Why Can't Poor People Afford Healthy Food?

Bag of flour, packet of yeast, pinch of salt, and some water....dirt cheap bread and a hell of a lot better tasting than store bought.

Brita water filter and tap water.

But you have to buy the bread maker, first - how much does that cost.

nope....bread is 1.99 maybe and water is 1.00

coke is 1.25 and chips depending on size and bag 99.2.50+

Prices are different here, don't forget!

You must be fortunate to live in an area where the tap water is actually drinkable. I invite you to my place to drink the tap water. If you like it cloudy and full of grit, I am sure you it will be a real thirst quencher.

Have you ever considered getting your pipes checked and make sure they aren't rusting through or having your water provider coming and testing the water and complaining to them that the water quality is poor? I know if I have cloudy gritty water, I'd damn well complain to those I pay my water bill to.

Done that, water company said nothing is wrong. The water is okay now, it changes every once in a while, but it still tastes like shit. I only drink bottled water - there is an obvious difference in taste between our tap water and bottled water.

No breadmaker, silly....just roll the dough into a log, partially slice perpendicular to the longitudinal axis, and toss on a cookie sheet and into the oven (put a pan of water on lower oven shelf for humidity so that you get that great crust). That's a good baquette. I don't bake many things, but this is about as easy as it gets.

Wonder (or any other packaged breads, pretty much) bread? :puke: Not when I can do that ^^^^.

Last edited:
In California you have to blame the lack of inner city grocery stores on Democrat lawmakers.

I'm not being partisan here. Just telling it like it is. Check out these regulations. And by the way this is from an excellent article on the difficulty of getting grocery stores into the inner city.

I mean come on. Four acres of parking required? In an inner city?

Top grocery chains say the high cost and low availability of land keeps them away from these neighborhoods.

Full service supermarkets are required to have 50,000 sq. ft. buildings and four acres of parking.

The long permit process in California is also a deterrent.

"It's hard to develop a plan for a large grocery because the building costs and estimates can change significantly over the course of the permit process," says Dave Heylen, vice president of communications for the California Grocers Association, which represents 6,000 stores in California.

The Association says it is working with city officials to overcome legal barriers to new grocery stores

Inner-city L.A. hungers for good grocery stores - CSMonitor.com

and dont forget the hand in hand reason.... the unions!

The inner city here crys... we have no grocery.... but try and get one in.. and the unions have a shit fit and block anything... THEY dont approve of.

Which unions? It's just a screw the poor country (read black)...

boo friggin hoo

whitey keepin you down

Last edited:
Because its too expensive.

Do you know that it is cheaper to buy a jumbo bag of potato chips and a 2 litre bottle of coke than it is to buy a loaf of bread and a bottle of water?

Ever got those catalogues in the mail with the latest specials from your local supermarket? How many times do you see soft drinks, chocolate, chips and cakes discounted, sometimes by up to 50%? Compare that to how many times you see a price reduction on healthy foods, like apples, oranges, bananas, and bottled water.

In KFC the other day, it was cheaper for me to buy a burger, a piece of chicken, three wings, a small popcorn chicken, a regular chips, a regular gravy and a can of Pepsi than it was to buy a salad and a bottle of water. I wanted a salad and a water, but when I compared the prices, I wondered why I should spend more money on a healthy item when I can get the unhealthy food a lot cheaper?

How many other families see this problem? How about no discounts on junk food, and discounts only on healthy foods?

I never used to understand why people claimed they couldn't afford healthy foods, but I understand now, because its true.

Bullshit.

It is because rich people keep WalMart out of the cities where poor people live.

Bag of flour, packet of yeast, pinch of salt, and some water....dirt cheap bread and a hell of a lot better tasting than store bought.

LOL.... oh no you dont need a bread maker to make bread....you need a bowl and an oven to bake

How about buying a cookbook or looking online for recipes?

Silly us, for generations we've always used the oven not some fancy bread maker. Maybe that's what the problem is, too many people think the oven is the place you store shit.

:lol:Truth. Now I don't mind using my bread maker on a dough cycle when I'm in a hurry (bought at a my favorite store, the Mennonite Thrift Shop gently used for a song).

My preference is to enjoy the art of kneading. It's a stress reliever and an anger management program all in one.

Let the dough rise and punch it down. YAY!

:D

Prices are different here, don't forget!

Have you ever considered getting your pipes checked and make sure they aren't rusting through or having your water provider coming and testing the water and complaining to them that the water quality is poor? I know if I have cloudy gritty water, I'd damn well complain to those I pay my water bill to.

Done that, water company said nothing is wrong. The water is okay now, it changes every once in a while, but it still tastes like shit. I only drink bottled water - there is an obvious difference in taste between our tap water and bottled water.

No breadmaker, silly....just roll the dough into a log, partially slice perpendicular to the longitudinal axis, and toss on a cookie sheet and into the oven (put a pan of water on lower oven shelf for humidity so that you get that great crust). That's a good baquette. I don't bake many things, but this is about as easy as it gets.

Wonder (or any other packaged breads, pretty much) bread? :puke: Not when I can do that ^^^^.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWOJovFzWfw]How to Make Bread from Scratch- NO BREADMAKER NEEDED - YouTube[/ame]

There are so many inexpensive lovely recipes out there. My heritage is Ukranian/Irish (potatoes have figured prominently in my life).

I grew up on perogies, borscht, cabbage rolls, potato pancakes. All cheap and oh so good.

There is a world of recipes that are based on "peasant food" and are absolutely fabulous.

There are so many inexpensive lovely recipes out there. My heritage is Ukranian/Irish (potatoes have figured prominently in my life).

I grew up on perogies, borscht, cabbage rolls, potato pancakes. All cheap and oh so good.

There is a world of recipes that are based on "peasant food" and are absolutely fabulous.

I like Huckabee's idea that "if it wasn't food 100yrs ago, don't eat it". Hard to follow, but we do try as much as we can.

slappy-monsanto-on.jpg

Poh folks get tax dollars in the way of social bennies, like food stamps & cash. Why should they eat healthy food when they can afford potato chips & beer? i mean if these poh folks need medical assistance because of a poor diet... the medical is free through subsidization of tax monies.

If I was poh enough to afford it I'd be smokin' those big Cuban Havana's, drinking the cold ones & eating potato chips too! Wouldn't U???

People on food stamps can't buy beer.

Bullshit. They simply use the food stamps for food, which free up their own Cash they would have needed to use on food, to buy Beer.

Poh folks get tax dollars in the way of social bennies, like food stamps & cash. Why should they eat healthy food when they can afford potato chips & beer? i mean if these poh folks need medical assistance because of a poor diet... the medical is free through subsidization of tax monies.

If I was poh enough to afford it I'd be smokin' those big Cuban Havana's, drinking the cold ones & eating potato chips too! Wouldn't U???

Bullshit. They simply use the food stamps for food, which free up their own Cash they would have needed to use on food, to buy Beer.

Beer or crack, one or the other

Maybe if politicians did not close the departments that over see welfare recipients they would not be able to scam the system and people would be educated in the ways of buying healthy food and gaining independence.

One of the tools it takes to buy healthy foods is *knowledge*.
'Poor' is as much an attitude as it is a financial situation (read Oscar Lewis' "The Culture of Poverty") and yes, knowledge still empowers individuals.

Because its too expensive.

Do you know that it is cheaper to buy a jumbo bag of potato chips and a 2 litre bottle of coke than it is to buy a loaf of bread and a bottle of water?

Ever got those catalogues in the mail with the latest specials from your local supermarket? How many times do you see soft drinks, chocolate, chips and cakes discounted, sometimes by up to 50%? Compare that to how many times you see a price reduction on healthy foods, like apples, oranges, bananas, and bottled water.

In KFC the other day, it was cheaper for me to buy a burger, a piece of chicken, three wings, a small popcorn chicken, a regular chips, a regular gravy and a can of Pepsi than it was to buy a salad and a bottle of water. I wanted a salad and a water, but when I compared the prices, I wondered why I should spend more money on a healthy item when I can get the unhealthy food a lot cheaper?

How many other families see this problem? How about no discounts on junk food, and discounts only on healthy foods?

I never used to understand why people claimed they couldn't afford healthy foods, but I understand now, because its true.

Another practical problem is full grocery stores tend to not want to locate in poor neighborhoods. Lots of dollar stores, fast food, and convenience stores - very few actual grocery stores.

Because unhealthy junk food is heavily subsidized and because of the the commodities-driven corn glut. Healthy food is not subsidized. Megacorporations make a killing off of processed crap... broccoli, not so much. THAT is why non-nutritious junk food is so much cheaper than real food.

Forum List

Back