Why Bill Russell is the NBA GOAT

I'm interested in the best talent, you're interested in the best manifestation.

You think that a modern soldier with an AK-47 who pulls a trigger is a greater warrior than that of a roman legion who only has a sword. You're dumb, I'm not.
Did Russell play with a rock, and MJ a regular basketball? Is the hoop shorter or bigger now than before? is the court different? No? If the Roman soldier showed up and the modern one picked up a sword and ran circles around him before chopping off his head then yeah the modern soldier would be a better warrior. thats what would happen if Russell showed up in today’s NBA, or MJ, or Kobe’s era.

Did Russell play with a rock, and MJ a regular basketball? Is the hoop shorter or bigger now than before? is the court different? No? If the Roman soldier showed up and the modern one picked up a sword and ran circles around him before chopping off his head then yeah the modern soldier would be a better warrior. thats what would happen if Russell showed up in today’s NBA, or MJ, or Kobe’s era.
I'm sorry to be insulting, but are you incapable of understanding the difference between a player who only attends basketball practice and is successfull with mere natural and practiced basketball-only athleteics against a player who squats, does plyometrics, takes supplemental enhancements, studies shooting form videos, and benefits from modern court strategies???

If Bill Russell been taught basketball out of the crib, played AAU ball, done plyos and modern training, taken modern supplements, and gone through modern basketball programs.. he'd be dominant just as players today are. You're being a fool, on purpose.

I'm sorry to be insulting, but are you incapable of understanding the difference between a player who only attends basketball practice and is successfull with mere natural and practiced basketball-only athleteics against a player who squats, does plyometrics, takes supplemental enhancements, studies shooting form videos, and benefits from modern court strategies???

If Bill Russell been taught basketball out of the crib, played AAU ball, done plyos and modern training, taken modern supplements, and gone through modern basketball programs.. he'd be dominant just as players today are. You're being a fool, on purpose.

This is quite literally the dumbest argument I've heard for someone being the GOAT. Great job.

So then you discount quite a bit of overall sports history? I understand the issue with exposure, but the truth of beating the best in front of you who know and practice the game is real. It was a smaller pool of occupants, but those who were best shine through. I'm sure you could theorize some person from another country could have done better, that's fine.. I'm dealing with reality.

Again, if you stuck MJ or Lebron back into 1962, and took away all of their time priviledges like back to the future such as their cross-training, early youth training, and intellectual strategies that were developed over time.. you'd have similar clunky, athletic oafs who existed in the 1960's.

You don't seem capable of comprehending the era-discrimination that you're violently giving off. You're avoiding my examples.

First off……If you stick MJ or LeBron in the 40s or 50s they absolutely DOMINATE. Regardless of training, physically, they dominate. MJ won because of his obsession with winning. That doesn’t change by era

Overall I am shooting holes in your Bill Russell GOAT claims

When your sole reasoning is 11 Championships and I demonstrate how shallow being champion is a league of 8 teams in a minor sport, your claim lacks merit
Especially when Wilt was a superior player of the era

Last edited:
First off……If you stick MJ or LeBron in the 40s or 50s they absolutely DOMINATE. Regardless of training, physically, they dominate. MJ won because of his obsession with winning. That doesn’t change by era

When your sole reasoning is 11 Championships and I demonstrate how shallow being champion is a league of 8 teams in a minor sport, your claim lacks merit
Russel was a good player on a team of good players that has the rules and laws of drafting on its side for that time period.

Russel was a good player on a team of good players that has the rules and laws of drafting on its side for that time period.
Also, no Free Agency
The Celtics were able to build a team of future Hall of Famers and keep them for over a decade

Ahh...now you know what it is like arguing with a Trump-bot....

You guys are batshit crazy once you internalize an argument...completely immune from facts, logic, and civility. Its was only a matter of time.
It's the sports forum. If you want to talk politics, there's forum for that as well.

While I've enjoyed your absolute destruction of this fool.... I think I'll add a little voice to what I think is a fact that James, Jordan and Bryant would not be the same people that they were and likely not the players that they were in the 90's and 2000's if they had to have lived in the 40's and 50's. Like you, I think they'd be absolute holy terrors on the basketball court. I mean picture Hal Green (for one) trying to get past Jordan... Hal Greer was a kid during WWII then came of age during the segregated divide in our nation...I can't imagine what type of nonsense he faced day in and day out; Stuff that the 3 I mentioned before never had to have faced on a continual basis...where you can't go into this restaurant and you're not welcome to sleep at that hotel? Would they have had the mental toughness to overcome? I think so. But would there have been a price to pay (none the least of which was having to go to college for James and Bryant) along the way as well. So I don't think it's a star-trek type of teleportation scenario where you could just beam these players onto the floor at Boston Garden and ignore the social elements that were going on at the time. That being said...you're right. The NBA teams back then were closer to NIT invitees today.

Who? It’s quite literally everyone.
LMAO!

He said "literally"!!! LMAO!!!! Do I, and plenty of basketball historicans, not exist?

Maybe "everyone" in your small niche of internet modernist basketball nerds. Show me where anything is absolutely settled.

And tell me again about all that AAU basketball MJ played. LOL.

Is your argument really that Russell isn’t as good as MJ Kobe and Lebron but that doesn’t matter because he was born earlier?
My easily comprehendable contention is that if someone is raised without modern training, supplements, and knowledge, they shouldn't be judged by modern standards and compared to modern players. The proper thought experiment is to for a second take away the modern training, supplements, and knowledge that today's players had, and put them back into the day where they actually had to work jobs and only went to basketball practice.

It's an honest practice.

Last edited:
While I've enjoyed your absolute destruction of this fool.... I think I'll add a little voice to what I think is a fact that James, Jordan and Bryant would not be the same people that they were and likely not the players that they were in the 90's and 2000's if they had to have lived in the 40's and 50's. Like you, I think they'd be absolute holy terrors on the basketball court. I mean picture Hal Green (for one) trying to get past Jordan... Hal Greer was a kid during WWII then came of age during the segregated divide in our nation...I can't imagine what type of nonsense he faced day in and day out; Stuff that the 3 I mentioned before never had to have faced on a continual basis...where you can't go into this restaurant and you're not welcome to sleep at that hotel? Would they have had the mental toughness to overcome? I think so. But would there have been a price to pay (none the least of which was having to go to college for James and Bryant) along the way as well. So I don't think it's a star-trek type of teleportation scenario where you could just beam these players onto the floor at Boston Garden and ignore the social elements that were going on at the time. That being said...you're right. The NBA teams back then were closer to NIT invitees today.
Looks like you're hung up on me.

You agree that suddenly teleporting players from back then to now to judge their greatness is intellectually dishonest. That's good, because it's logically an honest practice to not make that mistake, like so many on this thread are.

Of course there's going to be difference. However, if you gave the guys from the 40's, 50's, and 60's modern techniques, they'd fit right into modern basketball. ESPN/NBA fan boys just love their brands, and it angers them when anyone questions them.

LMAO!

Maybe "everyone" in your small niche of internet modernist basketball nerds. Show me where anything is absolutely settled.

My easily comprehendable contention is that if someone is raised without modern training, supplements, and knowledge, they shouldn't be judged by modern standards and compared to modern players. The proper thought experiment is to for a second take away the modern training, supplements, and knowledge that today's players had, and put them back into the day where they actually had to work jobs and only went to basketball practice.

It's an honest practice.
Link up a credible site that has anyone other than MJ Kobe or Lebron as the GOAT.

Theres no way to know what kind of player anyone would be other than the player they are. Bottom line is Russell is not only not the GOAT he’s not even in the top 5 centers.

Wilt
Kareem
The Dream
Shaq
Ewing
Admiral
Malone

all better players all would have destroyed Russell.

LMAO, I love the faithful, religious zeal of MJ's "obsession with winning" as some sort of point. You sound like a cult follower. If I had to choose between Michael Jordan and Bill Russell as far as who could do something to save our planet, I would safely choose Bill Russell, as his "will to win", by your standards, clearly exceeds MJ's.

Nope, you're disagreeing, with uncompelling arguments for your claim.
ra
This is the last time I'll explain this to you, Bill Russell only played against 8 teams in the first years of his career. To anyone worth their salt, you're exposing yourself as an NBA historian imbecile. It's funny how mis-informed you are about the era, and yet so bull-headed as to you repeat claims you know that are wrong just to try to jab at people who you don't know on a web site. Surely pathetic. Take your anger and spite somewhere else.

Link up a credible site that has anyone other than MJ Kobe or Lebron as the GOAT.

Theres no way to know what kind of player anyone would be other than the player they are. Bottom line is Russell is not only not the GOAT he’s not even in the top 5 centers.

Wilt
Kareem
The Dream
Shaq
Ewing
Admiral
Malone

all better players all would have destroyed Russell.
Here's the thing, you're clearly such a clutish, religiously-zealed nut that the term "credible" comes into play. You'll call anything that disagree with your gospel as not credible.. so why should I waste my time? You're an NBA zionist here. Do you have a prayer you recite to your NBA gods at night?

Quit saying stupid shit and people will stop calling you stupid. Pretty simple concept
You're saying what stupid people say when they run out of intelligent things to say and then attack the people they can't hang with mentally.

It's okay, let it all out.

This is the last time I'll explain this to you, Bill Russell only played against 8 teams in the first years of his career. To anyone worth their salt, you're exposing yourself as an NBA historian imbecile.

Show me…

What did it expand to? Ten Teams?

How do you compare that to winning Championships with a league of 30 teams and the best players in the world?

NBA in Russels day was a sideshow sport
Winning their Championship was not that great an achievement

Forum List

Back