Why Are We Not Amending the Constitution

HikerGuy83

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2021
I would have thought that given the Dobbs ruling, you'd see an effort to amend the Constitution. Not aware of anything.

I know people say it's hard to do, but if it is what the people want, they'll get it. In the early 1900's, there were several amendments.

I am not sure if how proposed amendments (and there have been many....especially around a balanced budget) are voted on, but I am starting to think we need that information.

I would have thought that given the Dobbs ruling, you'd see an effort to amend the Constitution. Not aware of anything.

I know people say it's hard to do, but if it is what the people want, they'll get it. In the early 1900's, there were several amendments.

I am not sure if how proposed amendments (and there have been many....especially around a balanced budget) are voted on, but I am starting to think we need that information.
Nobody trust anyone to hold the pen when re-writing the document. Our business model is several decades (if not a century) out of date. It will eventually be the thing that destroys the nation; not immigration; not debt; not the absence of God or religion....We have a business model based on trust and we don't trust each other (or anyone else). So the constitution isn't so much a rule book as it is a schematic to find the loopholes you can exploit because some dude in the 1700's didn't think to include a clause that prevents XY or Z.

Not much point in amending it. It’s already ignored and disregarded by the courts, which have been highjacked by radical leftwing lunatics.

As our founding fathers said, a republic can only stand as long as its people are a God fearing people. When it is run by the corrupt, by the sycophants, it stands no chance.

I know people say it's hard to do, but if it is what the people want, they'll get it.
That^ is precisely the reason there have been no amendments in recent history. The process is spelled out in the Constitution in Article V. Basically, the amendment has to be agreed upon by a 2/3 majority of House and Senate members. Think of how RARE that kind of agreement would be, these days.

That amendment then has to be voted on in all 50 states.

Then: Constitutional Amendment Process

"A proposed amendment becomes part of the Constitution as soon as it is ratified by three-fourths of the States (38 of 50 States)."

This is why we see the Left trying constantly to use executive orders to change laws that they cannot pass in Congress nor seek to amend the Constitution for.

The Amendment process is specified(described) within the Constitution.
One could start by reading and understanding the Constitution. For voting citizens it is their owner's manual of their government.

You will find part of the answer your seek within understanding the Amendment process.

Many of our nation's problems start with not knowing or understanding the Constitution, ...
... or our history for that matter.
And a few other things like basic economics, sciences, etc. ...

no amendment is needed. article 1 gives congress no power to prohibit abortion or to track the periods of americans. amendment 14 affirms equal protection from state over reach .

Nobody trust anyone to hold the pen when re-writing the document. Our business model is several decades (if not a century) out of date. It will eventually be the thing that destroys the nation; not immigration; not debt; not the absence of God or religion....We have a business model based on trust and we don't trust each other (or anyone else). So the constitution isn't so much a rule book as it is a schematic to find the loopholes you can exploit because some dude in the 1700's didn't think to include a clause that prevents XY or Z.

Thank you.

I would agree.....when we call someone a "Constitutional Scholar" it means they know how to game the system.

Thank you.

I would agree.....when we call someone a "Constitutional Scholar" it means they know how to game the system.
I’d like to argue about that point...but I can’t. You’re right. The truly sad thing is, however, that there are profoundly warped people of all ideologies who will look at the practice of gaming the system and still try to pretend that the founders left these giant loopholes because of some innate wisdom they had but we don’t in this day and age.

no amendment is needed. article 1 gives congress no power to prohibit abortion or to track the periods of americans. amendment 14 affirms equal protection from state over reach .

Except that didn't happen......soooooo.......

I’d like to argue about that point...but I can’t. You’re right. The truly sad thing is, however, that there are profoundly warped people of all ideologies who will look at the practice of gaming the system and still try to pretend that the founders left these giant loopholes because of some innate wisdom they had but we don’t in this day and age.

You somewhat lost me (it's Saturday morning.....I'm still waking up).

I think you hit the nail on the head with your comment about trust. It's a huge issue.

Forum List

Back