Why Didn't Mary Just Tell Them?

NO! Mary & Joseph were already married, Mary was a virgin she and Joseph never had sex 5)

I don't recall seeing this in the Bible. Jesus had siblings and Joseph and Mary were married. Do the math.

I don't recall seeing this in the Bible. Jesus had siblings and Joseph and Mary were married. Do the math.
Joseph and Mary were married! She was a VIRGIN & YES Jesus had Siblings which were born AFTER JESUS! Joseph had children from a previous marriage

Mary had four other sons, Joseph, James, Jude, and Simon. Because of the virgin birth, Joseph was not the father of Jesus so these were the half brothers of Jesus. The last three mentioned are not to be confused with those who were disciples of Jesus by the same name. Here are some passages where the other sons of Mary by Joseph are mentioned (Matt. 12:46; 13:55; Mark 6:3; John 2:12; 7:3, 5, 10; Acts 1:14; 1 Cor. 9:5; Gal. 1:19).

The Bible only teaches us that Joseph kept her a virgin until after the birth of Jesus ( Matt. 1:18-25)

what does RIOTS have to do with the discussion? There is no question that there was a
MURDER RATE and there were ASSASSINATIONS for various reasons. I believe that the story
of "JAMES" and his execution was a riot----in the form of a lynch mob. It was not
mediated by the sanhedrin as a judicial execution. The idea that little mary would have
been killed by a mob because Joseph might divorce her is beyond idiotic. I understand you,
dud. I grew up in a town that was majority Wasp AND which harbored a catholic school ---
for the largely Irish catholic population. SUNDAY was a holiday----girls my age in
pastel dresses on the way to Sunday school-----I got invited many times. The stupidity
that permeated both the catholic and protestant population equaled yours. You bring
up an interesting FACT------if people wanted to KILL Jesus-----what was stopping them?
According to the NT he hung around with Pharisees------who could have EASILY knocked him
off if they wanted to.

lol Jews rioted all the time; your fantasy that Jews were all passive little Einstein-like law abiding munchkins is just ridiculous. And your anecdotal dramas are just that, overblown neurotic and silly.

If I remember correctly when Mary was starting to show in her belly is when her parents and her husband Joseph started getting suspicious of her being pregnant because they knew that she hadn't slept with Joseph yet as I do believe she got pregnant before she was married. So, then shouldn't she have prepared them for it ahead of time? She had to have known that they were going to ask questions.

Strange is it not? Things have not changed for over 2000 years........as far as gossips go.

Could have something to do with "....the angel of the Lord appeared unto him (Joseph) in a dream.....". Question........where in scripture does it declare that Joseph and Mary's parents KNEW that she hadn't slept with Joseph? The scriptures state,

"When His (Jesus') mother was ESPOUSED TO JOSEPH (espoused: state of marriage), BEFORE THEY CAME TOGETHER (slept together).....she was found with child of the Holy Spirit. Then Joseph being a just man, not wanting to make her a public example........put her away.......(from public view)..........." Matthew 1:18-20

Thus, the scriptures state that Joseph and Mary were married when she found herself with child..........what parent would be SUSPICIOUS of their married child being pregnant? Joseph did exactly what the angel of the Lord instructed of him....exactly to avoid the question that any GOSSIPs would ask.

lol Jews rioted all the time; your fantasy that Jews were all passive little Einstein-like law abiding munchkins is just ridiculous. And your anecdotal dramas are just that, overblown neurotic and silly.
LOL christian men drink excessively and beat their wives and children which accounts
for your delusions and blatant stupidity

If I remember correctly when Mary was starting to show in her belly is when her parents and her husband Joseph started getting suspicious of her being pregnant because they knew that she hadn't slept with Joseph yet as I do believe she got pregnant before she was married. So, then shouldn't she have prepared them for it ahead of time? She had to have known that they were going to ask questions.

Strange is it not? Things have not changed for over 2000 years........as far as gossips go.

Could have something to do with "....the angel of the Lord appeared unto him (Joseph) in a dream.....". Question........where in scripture does it declare that Joseph and Mary's parents KNEW that she hadn't slept with Joseph? The scriptures state,

"When His (Jesus') mother was ESPOUSED TO JOSEPH (espoused: state of marriage), BEFORE THEY CAME TOGETHER (slept together).....she was found with child of the Holy Spirit. Then Joseph being a just man, not wanting to make her a public example........put her away.......(from public view)..........." Matthew 1:18-20

Thus, the scriptures state that Joseph and Mary were married when she found herself with child..........what parent would be SUSPICIOUS of their married child being pregnant? Joseph did exactly what the angel of the Lord instructed of him....exactly to avoid the question that any GOSSIPs would ask.

try again----LEGALLY----ie in Jewish law----an engagement is binding----in order to CALL IT
OFF----the couple would have to divorce. Same rules applied as IF the couple were married.
SAME TODAY. The situation has not changed for more than 2500 years

You have an example of a Jewish RIOT? The Jews of 2000 years ago Judea were
ANTI ROME------which is why Jesus---the PHARISEE ---plotted a demonstration
in the Temple Court Yard to attack the Roman Shill money changers-----that was
something like a riot. Your sunday school whore who taught that the money-changers
were EXPOLITATIVE BANKERS------poisoned your limited brain. That act of sedition
and others is what led to the crucifixion of Jesus-----like approx. 10,000 other Pharisees.
Many Pharisees were not passive at all but they ALL quoted Hillel at that time----with the
"love your neighbor" stuff that the sunday school whore convinced you is a CHRISTIAN
and "anti-pharisee" concept. Time to go the church basement to collect the basket of
jelly beans that the bunny left for you.

My uinderstanding since I actually did read the NT-----is that Mary and Joseph were CONTRACTED
to get married which in Jewish law is a binding thing when she got preggers. Scholars
dig out all kinds of little evidences of Mary, and Joseph and Jesus' life in order to reconstruct
the situation--------they do the best they can

try again----LEGALLY----ie in Jewish law----an engagement is binding----in order to CALL IT
OFF----the couple would have to divorce. Same rules applied as IF the couple were married.
SAME TODAY. The situation has not changed for more than 2500 years
Priceless...........in one breath you attempt to quote JEWISH law in relation to a binding marriage contract.......then in the next you self contradict your logical fallacy...."SAME RULES APPLIED as if the couple were married". But.....you did not mention that the scriptures state, an angel of the Lord appeared unto Joseph and called Mary his wife, ".........fear not to take unto thee Mary thy WIFE...." -- Matt. 1:20 Again.......where does it state that the parents were "suspicious" and concerned about Mary's condition? Truth: Marry and Joseph were instructed to hide the pregnancy via an Angel of the Lord in order to avoid.........GOSSIPING. Joseph and Mary were married after the "conception" of Jesus........its true they were engaged and Joseph found Mary with child and had every right to end that agreement.......... quietly, but the angel appeared and convinced Joseph not to put her away via explaining that Mary was with child but still a virgin. Thus the marriage continued....after the birth of Jesus (even though the time frame is not stated).

Again.....why would anyone be suspicious? Joseph and Mary had to travel to their home town of Bethlehem due to the Census command....while with still with child.

Read the entire passage. The angel of the Lord makes it clear that marriage can take place without sexual intercourse required. Joseph obeyed the angel and took Mary as his wife, "Then Joseph, being aroused from sleep, did as the angel of the Lord commanded him and TOOK TO HIM HIS "WIFE", and did not know her tell she brought forth her firstborn Son." -- Matt. 1:24-25

The birth of our savior the Lord Jesus Christ was not a natural event where natural laws or the laws of men apply..........the birth of the Christ of prophecy (Jesus) was a supernatural event. Being such........would God allow gossip and suspicion to interfere?

The scriptures are quite clear...........Joseph did marry Marry and did not know her (have sex with her) until after the birth of Jesus...then Joseph and Mary had other children which were the physical siblings of the Christ. (Matt. 1:24-25) How do you know the couple had other children? "...............and (Joseph) did not know her (have sex) till she had brought forth her FIRSTBORN (Jesus) Son."

Joseph and Mary were indeed married in every since of the word with the exception they obeyed the angel of the Lord and did not engage in sex until after their first born (Jesus). ;)

Last edited:
Priceless...........in one breath you attempt to quote JEWISH law in relation to a binding marriage contract.......then in the next you self contradict your logical fallacy...."SAME RULES APPLIED as if the couple were married". But.....you did not mention that the scriptures state, an angel of the Lord appeared unto Joseph and called Mary his wife, ".........fear not to take unto thee Mary thy WIFE...." -- Matt. 1:20 Again.......where does it state that the parents were "suspicious" and concerned about Mary's condition? Truth: Marry and Joseph were instructed to hide the pregnancy via an Angel of the Lord in order to avoid.........GOSSIPING.

The birth of our savior the Lord Jesus Christ was not a natural event were natural laws or the laws of men apply..........the birth of the Christ of prophecy (Jesus) was a supernatural event. Being such........would God allow gossip and suspicion to interfere?

The scriptures are quite clear...........Joseph did marry Marry and did not know her (have sex with her) until after the birth of Jesus...then Joseph and Mary had other children which were the physical siblings of the Christ. (Matt. 1:24-25) How do you know the couple had other children? "...............and (Joseph) did not know her (have sex) till she had brought forth her FIRSTBORN (Jesus) Son."

Joseph and Mary were indeed married in every since of the word with the exception they obeyed the angel of the Lord and did not engage in sex until after their first born (Jesus). ;)
LOL it is the MATTHEW OF MYSTERIOUS origin that I do not trust. I read the book
and BELIEVE that it has some, albeit limited, historical value. Married or betrothed,
sex or no sex, siblings or no siblings the Mathew version is something like the TITANIC
movie--------it includes an ANGEL ANGLE, ROMMANCE, HOLLYWOOD. For lots of
Romantic people-----Mary is a VIRGIN forever. It is even an issue in the koran. BTW ---
in aramaic and hebrew "FIRSTBORN" does not indicate that there were more to come---
It seems to me that christian scholars HAVE found more. I like your neighbor GOSSIP
touch

Joseph and Mary were married! She was a VIRGIN & YES Jesus had Siblings which were born AFTER JESUS! Joseph had children from a previous marriage

Mary had four other sons, Joseph, James, Jude, and Simon. Because of the virgin birth, Joseph was not the father of Jesus so these were the half brothers of Jesus. The last three mentioned are not to be confused with those who were disciples of Jesus by the same name. Here are some passages where the other sons of Mary by Joseph are mentioned (Matt. 12:46; 13:55; Mark 6:3; John 2:12; 7:3, 5, 10; Acts 1:14; 1 Cor. 9:5; Gal. 1:19).

The Bible only teaches us that Joseph kept her a virgin until after the birth of Jesus ( Matt. 1:18-25)

I may be well outside of anything that I really know reliably, but somewhere, I was given the impression that the process of getting married in that culture was more long-term. When I got married, as is the case in our culture, it was an event that occurred in a matter of hours, and later that same evening, my new wife and I were free to enjoy the intimate benefits of marriage.

I have the understanding that there was a longer process involved with Joseph and Mary, over a matter of days, perhaps weeks or months, maybe even years; that they were not considered free to enjoy the intimate benefits of marriage until that process was complete; but that it would have been adultery for Mary to have sex with anyone other than Joseph.

I may be well outside of anything that I really know reliably, but somewhere, I was given the impression that the process of getting married in that culture was more long-term. When I got married, as is the case in our culture, it was an event that occurred in a matter of hours, and later that same evening, my new wife and I were free to enjoy the intimate benefits of marriage.

I have the understanding that there was a longer process involved with Joseph and Mary, over a matter of days, perhaps weeks or months, maybe even years; that they were not considered free to enjoy the intimate benefits of marriage until that process was complete; but that it would have been adultery for Mary to have sex with anyone other than Joseph.
Not so sure of weeks or months-----but certainly over days and once a contract or promise
EXISTS, sex outside of the named victim IS adultery unless it is forced. ------sex during
the process is NOT FORNICATION OR ANYTHING OF NOTE-----just questionable manners

LOL christian men drink excessively and beat their wives and children which accounts
chill Bob-----I was responding to the DUD's endless ignorance and stupidity

Yet Jews stampeded over here for decades; then sniveled incessantly when some drunk Episcopalians didn't want to play golf and hang out with them. lol

You have an example of a Jewish RIOT? The Jews of 2000 years ago Judea were
ANTI ROME------which is why Jesus---the PHARISEE ---plotted a demonstration
in the Temple Court Yard to attack the Roman Shill money changers-----that was
something like a riot. Your sunday school whore who taught that the money-changers
were EXPOLITATIVE BANKERS------poisoned your limited brain. That act of sedition
and others is what led to the crucifixion of Jesus-----like approx. 10,000 other Pharisees.
Many Pharisees were not passive at all but they ALL quoted Hillel at that time----with the
"love your neighbor" stuff that the sunday school whore convinced you is a CHRISTIAN
and "anti-pharisee" concept. Time to go the church basement to collect the basket of
jelly beans that the bunny left for you.

Here Rosie makes up rubbish about the Temple scam and how they fleeced the tourists, likely where the Arab bandits got the idea of marketing their 'Pilgrimage To Mecca' scam.

Here Rosie makes up rubbish about the Temple scam and how they fleeced the tourists, likely where the Arab bandits got the idea of marketing their 'Pilgrimage To Mecca' scam.
here the Dud repeats the BS that the jelly bean toting bunny shoved down his throat along
with nauseating "peeps"

Yet Jews stampeded over here for decades; then sniveled incessantly when some drunk Episcopalians didn't want to play golf and hang out with them. lol
I am fascinated, DUD (lol) where is "over here" ? I grew up in a town chock full of
Lutherans and Episcopalians. The local golf club and swimming ditch was completely
"restricted" -----it is true that the local episcopalians and Lutherans and also Irish catholics
DRANK excessively------but none of the jews cared at all about the restricted golf, and
swimming hole club-----for the record they excluded blacks too and hispanics and WOPS.
As a child, I was fascinated at the fact of inebriated beer swilling women. In my experience,
women drank only occasional wine and even us kids were free to do so. Interestingly,
WOP men and women did not show up drunk. You have a citation for your assertion
of "JEWISH RIOTS" over restricted golf clubs? I went swimming in one of those restricted
holes a few times via Lutheran friends-----but I could not UTTER my last name<<< my
intro to your depraved world along with the sunday school experience.

Last edited:
Are you nuts still banging on about this God crap?
Grow up.
anyone who swallows the GOSPEL OF MATTHEW (who ever he was) has to be slightly
nuts. Historic John the baptist was clearly a pharisee which is why Herod's female
relatives plotted to get him killed

LOL it is the MATTHEW OF MYSTERIOUS origin that I do not trust. I read the book
and BELIEVE that it has some, albeit limited, historical value. Married or betrothed,
sex or no sex, siblings or no siblings the Mathew version is something like the TITANIC
movie--------it includes an ANGEL ANGLE, ROMMANCE, HOLLYWOOD. For lots of
Romantic people-----Mary is a VIRGIN forever. It is even an issue in the koran. BTW ---
in aramaic and hebrew "FIRSTBORN" does not indicate that there were more to come---
It seems to me that christian scholars HAVE found more. I like your neighbor GOSSIP
touch
For the record ".... HAD TO JOURNEY TO BETHLEHEM for the census...." is an historic
fiction.

Forum List

Back