Why are the homeless, homeless?

watchingfromafar

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2017

My personal belief is that the homeless were abandoned by their families for whatever reason.

Does anyone know of any studies on this?

:)-

My personal belief is that the homeless were abandoned by their families for whatever reason.

Nope. Most homeless are that way by choice, or bad choices. Even when families struggle to keep them off the streets, they often would rather be homeless because of easily-available drugs, and not having to answer to anyone. I've had dealings with more than several homeless women when I lived in Texas. You can help them try to straighten out their lives and get off drugs, but they invariably seem to end up back on the streets.

Poor family situations, delved into poisons, police messed with their lives at a young age, impeded in their job pursuits and screwed them over for life., etc.

Last edited:
Poor family situations, delved into poisons, police messed wth theirr lives at a young age and screwed them over for life., etc.
There must be more to it than that.

Did the mother get pregnant out of rape, and she took it out on her child?

Many homeless have a destroyed psyche. Loss of a beloved one, experiences made in war, drugs. Those people are despised and left alone to die in the streets. But it is just an illness that takes their desire to live.

there are numerous reasons why....mental health and substance abuse are large reasons...but there is a subculture of people that simply want to live this way, they take advantage of welfare programs, and charity, and simply live off others.

Nope. Most homeless are that way by choice, or bad choices. Even when families struggle to keep them off the streets, they often would rather be homeless because of easily-available drugs, and not having to answer to anyone. I've had dealings with more than several homeless women when I lived in Texas. You can help them try to straighten out their lives and get off drugs, but they invariably seem to end up back on the streets.
No. Honestly, this is just the usual, straight up right wing talking points. The answers are more complicated that that. One of the big reasons the "Christian conservatives" on the right won't propose any working solutions.

Probably been studied to death. When the conclusions aren't acceptable more studies are conducted.

While there are several different reasons, I don't think that one ranks very high. Probably the biggest percentage is people who are either addicts or mentally unstable, followed by people who just can't afford to live anymore.

No. Honestly, this is just the usual, straight up right wing talking points. The answers are more complicated that that. One of the big reasons the "Christian conservatives" on the right won't propose any working solutions.

conservatives are by and large more likely to give to charity to help homeless then folks that ID as libs…why? Because libs are selfish and don’t care about people being homeless

conservatives are by and large more likely to give to charity to help homeless then folks that ID as libs…why? Because libs are selfish and don’t care about people being homeless
And that, board members, takes the cake for the biggest load of shit I've seen typed today. :)

Forum List

Back