Why do so many people deny climate change

Damn you're stupid.

A common reason that people deny climate change appears to be mistaken understanding of how the economy functions which leads them to believe that any efforts to mitigate climate change will result in less money in their pockets.

A common suggestion is a crbon tax. A carbon tax will result in less money in my pocket.

Who are these "Obama cronies" that you imagine and assume?

George Kaiser and Steve Westly were a couple.

common suggestion is a carbon tax. A carbon tax will result in less money in my pocket.

Prove that, because you are assuming.

Raising the cost of gasoline, diesel, coal and natural gas won't take money out of my pocket?

You're funny.

Here is the real dollar price of gasoline from 1990 to 2013

Why did the price go down to 1995 level in 2009. Are you saying that it suddenly got that much cheaper to make gasoline?

Raising the cost of gasoline, diesel, coal and natural gas won't take money out of my pocket?

You're funny.

You are assuming that the cost of gasoline, diesel, coal and natural gas will go up.

Your assumption that the price of a barrel of oil will simply increase is hilarious. You're just full of assumptions.

Your assumption that the price of a barrel of oil will simply increase is hilarious.

I didn't mention oil. I guess it would depend on the point where the tax is levied.

Do you assume an added tax of, hell, shoot for the moon, $1 a gallon, won't raise the price of gas?

I'm not assuming anything. You are.

In case you missed it,

So, gasoline suddenly became cheaper to make in 2009? It was, all of a sudden, $2+ cheaper?

Last edited:
common suggestion is a carbon tax. A carbon tax will result in less money in my pocket.

You're funny.

You are assuming that the cost of gasoline, diesel, coal and natural gas will go up.

Your assumption that the price of a barrel of oil will simply increase is hilarious.

He's not assuming anything. He simply understands the laws of economics. You obviously don't. Prices are always driven down to the marginal cost of producing a product. That cost includes excise taxes, such as the carbon tax.

The economics you operate under are just another hoax. They're a con.

You're funny.

Why did the price go down to 1995 level in 2009. Are you saying that it suddenly got that much cheaper to make gasoline?

There was a deep recession in 2009.

Is your plan to levy a large carbon tax and cause a deep recession so that prices drop?

You're funny.

Your assumption that the price of a barrel of oil will simply increase is hilarious. You're just full of assumptions.

The whole point of the carbon tax is to increase the price of fossil fuels. If it didn't raise the price, then it wouldn't cause consumption to decrease.

What do you imagine is the purpose of the carbon tax, to provide money for politicians to play with? Yes, that's true. but that's not the reason the members of the AGW cult use to justify it.

You're funny.

I didn't mention oil. I guess it would depend on the point where the tax is levied.

Do you assume an added tax of, hell, shoot for the moon, $1 a gallon, won't raise the price of gas?

I didn't mention oil.

Now you are just being dumb on purpose. Gasoline is made out of oil. You know this, right?

I didn't mention oil.

Now you are just being dumb on purpose. Gasoline is made out of oil. You know this, right?

I didn't mention oil. If you think a carbon tax on oil wouldn't raise the price of oil, say it.

I didn't mention oil.

I didn't mention oil. If you think a carbon tax on oil wouldn't raise the price of oil, say it.

Gasoline is made out of oil.

And the point is perfectly clear. Prices go up and down for absolutely no reason except that suppliers can charge you for it. The 2009 drop from $4.25 to $1.75, the subsequent climb to $4.00 again had nothing to do with manufacturing costs or taxes. You cannot spend money you don't have and prices will rise to consume the money you do. The only real effect is if you make a shit load more than everyone else. And I am quite sure you aren't in Warren Buffet's income range.

You are fooling yourself if you think that lower taxes means more money in your pocket. It doesn't and that is perfectly obvious from the national average gasoline price drop of $2.50. The price fell because people didn't have the money and it went back up again when they did.

The single greatest factor in market prices is how much money people have to spend. The second greatest factor is what the prices are of all the other products. The economy and prices is a game of who is going to get how much of your wallet. Prices rise to consume all of your money.

If the average consumer doesn't have the money to spend, prices won't go up. Just because a tax is levied doesn't mean that prices will go up.

And this is the history of the average consumer's pocket book. This is the relative income levels.

And this is the increase in output, per working person,

Last edited:

You're funny.

He's not assuming anything. He simply understands the laws of economics. You obviously don't. Prices are always driven down to the marginal cost of producing a product. That cost includes excise taxes, such as the carbon tax.

He's an idiot. I knew it before, I didn't realize how deep the stupid goes.

You're funny.

You can live in your fantasy land all you want, but it won't make it true.

What you cannot do is prove your fantasy is true. You never have.

"Prices are always driven down to the marginal cost of producing a product."

No they are not. You are assuming that they are priced at cost.

How much should a hip replacement cost? Study raises more questions than answers - CBS News

They found prices can range from $11,100 to almost $126,000 for the same procedure.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/04/health/for-medical-tourists-simple-math.html?pagewanted=all

While Mr. Shopenn was offered an implant in the United States for $13,000, many privately insured patients are billed two to nearly three times that amount. ... An artificial hip, however, costs only about $350 to manufacture in the United States, according to Dr. Blair Rhode, an orthopedist and entrepreneur whose company is developing generic implants.

And clearly, the price of manufacturing a gallon of gasoline didn't suddenly fall from $4.5 to 1.75.

You have your head shoved so far up your assets that you can't smell the coffee that you are overpaying for.

What Starbucks? $7 coffee is really worth - MarketWatch

What Starbucks’ $7 coffee is really worth
Coffee execs fess up about high profit margins of premium brews

"In fact, an 80% markup is standard in the coffee business on the higher-end brews, he says"

Little of it is at the marginal cost.

You've been sitting in your room, reading the idealized models that we use to compare reality to and stupidly thinking that is describes reality.

The statistical normal distribution is an ideal model that hardly ever occurs.
Newtonian mechanics, F=ma, is and ideal model that seldom occurs.
Micro and Macro economic models are idealized models that hardly ever occur.

They are ideal models for comparison, not descriptions of the real thing.

What do you think PROFIT means? Profit is in excess of costs and salaries.

Last edited:

You're funny.

Price is a function of supply AND demand, not just supply. Although price can fluctuate greatly over the short term as a result of speculation or market conditions, over the long run price converges on the marginal cost of production.

The reason the price of gas went down in 2009 was the fact that we had a world wide recession. That means consumers curtained their consumption of gasoline - a reduction in demand.

Try reading a book on economics.

You can live in your fantasy land all you want, but it won't make it true.

What you cannot do is prove your fantasy is true.

It's not a "fantasy." It's basic economics. I don't have to prove it's true because some great economists have already proven it.

It seems pretty obvious that many are confused about the 'A' in AGW. It really means that we're doing it, so we can stop doing it. This is made more compelling by the simple fact that we have to anyway.

So we gotta do what we gotta do.

We don't "have" to do anything.

And we can't really stop it.

Even if we cut GHG emissions to zero tomorrow, which btw ain't ever gonna happen, we would still see some warming due to the lag in the system.

But you go ahead and believe that we can actually stop 7 billion people from producing GHGs if it helps you not be so afraid.

ifitzme claims he has an engineering degree. he seems to understand a few things about mathamatics, but he's totally adrift on the subject of economics. He made a complete fool of himself claiming the schemes of the AGW cult won't cost us anything. No wonder these nutburgers are so eager to raise taxes. They believe they don't have to pay them. Only corporations will pay them - as if corporations had some bottomless pit of money they use to pay taxes with.

:cuckoo: :cuckoo: :cuckoo:

You're funny.

Price is a function of supply AND demand, not just supply. Although price can fluctuate greatly over the short term as a result of speculation or market conditions, over the long run price converges on the marginal cost of production.

The reason the price of gas went down in 2009 was the fact that we had a world wide recession. That means consumers curtained their consumption of gasoline - a reduction in demand.

I have an MBA and studies graduate economics.

Let me know when you want to discuss reality, instead of assuming that the world works according to ideal models.

ifitzme claims he has an engineering degree. he seems to understand a few things about mathamatics, but he's totally adrift on the subject of economics. He made a complete fool of himself claiming the schemes of the AGW cult won't cost us anything. No wonder these nutburgers are so eager to raise taxes. They believe they don't have to pay them. Only corporations will pay them - as if corporations had some bottomless pit of money they use to pay taxes with.

:cuckoo: :cuckoo: :cuckoo:

You've got nothing.

Do tell, what are the factors that go into the supply curve, the demand curve, and the equilibrium point? What are market imperfections? What is a Nash Equilibrium and what is a Cournot oligopoly of n-firms?

What effect does the Cournot oligopoly have to do with market imperfections and the equilibrium point of the supply and demand curves?

You have a degree in economics. Surely you can explain these things, right?

(What did you say was your degree in? Oh, that's right, you actually can't explain them nor present any data to demonstrate them.)

A common reason that people deny climate change appears to be mistaken understanding of how the economy functions which leads them to believe that any efforts to mitigate climate change will result in less money in their pockets.

ANyone who believes there won't be less money in their pockets is an economic ignoramus. The IPCC is proposing $73 trillion in taxes. How is that not going to reduce the money in my pocket? Wind and solar cost many multiples of what coal fired power plants can produce electricity at. How is that not going to reduce the money in my pocket? Since the year 2000 the price of electicity in German has doubled. 200,000 people had their power cut off because they couldn't afford to pay their power bill. You have to be an idiot to believe that the schemes of the AGW cult will not reduce your standard of living.

So you recommend sticking to FF to the last molecule and paying whatever it costs for the AGW consequences.

Then what?

I have an MBA and studies graduate economics.

Holy crap.
Your school would probably pay big bucks to keep that a secret.

ANyone who believes there won't be less money in their pockets is an economic ignoramus. The IPCC is proposing $73 trillion in taxes. How is that not going to reduce the money in my pocket? Wind and solar cost many multiples of what coal fired power plants can produce electricity at. How is that not going to reduce the money in my pocket? Since the year 2000 the price of electicity in German has doubled. 200,000 people had their power cut off because they couldn't afford to pay their power bill. You have to be an idiot to believe that the schemes of the AGW cult will not reduce your standard of living.

So you recommend sticking to FF to the last molecule and paying whatever it costs for the AGW consequences.

Then what?

OMG! What will we do for light, once all the whale oil runs out?

Forum List

Back