Why do they still make 38 special revolvers?

For me, the heavier weight makes it harder to aim and hold steady, and even so the recoil is greater IMHO. I still have both guns though, if I have to start shooting I'm going to fire the .357 first cuz that thing is LOUD and should scare the shit outta anybody in the house. But after that 1st shot I'll switch to the .38 if I have time.
We have 3 357 magnums. One is a lady smith and Wesson model 65-5. It has engraved on it "Lady Smith". One time I got "caught" shooting it at a range and was asked why a big ole boy like me was shooting a ladies gun? I said "still a 357" and he said yeah you got that right. He ran off so I wouldn't kill him with a ladies gun I guess! ;)

38 ammo is not as accurate out of the 357. 38 is easily concealed , easy to pull and leaves no brass on the scene.
Yeah, my 357 Magnum does leave that pesky brass everywhere. As far as your accuracy claim, :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg:

Plus my 38 +p was very close to the size my Ruger 357 is. Concealing either is not a problem.

The price is essentially the same for both handguns.
Now your post really doesnt make sense.
I do know that some police departments forbid the use of .357 revolvers years ago before transferring to 9mm pistols.

Some people who are not gun enthusiasts may not understand the you can shoot .38 special ammo in a .357 magnum revolver. They may therefore feel a .357 Magnum revolver would be too powerful for them and buy the .38 special revolver.

Some people who are not gun enthusiasts may not understand the you can shoot .38 special ammo in a .357 magnum revolver. They may therefore feel a .357 Magnum revolver would be too powerful for them and buy the .38 special revolver.
I want you to hunt all those people down and lock them up!!!

At Sports Academy you can get a .38 Special (not +P) for a bit less that a .357 revolver. Back in the day I bought a .38 (not +P) revolver cuz it is very dependable, lower cost for the gun and the ammo, and it has a bit less recoil. I can get more shots off sooner with the .38 cuz that frickin' .357 is a damn cannon. Don't really need the extra power of the .357, if I gotta start shooting I don't want to kill somebody in the house next door.

Shoot hollow points.

38 ammo is not as accurate out of the 357. 38 is easily concealed , easy to pull and leaves no brass on the scene. I like them not that I carry a pistol much these days. Where I live is nearly crime free. I leave thousands of dollars in tackle on boat most the time. It's always there in the morning.

WTF are you talking about?
Why would the .357 leave brass on the ground?
You can buy a .357 that is for all intents and purposes the same size as the .38

Sorry guys, i dont have a .357 magnum because i wanted at the time, the most powerful handgun made.

I've thought about getting an S&W .500 mag.
Still thinking about it to be honest.It would be more of a novelty gun really.
Fun to pull out at camp with your buddies with an evil grin and ask if they want to shoot some 700 grain.

I do know that some police departments forbid the use of .357 revolvers years ago before transferring to 9mm pistols.

They still allow them to carry the .357 but most cops want more capacity.

You can shoot the .38 special ammo in a .357 but you cant shoot a .357 in a .38. Maybe it is the cost to the customer who wants to shoot. The .38 ammo is almost as powerful as the .357 magnum.

I think you are mistaken. I believe the 357 has a larger powder charge, greater muzzle velocity and double the maximum psi of the 38 special round. However, the diameter of both rounds is .357. The 357 round is about 1/8" longer.

In an S&W the N-frame is considered one of the heavy frames though they do get heavier when you start stepping up to the really big calibers.
The S&W has the .44 magnum,the.357 magnum and the .45 in the N-frame and of course the 10mm 610-3.
The .38 is a K-frame which is very close in size to the N-frame.

At least one dept. that I know allowed their officers to carry .38 special, 9 mm or .45. Many in this department chose the .45 because of superior knock down power.

357 is leaps ahead of 38 in power. Imo there is no real reason to make the 38 guns.

Lol, you can't even comprehend what was said in the op. Not a clue.
Mike, do you even have a clue as to what question you asked? Read your title. It's the only question you asked and I answered it.

Here is your question/title...

Why do they still make 38 special revolvers?​

Can you explain your ignorance?

Yeah, my 357 Magnum does leave that pesky brass everywhere. As far as your accuracy claim, :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg: :auiqs.jpg:

Plus my 38 +p was very close to the size my Ruger 357 is. Concealing either is not a problem.
"Yeah, my 357 Magnum does leave that pesky brass everywhere"

What gun would that be? Desert Eagle?

HereWeGoAgain why the disagreement??

I have three 38's and two 357's and one of them has the same barrel length as the 357 and its a lot lighter and much smaller than the 357,,,

HereWeGoAgain why the disagreement??

I have three 38's and two 357's and one of them has the same barrel length as the 357 and its a lot lighter and much smaller than the 357,,,

The N-frame and the K-frame are very close to the same size and weight.
There's really not enough difference to pick one over the other.

The .38 weighs about a lb less which isnt a big deal.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back