Why Can't Poor People Afford Healthy Food?

Yay Monsanto conpiracy time!

Now we know why people buy Fritos!

What conspiracy? Monsanto is an evil, dangerous corporation. Now they're killing all of our bees.
I hope that when we do get the pitchforks out, theirs is the first door we break down.

What conspiracy? Monsanto is an evil, dangerous corporation. Now they're killing all of our bees.
I hope that when we do get the pitchforks out, theirs is the first door we break down.
Wrong corporation. That would be Bayer - the primary producer of the neonicitinoid pesticides (the ones linked to hive bees disappearing).

That's bullshit. All you really need is a can of tuna a banana an apple and a piece of bread glass of milk per day People eat too much!!!!!

Because its too expensive.

Do you know that it is cheaper to buy a jumbo bag of potato chips and a 2 litre bottle of coke than it is to buy a loaf of bread and a bottle of water?

Ever got those catalogues in the mail with the latest specials from your local supermarket? How many times do you see soft drinks, chocolate, chips and cakes discounted, sometimes by up to 50%? Compare that to how many times you see a price reduction on healthy foods, like apples, oranges, bananas, and bottled water.

In KFC the other day, it was cheaper for me to buy a burger, a piece of chicken, three wings, a small popcorn chicken, a regular chips, a regular gravy and a can of Pepsi than it was to buy a salad and a bottle of water. I wanted a salad and a water, but when I compared the prices, I wondered why I should spend more money on a healthy item when I can get the unhealthy food a lot cheaper?

How many other families see this problem? How about no discounts on junk food, and discounts only on healthy foods?

I never used to understand why people claimed they couldn't afford healthy foods, but I understand now, because its true.

Another practical problem is full grocery stores tend to not want to locate in poor neighborhoods. Lots of dollar stores, fast food, and convenience stores - very few actual grocery stores.

Regulations play a large part in the lack of grocery stores in the inner city. I put up a link last night that explained that to build a large supermarket in California you had to have 4 acres of parking.

Well hell's bells, no wonder large chains don't build in the inner cities.

Last edited:

Do you know that it is cheaper to buy a jumbo bag of potato chips and a 2 litre bottle of coke than it is to buy a loaf of bread and a bottle of water?

Ever got those catalogues in the mail with the latest specials from your local supermarket? How many times do you see soft drinks, chocolate, chips and cakes discounted, sometimes by up to 50%? Compare that to how many times you see a price reduction on healthy foods, like apples, oranges, bananas, and bottled water.

In KFC the other day, it was cheaper for me to buy a burger, a piece of chicken, three wings, a small popcorn chicken, a regular chips, a regular gravy and a can of Pepsi than it was to buy a salad and a bottle of water. I wanted a salad and a water, but when I compared the prices, I wondered why I should spend more money on a healthy item when I can get the unhealthy food a lot cheaper?

How many other families see this problem? How about no discounts on junk food, and discounts only on healthy foods?

I never used to understand why people claimed they couldn't afford healthy foods, but I understand now, because its true.

If you want prepared foods, then buying healthy is extremely expensive; however, if you prepare and cook your own meals, buying healthy is possible, even on a reduced budget.

Wrong corporation. That would be Bayer - the primary producer of the neonicitinoid pesticides (the ones linked to hive bees disappearing).

German farmers are suing Bayer over bee colony collapses. Not sure if that's the right word. And if I remember correctly US rice farmers successfully sued Bayer over GM rice.

Last edited:
I paid 99 cents for a head of lettuce yesterday and water out of the tap (Which is safer than bottled water) is extremely cheap. Your post is ridiculous. Poor people can afford healthy food. They choose not to.

Hahahahahaa.....That's right, poor people are just a bunch of stupid @ssholes. All of 'em. And by god why can't they live off of head lettuce and tap water? Sounds like a very healthy, balanced diet to me! What would we call that? The Pol Pot Weight Loss Diet?

Maybe your idea of healthy food is based on an elitism. Water is free unless you decide to constantly hydrate with plastic bottles full of Evian stuff. You can get a loaf of bread for a buck if you look around and salad doesn't have to be made special in an exclusive little plastic package.

Want to reduce this country's health care bill? Educate people away from fast food. Oh no, wait.....I suspect the lobbyists Taco Bell/McDonald's/Burger King has inside the Beltway get paid a lot more than the lobbyists hired by the poor....I'm sure of it, actually.

Bald-R-Dash.

One can have a healthy, low cost meal if one shops appropriately and takes the time to actually cook. A loaf of bread and water are not the only alternatives to chips and soda.

(And many of the people you note buy chips and soda are also likely buying beer and cigarettes.)

Bald-R-Dash.

One can have a healthy, low cost meal if one shops appropriately and takes the time to actually cook. A loaf of bread and water are not the only alternatives to chips and soda.

(And many of the people you note buy chips and soda are also likely buying beer and cigarettes.)

I do understand that there are a lack of large supermarkets in the inner cities, but I've been reading the most insane regulations like a supermarket has to have 4 acres of parking.

YIKES.

Syrenn duly pointed out that unions would have a complete meltdown if Walmart said it was willing to put a Walmart Superstore in every inner city.

They'd riot to keep Walmart out.

Indeed. Unions hate Walmart because Walmart pays its staff wages that enable them to shop at Walmart.

Indeed. Unions hate Walmart because Walmart pays its staff wages that enable them to shop at Walmart.

You mean only at Walmart? Certainly can't afford Whole Foods Market on that measly hourly wage. I suspect Safeway and Kroger's are out of range for your average Walmart worker, too. But the Waltons hold positions 6-9 of the Forbes 400:
No. 6 - Christy Walton
No. 7 - Jim Walton
No. 8 - Alice Walton
No. 9 - S. Robson Walton
with over $100,000,000,000 in combined wealth.
And yet they skimp on every corner when it comes to their workers. Every fucking corner they can.

Last edited:

You mean only at Walmart? Certainly can't afford Whole Foods Market on that measly hourly wage. I suspect Safeway and Kroger's are out of range for your average Walmart worker, too. But the Walton's hold position 6-9 of the Forbes 400:
No. 6 - Christy Walton
No. 7 - Jim Walton
No. 8 - Alice Walton
No. 9 - S. Robson Walton
with over $100,000,000,000 in combined wealth.
And yet they skimp on every corner when it comes to their workers. Every fucking corner they can.

The only point you appear to be making is the one on the top of your head.

But thank you for sharing.

Posting it twice doesn't make make you appear any less incoherent.

Just sayin'.

At what kinda bizzarro, upside down grocery store are you shopping?

Hey. a trip to the store is what you make it. Think more outside of the box. Try some local Farmers Markets for a change, too.

I paid 99 cents for a head of lettuce yesterday and water out of the tap (Which is safer than bottled water) is extremely cheap. Your post is ridiculous. Poor people can afford healthy food. They choose not to.

Hahahahahaa.....That's right, poor people are just a bunch of stupid @ssholes. All of 'em. And by god why can't they live off of head lettuce and tap water? Sounds like a very healthy, balanced diet to me! What would we call that? The Pol Pot Weight Loss Diet?

If they were bright, I would imagine they could figure out a way not to be in poverty, if that's what they wanted.

If you want prepared foods, then buying healthy is extremely expensive; however, if you prepare and cook your own meals, buying healthy is possible, even on a reduced budget.

Eggs, Dairy in general, canned soups, chili, beans, Granola, there are tons of choices, more every day. What you choose to support does become more main stream.

Forum List

Back