Why are we so easily offended?

AzogtheDefiler

The Pale Orc
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 4, 2018
Boston, MA
  1. We cannot assume gender. I had young people (teens and early 20s) tell me that they ask new people they meet what gender they prefer before addressing them. New normal? Weird
  2. Statues and Dixie are offensive? When will the word "South" become offensive?
  3. American Flag and the Anthem are offensive. Why? I have been to 100s of games and ALWAYS before the anthem is played the PA says "please rise to honor those who served". How is it racist to honor those who served?
  4. Saying anything positive about our police officers on social media is now offensive? Why? Because some (very few) are bad? That doesn't make much sense considering that the vast majority are great people who risk their lives to protect us. Why can I not support our local police force without people becoming offended?
  5. Since when is silence violence? And it is also violence when someone has a disparate opinion from the "Woke" crowd? Why??

Let's see how many responses mention "Trump" in them when this has nothing to do with Trump.

1. We cannot assume gender. I had young people (teens and early 20s) tell me that they ask new people they meet what gender they prefer before addressing them. New normal? Weird
  2. Statues and Dixie are offensive? When will the word "South" become offensive?
  3. American Flag and the Anthem are offensive. Why? I have been to 100s of games and ALWAYS before the anthem is played the PA says "please rise to honor those who served". How is it racist to honor those who served?
  4. Saying anything positive about our police officers on social media is now offensive? Why? Because some (very few) are bad? That doesn't make much sense considering that the vast majority are great people who risk their lives to protect us. Why can I not support our local police force without people becoming offended?
  5. Since when is silence violence? And it is also violence when someone has a disparate opinion from the "Woke" crowd? Why??

Let's see how many responses mention "Trump" in them when this has nothing to do with Trump.

1) Why do you care what someone identifies as? It doesn't affect you, it's not something you should worry about.
2) These statues and figures were always offensive. They were traitors for crying out loud.
3) Once again, you fail to grasp that it's not about disrespect. It's about unequal treatment under that same flag. I'm assuming you're white so you don't have to experience that side of the unequal treatment. Not everyone gets that luxury.
4) Police have been allowed a lot of leniency and deferential treatment over the years. Before George Floyd (which was just the tipping point), the bad apples usually got a slap on the wrist and right back out on the streets to continue their bad behavior. Can you see why people might be upset? You and I wouldn't be allowed to get away with that kind of behavior.
5) I'll use the phrase Silence is Condoning. You can of course have whatever opinion you'd like. But can you honestly watch that George Floyd video from the beginning and not say, "How can one human being do this to another?". By silence, you are giving tacit permission for the behavior to continue.

It's a tactic for some, an opportunity to prove their political bonafides for others.

1. American Flag and the Anthem are offensive. Why? I have been to 100s of games and ALWAYS before the anthem is played the PA says "please rise to honor those who served". How is it racist to honor those who served?

I agree with you on everything you said, but let's be honest the right gets triggered just as easily.

1) Why do you care what someone identifies as? It doesn't affect you, it's not something you should worry about.
2) These statues and figures were always offensive. They were traitors for crying out loud.
3) Once again, you fail to grasp that it's not about disrespect. It's about unequal treatment under that same flag. I'm assuming you're white so you don't have to experience that side of the unequal treatment. Not everyone gets that luxury.
4) Police have been allowed a lot of leniency and deferential treatment over the years. Before George Floyd (which was just the tipping point), the bad apples usually got a slap on the wrist and right back out on the streets to continue their bad behavior. Can you see why people might be upset? You and I wouldn't be allowed to get away with that kind of behavior.
5) I'll use the phrase Silence is Condoning. You can of course have whatever opinion you'd like. But can you honestly watch that George Floyd video from the beginning and not say, "How can one human being do this to another?". By silence, you are giving tacit permission for the behavior to continue.

1) When someone gets pissy because I called them the wrong pronoun, it affects me.
2) George Washington and Thomas Jefferson were traitors?
3) No matter what the protester thinks it means, they can't dictate how people perceive it.
4) So making their job impossible, making there be less of them, and ALSO gutting a person's RKBA at the same time is the solution?
5) Some people just refuse to give sound bite responses expected by SJW losers like you. Your side then uses that as a "victory moment" and then ask for something even more retarded.

I hope you enjoyed your fisking, you SJW wuss.

1. American Flag and the Anthem are offensive. Why? I have been to 100s of games and ALWAYS before the anthem is played the PA says "please rise to honor those who served". How is it racist to honor those who served?

I agree with you on everything you said, but let's be honest the right gets triggered just as easily.

The difference is the right doesn't call for people to be cancelled, unless it's holding the left to their own standard for their own people.

And that is just fighting back, not a policy we want to continue.

Kinda like how people are offended by “Black lives matter” as opposed to “all lives matter”?

The difference is the right doesn't call for people to be cancelled, unless it's holding the left to their own standard for their own people.

The posts here don't mention canceling anything (that I noticed at least), but just the concept of being offended.

Should we ask Bill Maher about it?

Kinda like how people are offended by “Black lives matter” as opposed to “all lives matter”?

No one is trying to stop people from saying black lives matter, all the butt hurt happens when someone responds all lives matter, or blue lives matter.

How did he get "cancelled"? He's still on HBO, and from what I've seen he isn't left enough to suit some of you vanguard types.

The posts here don't mention canceling anything (that I noticed at least), but just the concept of being offended.

Cancelling is the "we ain't censoring nobody" action that is caused by being offended, or perpetually offended.

One can't discuss the first without the 2nd.

No one is trying to stop people from saying black lives matter, all the butt hurt happens when someone responds all lives matter, or blue lives matter.
I wouldn’t go that far.

Are people offended by “black lives matter”? Yes. Yes they are.

How did he get "cancelled"? He's still on HBO, and from what I've seen he isn't left enough to suit some of you vanguard types.
He was on ABC some time ago. His show was cancelled by right wing cancel culture.

#1) Why are they offended? If I see a man and call him a "he" why is that on me? Biology is what it is?

#2) Lincoln, Jefferson and Washington are traitors? To England not to the US? How is a statue offensive?

#3) The anthem says specifically to honor those who served. Nothing about treatment. Women have been mistreated for how long, regardless of color, why aren't we kneeling for that? Why can we not salute those who served? So you're saying its my fault we have racist people in the US and that kneeling for the flag will cure racism?

#4) Media only concentrates on bad policing. Sells eyes. What about the 95% who are great police officers that protect us? How quickly we forget 9/11 and the Boston Marathon bombings when the police were great.

#5) That is one video and one incident. So now I have to bash all cops because of the worst of the worst is captured on video? So now I cannot say, yes that was awful but that is an anomaly? OR not say anything? Why? Why cannot both statements be accurate? Antonio Brown is an awful human being but we don't judge all NFL players based on who Antonio Brown is. Or Darren Sharper? Or Rae Caruth? Why are we judging all cops based on Derek Chauvin vs. all those who gave their lives at 9/11? Or the Dallas shootings or the Boston Marathon tragedy?

I wouldn’t go that far.

Are people offended by “black lives matter”? Yes. Yes they are.

No, people are offended by the actions of Black Lives Matter. One is an organization, the other is a concept.

He was on ABC some time ago. His show was cancelled by right wing cancel culture.

Evidence?

And now he is on HBO, which gives him probably just as large of an audience, as well as far less limits on his language and topics.

Forum List

Back