS principle….Keep It Simple Stupid.

Glocks have safeties. They are deactivated by your finger on the trigger.

Most revolvers have no safety. That’s what makes them a good choice for self defense.

Often an attack surprises you. You fear for your life or health and grab your weapon. If it is like most revolvers you simply point the weapon at the attacker and pull the trigger. If the weapon has a safety you have to remember to disengage it. Murphy’s Laws may step in and cause you to forget.

A revolver without a safety is an example of the KISS principle….Keep It Simple Stupid.

I've never engaged it and I never will.
Besides,the revolver is strictly for hunting and target shooting.
These are my personal defense handguns.

PXNV6637.jpeg

And of course I have the AR and an 870 sawed off to just over legal.
IMG_0643.jpeg

Glocks have safeties. They are deactivated by your finger on the trigger.

It's not much of a safety..
If it's locked and loaded and your finger is on the trigger you run the risk of an accidental discharge.
There's a chick who owns a gun store on YouTube who says many people have actually returned Glocks for that very reason.

If it's locked and loaded and your finger is on the trigger you run the risk of an accidental discharge.
There's a chick who owns a gun store on YouTube who says many people have actually returned Glocks for that very reason.
That's the main reason I didn't like them. However I just traded for a s&w mp 9 that's works just like a Glock. I didn't notice it did not have a safety I could apply. Oh well.

That's the main reason I didn't like them. However I just traded for a s&w mp 9 that's works just like a Glock. I didn't notice it did not have a safety I could apply. Oh well.

While it's a good idea to have a safety it wouldnt be a deal breaker if I liked the gun enough.
Of course letting your buddy shoot it would make a guy a little nervous.
Thats why I got rid of my binary trigger,it's an accident waiting to happen.

While it's a good idea to have a safety it wouldnt be a deal breaker if I liked the gun enough.
Of course letting your buddy shoot it would make a guy a little nervous.
Thats why I got rid of my binary trigger,it's an accident waiting to happen.
I holds 16 rounds so that was the reason I wanted it. I'll just have to be careful and I already have a holster that covers the trigger.

You can change out the stock Glock trigger for a target trigger. That may be a bad idea on a self defense Glock. You may not realize how much pressure you have on the trigger when the adrenaline is flowing.

Of course you should keep your finger off the trigger of an Glock unless you want to hear a loud noise.

.38 Spl. is nothing to be sneezed at, at close range. Jack Ruby shot and killed Lee Harvey Oswald with one shot to the gut from a Colt Cobra similar to this one I have. I bought this '64 model several years ago at a garage sale for $20. I replaced the original wooden grips with a set of Pachmayr grip. For having a 2" barrel, it groups pretty tight at 25 yards with 148 grain wadcutters. I wear this puppy if I'm walking down to the mailbox or going to the township dump, and don't want to strap on my Glock 19. It has an alloy frame, so I can't load my ammo up to +P pressures, only standard pressure loads running around 925 fps.

cobra1.jpg

cobra2.jpg

cobra3.jpg

I've never engaged it and I never will.
Besides,the revolver is strictly for hunting and target shooting.
These are my personal defense handguns.

View attachment 776651
And of course I have the AR and an 870 sawed off to just over legal.View attachment 776652
Nice collection. Here are my two, conceal carry handguns:

Handgun 6 4-15-23.jpeg
Handgun 5 4-15-23.jpeg

Handgun 2 4-15-23.jpeg

Handgun 1 4-15-23.jpeg

Here are my two Wather PDPs. Larger and less concealable but awesome guns:
Handgun 3 4-15-23.jpeg

Attachments

• Handgun 2 4-15-23.jpeg
    Handgun 2 4-15-23.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 8
I can't see any good reason why they do it. You can shoot 38 ammo in a 357 and they make small 357 revolvers. I even have a small one. I just don't see why they make the 38 special unless they just want get as much money as they can.
Before most police started to carry hi-cap pistols, some police departments opposed officers carrying revolvers capable of shooting .357 Magnum rounds so Smith & Wesson made some .38 Special revolvers. I bought a used one years ago and it was a very nice revolver that had an excellent trigger job performed on it at one time.

Forum List

Back